[Reina] Headlock: How to Make Sure Your Opponent Doesn't Get to Play Netrunner

As memory serves, it was ice/Ice/hedge first turn, score hostile second turn, and OAI archer/EBC/CorpTown behind Archer turn 3. It seems without finding Eater you can David through it, but it doesn’t derez it, so I got to pressure David and recursion power this way. Once eater and crescentus landed a few turns later I was ahead economically and could abandon the archer-only server and let it serve as headlock recovery/SEA threat and switched to a Curtain/changeling remote. After i put an Oaktown down and IAAed it he put a Lamprey down and took me to zero, so I bounced Archer & used the 4 to triple advance Oaktown getting up to 8 credits.

Anecdotal, but CorpTown aside, Oaktown seems like a big deal to headlock in a rush deck thus far.

3 Likes

Also, glad @eric_c put in a couple months on this- losing to it repeatedly (lol) by his hand helped me be prepared to face a Vamp/denial Quetzal and 2 Reina in my seven rounds!

1 Like

How do you guys feel about adding in faust on top of eater or replacing a eater. One of the issues i found was some times you just need to access that sundew (add any other money asset) thats behind ice like himitsu.

I dont know if peddler has a place i this deck. Loosing events to it just hurts.

Which events are you worried about losing? All your best cards aren’t events. Also the idea that you’re ‘losing’ cards that go under Peddler is similar to the milling fallacy.

5 Likes

Losing Deja and IHW primarily, gives you less pliability in your deck. You don’t want to Clone Chip a Lamprey really… although, hitting the Lamprey on Peddler is pretty rad for that mid-HQ run. Do you think the good outweighs the bad? You have less events to lose but like most decks the ones you CAN lose can hurt the most. Hitting Earthrise/Casts/Xanadu could also suck early. Seems Street Peddler fits a balanced deck the most; perhaps Inject could be run with it so you aren’t so resource-dependant? Finding that Vamp with Inject is pretty clutch, but losing it and Deja to Peddler, less so.

This is another - you don’t draw your whole deck so the cards you don’t get to play with peddler are irrelevant situation. Peddler might whiff, and that will feel bad, but it’s no different to the cases where the toys you wanted were hiding at the bottom of your deck. You’re actually armed with the information that those tools aren’t available, which is better than them hiding at the bottom of the deck.

2 Likes

I agree with this sentiment except that the information is public, which does affect things. Playing a control deck like Reina, a knowledgeable Corp may be able to react more aggressively if they see you lose 2 cards, not unlike playing reactionary to MaxX’s mills.

3 Likes

I guess this could happen, but if you’re banking on finding a ihw or deja just wait on your peddler.

But yes, I’m not sure Reina really wants it here. Maybe faust, probably not peddler.

It would really hurt to lose a vamp, I already want a third in the deck as is, but it might be worth it for the instant speed install.

You’re not ‘losing’ that Vamp unless you end up drawing your whole deck.

2 Likes

You’re losing an opportunity to use that particular Vamp if the opportunity presents itself. You cannot un-know that you have milled it once you do. Every time you use a recursion card like Deja or SoT to bring back something you involuntarily milled you’re losing flow unless your deck is designed with recursion of events in mind, like Inject and Clone Chip.

This argument doesn’t work during the deckbuilding stage, or when deciding whether to play a card. It’s exactly the same as the milling fallacy in that sense.

Before playing Peddler it might be just as likely to dig you to the Vamp a turn quicker for all you know

8 Likes

Until you play it, collapsing all possibilities. You can’t deny inherent risk in playing it- all cards in netrunner have different values and are used at different opportunities. That being said, I don’t disagree, simply want to add that careful piloting will be wise. When noise mills non-agenda cards it is also inconsequential, until you see what you milled and gain a possibility to adapt your strategy; I simply apply that same logic to the runner along with the fact that runner cards go to the heap face up, which could put the runner at a disadvantage. Until the boat is seen, it could be anything (it could even be a boat!), but once it is seen the information is given and not able to be reclaimed.

Your logic is flawed. With your approach you should also shuffle your deck as little as possible because each extra shuffle is another chance for you to shuffle your econ to the bottom of your deck.

4 Likes

This topic has been discussed over and over and over …
We all agree that the possibility of some cards being milled shouldn’t affect your deckbuilding and/or your play.

But you can’t deny that when you actually mill your cards (with maxx / inject / peddler), it WILL affect all your future decisions because the card basically can’t be found anymore in your deck. If for instance the singleton event you really need is one of the 3 cards your peddler hit, well, sucks to be you because there’s no chance anymore for you to draw it naturally. You can argue all you want about a card being milled is exactly the same as being in the bottom of the deck (and it is actually the case when it come to the decision making of playing a potential self-milling card like peddler), when it got milled, you know where the card is : the probability to draw and use that exact card drop down to 0 until you could play Levy or play some recursions.

6 Likes

Peddler, inject, etc actually do make finding particular types of cards worse.

If you’re going to draw 37 cards of a 40 card deck, then milling the top 3 of your deck is like just not drawing those bottom 3; but, when you play the second one you now are reducing the number of options you have, and again when you play the third; this does presuppose that you will draw your entire deck, but this isn’t unusual for anarch anymore, just like its not unusual for shaper, and even if you don’t know if you are drawing your whole deck you do increase the number of “dead” slots in your deck and the number of cards you won’t/can’t see. Its also true that the longer you go without seeing the card you want (be it an event) the worse peddler gets as probabilistically its going to be more likely to hit your event the longer that scenario goes on than it would be at, say, the beginning of the game.

Saying that milling is exactly like having cards on the bottom of your deck is a simplification of the scenario, but its accurate enough and pervasive enough that I don’t care to argue further. Just Give The Fuck Up. QED

5 Likes

So now every time I play a lamprey it gets purged immediately, might be time to start running accompanying viruses. What should we cut for datasucker?

Why would Lamprey always getting purged make you want to run more viruses?

because if I know it’s just going to be trashed as soon as it’s installed, I might as well have datasuckers for turns when I don’t have it installed.

Run fester, make it lose lose, and it does damage even if you don’t have time to run now. I’m like…20% serious here.

I’m not sure if you’re liking the IHW, but I never liked it when I played the deck. I’d cut those, or 1 IHW and 1 with…lamprey? (since they’re already going ‘down’ in value?)

2 Likes