Runner Decks You Might Want to Try

Runner decks are difficult to make due to the ever-growing and varied list of threats they need to be able to handle, while still functioning as a deck. Deck slots feel very “tight” because including necessary power cards, specific answers required for a particular deck (plascretes), an efficient rig, and the economy required to play all of these cards tends to leave you fairly close to 45 cards. So, I figured I would share some of the runner decks I have been working on, as I have had success with them (variants of them have all won at least 1 tournament), and they are quite a bit different than standard builds.

Test Run Andy

Example List: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/3641/test-run-andy

Idea: Test run adds another powerful trick into the criminal arsenal. After playing it off and on for 2 months, test running femme and inside jobbing a two deep remote still feels degenerate, and it also gives you quick access to R&D and HQ attack in the form of keyhole and sneakdoor beta. Test Run gives you recursion, plays well with same old thing, and makes remote servers much more vulnerable (a 3 deep remote is required against a breakerless andromeda with money). The downside being you only have two copies of test run, although SOT helps, and making room for dysons to support keyhole + datasucker means you’re a little lower on economy than I’d like. If you want to try a new criminal list I would highly recommend it.

Big Vamp

Example lists: http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/3591/test (more recent, untested), Clockwork Gamer Tournament Runner Winner · NetrunnerDB (true colors)

Idea: Playing this is a lot different than playing other runner decks. You don’t pressure much, you don’t run R&D (unless you have parasite, and they can’t rez anything big), you just build for a timing window. As soon as they spend money to score, either by paying for some kind of fast advance, or rezzing enough ice to keep you out of a remote, you vamp them to nothing and spam keyhole on their unrezzed R&D until you win. Keyhole works very well with the source, allowing you to only remove the source when you’re ready to win, and fall guy keeps the source going should they manage to score. Identity choice varies depending on whether or not you expect asset economy. whizzard spreads their ice out, while reinas tax is very relevant after a vamp. going in blind I would definitely favor reina. This deck also has the upside of a free win against CI, as most versions can’t afford to score 7 through a perpetual source, and you have vamp.

Workshop Fast-rig

Example: Madness Games Store Championship Winner. Runner · NetrunnerDB

Idea: set up a super efficient rig extremely fast by turning stimhack into a “gain 9 whenever” card. This list chose atmans, as it is the easiest to assemble and one of the most cost efficient (beaten only by fixed breakers). Being able to put RDI and an atman onto a workshop and stimhack them both out leads to some very quick R&D locks (turn 4 was my fastest, though with a nutdraw you could probably set it up sooner). CT was chosen as I couldn’t afford the influnce for a full 3 desperados, and her bonus mem/lower deck size helps with that. Kate with more draw power might just be better, up to preference.

That’s all I have for now, try them out and tell me what you think

4 Likes

This is a really good thread. I think I will try some of these the next time I stream.

In particular I have not actually tried Test Run in Andy, and it seems like an avenue worth exploring.

Here’s my take on workshop fast rig, I’d love some feedback.

Stim Blitz

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core Set)

Event (12)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
2x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Stimhack (Core Set) •••
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (11)
2x Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core Set)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Grimoire (Core Set) ••••
2x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (9)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
1x Kati Jones (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus)
2x Public Sympathy (Cyber Exodus)

Icebreaker (6)
3x Atman (Creation and Control)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set) •
1x Inti (Creation and Control)

Program (7)
2x Datasucker (Core Set) ••
1x Nerve Agent (Cyber Exodus) ••
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
1x Sneakdoor Beta (Core Set) •••

15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Creation and Control

Decklist published on http://netrunnerdb.com.

One thing I love about Shaper is how flexible it can be so I’ve tried to bring a lot of tools, perhaps narrowing focus would be better. Deus X for Snare/Jinteki has done some work in this deck. In the few test games I’ve played with it, surprise Sneak Door + Nerve Agent is nasty, especially when you hammer R&D early.

I’m still trying to figure out the best way to spend influence. Parasites seem good in this deck but in practice I haven’t found them very helpful, I feel like Femme can fill a similar role, especially with Personal Workshop on the board. I’ve tried Doppleganger/HQ Interfaces instead of Nerve Agent/Grimoire, I’m not sure which is better. Perhaps I should remove the console altogether but +2 MU on Grimoire is nice in this deck.

Has anyone played with the Whizzard Source build.

I was thinking about something similar in Noise. Without the Vamps but with way more The Source and with Hemorrhage and Imp. Hemorrhage to get the agendas that might pile up in his hand. Imp to trash combo pieces or Sansans.

The Source might be really good depending on the meta. Here it is mostly Fast Advance and Tag and Bag. Obviously the Source is great against fast advance. But I think it might be really well positioned against Tag and Bag too. Sure it is worthless against the kill itself. But Tag and Bag usually tries to score something just to put pressure on the runner. They mostly play 5/3 agendas like the Cleaner and Government Contracts, those are terrible with the Source on the table.

I will try this soon, but I´m not sure if it will be good. Packing good cards against the meta is one thing having a good deck is something else :smile: .
Hopefully this will be both. Thoughts?