Slowing Down Fast Advance

Originally published at: Slowing Down Fast Advance - StimHack

Discuss the latest StimHack article here by our newest author @mediohxcore.

3 Likes

Nice article. I at first thought it was going to address how runners can slow down fast advance (not that there are a ton of methods of doing so).

Anyways I think ultimately it boils down to whether you want your deck to focus on one objective or diversify. I personally have found HB and NBN:MN decks are better when slowed down, as the author states. The only faction I’ve had any success with in eliminating any form of late game is TWIY .

1 Like

Interesting. I’m kind of curious to try out that CI deck, it’s a style I haven’t played and I think it could be fun.

Awesome article, especially on the CI deck which I am also currently testing out my own build (which did pretty well) but will definitely give your build later tonight at octgn.

1 Like

Been running your Taxman deck for awhile! Love it. I like how the deck has more opportunities for bluff and crazy play as compared to the HB versions.

To everyone else, I strongly recommend mediohxcore’s youtube channel too. His playthrough commentary and worst case scenario pessimism are always good to draw lessons from.

2 Likes

CI certainly is different. Generally you are drawing a ton of cards and just playing a very methodical game that grinds it’s way to victory. Surprisingly I have found them pretty enjoyable to play.

1 Like

Agreed. My personal CI utilizes SanSan Grids as well. Encryption Protocols make Jackson Howard, Eve Campaign, and SanSans back-breaking to trash, and comboing SanSan and Biotic to score an Efficiency Committee OOH enables yet another fast advance option via SfSS.

Here is my list. It runs the full set of Efficiency Committees to enable fast advance with Shipment from SanSan.

Identity: Haas-Bioroid: Cerebral Imaging

Cards: 49 / 45
Agenda points: 20 / 20
Influence: 15 / 15

Agenda (11)
3x Accelerated Beta Test
3x Efficiency Committee
2x Gila Hands Arcology
3x Project Vitruvius

Asset (3)
3x Jackson Howard ●●●

Ice (11)
3x Eli 1.0
3x Heimdall 1.0
2x Ichi 1.0
3x Viktor 2.0

Operation (24)
3x Archived Memories
3x Biotic Labor
3x Blue Level Clearance
3x Celebrity Gift ●●●●●●●●●
3x Green Level Clearance
3x Hedge Fund
3x Restructure
3x Shipment from SanSan ●●●

Money has not been a problem, nor has scoring EC with double Biotic.

Lower ice count definitely makes it weaker against early Indexing/Keyhole as well as no ice agenda heavy draws.

Has been performing very well, and if the low ice count becomes a big problem (so far it hasn’t been) then I can just cut the Green Levels for more ice.

I have no idea how people get away with such low ICE counts in CI. I mean, you don’t actually need all of the ice to win, but don’t people suffer from major consistency issues in the early game when they play 11-13 or whatever?

The cards that really punish low ice counts are Siphon and Keyhole/Medium/Indexing. This deck does not care about Siphon so that just leaves Keyhole/Medium/Indexing. Indexing will probably get them 2 points, but you definitely can expect to have a single ice on RnD. One bioroid is enough to slow Keyhole/Medium to a crawl until you draw into your second piece.

Green/Blue Level also draw you cards while getting you money. This means even though the ICE count is lower, you also draw more cards than most decks.

So yes, you are weaker against certain specific cards. However you can easily play around this by just using your first ice on RnD against Shaper/Anarch and letting them Siphon you.

Sure, they get a couple of extra single accesses too, but I don’t think it’s the massive problem that people are making it out to be.

1 Like

Isn’t all this deck cares about minimizing your opponent’s accesses?

Not from my experience. As long as you aren’t trying to score all 7 AP at once, my HQ is typically 3/15ish agendas, so I don’t really mind fishing; I’ll just put up a lone Heimdall or something. R&D is pretty much all I care about defending. I may put a semi-taxing ice in front of my 7-trash SanSan.

Correct, and it does so in the mid-late game as opposed to most Corp decks that strive to limit early game accesses.

So you give a couple of extra accesses early on but later on, once you double ICE HQ and RnD, they’re effectively only running once a turn at most or paying absurd amounts of credits.

It may be easier to think of this as closer in breed to a glacier deck than the standard FA decks. Your first priority is setting up meaty centrals before you even think about trying to score EC. The reason you can do this is because you aren’t forced to discard down to 5 and can actually store those agendas in HQ for when you’re ready.

In fact, HQ usually is around a 1 in 3 chance to hit an agenda while RnD is significantly worse, and most runners aren’t built to pound HQ with Nerve Agent. They’ll just continue to run RnD with their Interfaces or Indexing .

This may change if HQ Interface becomes more popular or if there are more cards like Legwork coming out.

I can understand Lysander’s version plays differently because he has SanSan Grid and can therefore score more aggressively.

I ran the CI Deck (as is, no mods) at a mini-tournament at my house last night. It worked very well and just running it taught me alot about how to properly play fast advance and this style of play. It went 1 and 1 but, as I am very new to the deck idea, it was difficult for me to determine how much of the loss was luck (pulling the 1 3/2 agenda out of my 9 card hand) and how much was misplaying…just wish I could run it more. Thanks for Teaching me something!

1 Like