Revival of Silhouette?

Just curious what people think about Notoriety / Quest Completed Silhouette making a comeback if FA goes into decline. Seems like Silhouette is really weak against FA, but would do quite well against RP, PE, and Blue Sun. Obviously, competing with Andy is a tall order, but it feels like there’s an opportunity in the meta. It would be basically the same as the Chicago regionals deck, but maybe with trying to use Three Steps Ahead and some other econ cards instead of MO/Siphon.

Something like:

Silhouette: Stealth Operative (Honor and Profit)

Event (25)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
2x Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus)
2x Express Delivery (Honor and Profit)
2x Feint (Honor and Profit)
2x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
3x Notoriety (Trace Amount)[color=#32CD32] •••[/color]
2x Quest Completed (Fear and Loathing)[color=#FF4500] ••••[/color]
3x Special Order (Core Set)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)
3x Three Steps Ahead (The Spaces Between)

Hardware (7)
3x Doppelgänger (A Study in Static)
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)[color=#32CD32] ••••[/color]

Resource (5)
2x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Security Testing (Honor and Profit)

Icebreaker (6)
2x Alias (Honor and Profit)
2x Corroder (Core Set)[color=#FF4500] ••••[/color]
2x Passport (Honor and Profit)

15 influence spent (max 15)
43 cards (min 40)
Cards up to The Spaces Between

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

If anything, I feel like Glacier hurts her more. Quest Completed is nice, sure, but most Glacier decks these days stack up over their centrals as well as a scoring server, so it’s still very expensive and the Centrals-Only breakers aren’t actually strong enough to even come close to pulling things off. I dunno. I like the idea, but Centrals-Silhouette seems like it was a one-off thing more than a sustainable build.

Yeah in my experience she’s downright awful vs RP. You just put a Caprice on R&D and Quest is broken, then you win. However, she is probably the single best runner vs PE.

4 Likes

Hmm, I’ll have to think on the RP matchup…I’ve played silhouette some vs. RP and was finding that doppelganger was very useful, but I could have been facing a slightly weaker version of RP.

Vs. other kinds of glacier, I was thinking that the ability to focus on centrals reasonably efficiently (and pressure with feint / emergency shutdown / etc) would be effective, but I’ll have to see.

1 Like

Doppelganger is good against RP but Central Only Breakers + Quest Completed is really bad against Caprice. When you can use your Doppel for click power to run a central and immediately hit a remote you gain a huge benefit but in the QC/Notoriety deck you can’t use the bounce against a remote because your breakers are central only.

Sneakdoor Beta could be quite handy here. Get into HQ cheaper, and gets rid of Caprice of HQ.

Yeah, that’s why the Caprice has to go on R&D against the QC/Notoriety deck, even if HQ seems like the best play against Silhouette.

1 Like

Honestly, I think most, if not all, “bad” RP matchups are just great matchups that people don’t adjust their play correctly for.

2 Likes

35 minute rounds combined with intentional slow play is a bad matchup for RP

7 Likes

I guess it depends on whether you think Quest Complete/Notoriety (plus Doppelganger, presumably) is right for her. Running through 4-6 pieces of ice to play either card always felt very expensive to me, and the central breakers weren’t much help. The other idea going for her was Blackguard, but that’s notoriously slow, though probably a real danger once it gets going.

On the off chance you’re not interested in either, then the most natural question is probably how good her ability is compared to Gabe. I figure a lot of people will feel this is a no-brainer, but it probably depends on the match-up, and partly on whether you actually have a way of leveraging the information. There are tons of games (and grips) that I’ve faced where I would gladly give up more than 2 credits to expose a card but those are very particular situations.

Oh, and I suppose the 40-card thing is a possible advantage too, though I don’t think I’ve seen anything so dense and good packed into 40 cards that it’s worth it right now. I guess this is where she might be able to claw a little back from Andromeda.

1 Like

I don’t like the Notoriety/QC angle (in general, and there’s no particularly compelling reason to like it much better in Sil), but if you can get into HQ reasonably the exposes are really nice against Glacier, especially since there’s usually agendas you’d rather not steal (hello, NAPD) and ones you don’t want to let them score.

Of course, getting into HQ reasonably (and repeatedly) can definitely be a challenge, especially in those later phases when Glacier actually wants to score. Feint isn’t a real option (because then you could have been playing Infiltration in the slot and you’re not properly leveraging her ability) - in my search for a repeatable answer, the best I’ve come up so far are Pheromones (possibly paired with a Sneakdoor). Of course, that’s a ton of memory, so you’re stuck either playing BOX-E or Grimoire (no space for memchips, since you’re 40 cards).

In testing, this has so far been surprisingly un-horrible. Probably not Tier 1 for all matchups, but better than it sounds initially.

1 Like

Feint isn’t necessarily bad though, because it pairs with emergency shutdown, can cheaply get through a well-iced HQ for hitting all three centrals in a turn, etc.

I’m thinking maybe the key is figuring out a better breaker suite so its actually possible to hit a remote successfully every once in a while.

I think the caprice on R&D is the real problem, and unregistered S&W doesn’t seem to be the solution.