Same Old Thing: Dice vs. Tokens

yeah basically this. if i use dice, i use them up to 5 and keep them lined up nicely. and if i use tokens, i line them up in rows of 5s. basically just keep things neat and dont be an asshole

Iā€™m tempted to switch to an easy-to-read token system, but honestly, I much prefer using a spin-down d20.

[quote=ā€œIff, post:3, topic:1997ā€]
As an example, I played someone using a d10 for the single digits of his credit count and a d6 as the tens. He had explained this before the game, no problem. However, at one time during the game, I saw a single d6 showing 2 pips. I should have known better (since he had been rich all game) but for a moment I thought he was only on two credits. I made a run and was surprised when he could really Ice. It didnā€™t matter that game, but it did throw me off and wouldnā€™t have happened with ordinary tokens.
[/quote]He was either cheating or dense as all get out. If he was using a d10 for the ones place it should never have gone away, it should be left reading ā€œ0ā€. That system sounds almost designed to screw people up.

Iā€™m just going to make asking for credits and cards in hand at the beginning of each turn a habit. Then it wonā€™t matter how they keep track, as long as theyā€™re not cheating, which is hopefully a reasonable enough assumption.

you would run out of clicks by turn 5 if you use this method, do you have a restocking method for getting more jack daniels in between rounds?

Chillā€™s tokens are designed for playing rush decks obviously. Either you win by turn 5, or you pass out.

4 Likes

ā€¦and since the game is over within 10 minutes either way, that gives him plenty of time to sober up before the next round starts.

(who knows, maybe heā€™s using jars of pickled herring as bad pub counters)

2 Likes

So itā€™s: organized tokens >> dice >>>>>>> disorganized tokens. Dice I donā€™t mind as a marker for the umpteenth tag or virus token.

I couldnā€™t agree more.

I feel like the problem really is that the opponent is obscuring open information from me, which is against the spirit of the game. If the opponent uses a tiny d20 next to their ID so far away that I canā€™t see, it is the same problem.

It is quite disrespectful and I retaliate in the one or more of the following ways:

1. Asking them how many credits they have at the end of each of their turns. Eventually they will realize they can report to me easier if they organize them.
  2. Reaching over and oranizing my opponents credits if they canā€™t handle it themselves.
  3. tracking their credits along with them with a spindown d20 I bring.
1 Like

Ugh. This is why I put my tokens neatly towards the middle of the table (furthest part away from me of my playmat) and desperately hope that others do the same (they usually just pile a mountain of 1s onto their ID).

I recently played with dice instead of counters for the first (few) time(s), and found the experience reallyā€¦ refreshing :smile:
I mean, ok, for Brain Damage we had to figure out a creative way of tracking (all the dice were the same colour), but it was really clear, obvious, and honest (real players donā€™t cheat) to use dice.

So, while I still love my little cardboardy tokens of cuteness (looking at you, Brain Damageā€¦ YUM), Iā€™m all for dice.

I think in the long run Iā€™ll settle for something in between. Because, as you say, dice arenā€™t great for Brain Damage (other things, at times too, though colors can help). Tags, too, if you have brain damage. Iā€™ve started leaning towards getting some of those penny-gem tokens. They meet my qualifications, are of a higher quaility, easy to pick up, have weight; but I think Iā€™ll stick to dice for the credits and often changing things where tokens would just get in the way or cause clutter.

Things dice are really good for:

1. Power
  2. Creds
  3. Viruses
  4. Advancements
  5. Tags > 5

Things dice are sometimes/always bad for:

1. Recurring credits
  2. Tags < 5
  3. Brain Damage
  4. Click Tracking
  5. Bad Pub
1 Like

I find Fudge Dice (with blank, - and + sides) to be very useful for some recurring credits/as click trackers, actually. I tend to use 4, 3 set to - and the last to +, as runner. Then I take one away and use it to track MN credits, using the lines to represent each credit (so + is 2, - is 1, blank is 0). Seems to work well, both for myself and others, but is limited to MN, Sahasrara, Cyberfeeders, and the like, since canā€™t hit the 3 for Whizzard without two dice. Still, I like 'em.

For players that end up playing on camera a lot, I am sure viewers prefer dice. Easier to read than a pile of tokens.

I think what a lot of people miss with ā€œdice cheatingā€ is that itā€™s sloppy play, and the same can be mimicā€™d with tokens. If a guy plays hedge fund and throws some number of tokens into his pile of tokens, can you be sure it was 4 and not 5? same goes for paying for large ice. The one time we had issues with a cheater out here he could do it with both dice and tokens, hell, most of his cheating was announced (desperado credit, access jackson, pause for a moment, trash jackson ā€œoh, forgot my desperado creditā€. ā€œkati for 9ā€ with kati on 6, etc).

2 Likes

Itā€™s funny. I originally made the switch to dice because I didnā€™t want to carry around a ton of tokens with me while playing. Dice were a more elegant, compact solution. I had myself convinced that dice worked better, too: they were faster and I could see my credit total at a glance.

One day I forgot my dice, but my opponent that day had enough tokens for the both of us. And, oh, MAN, was it ever a revelation. Everything moved faster. Everything felt better. For some reason, handling tokens made everything smoother, instead of the fiddly rotate-the-die-to-find-what-you-need.

Then I ordered Team Covenant tokens, and I never looked back. My setup takes more room than ever, and Iā€™ll have to figure out a way to make it better at some point, but my games are so much more enjoyable.

8 Likes