Smoke and Mirrors -- A Scovak Thread

Local guys here have been doing ppvp econ and it’s quite potent. Think it was 3x deuces, 3x lucky, 2 gauntlet, 1 estrike, 3 ppvp…

5 Likes

Yeah. The thing with PPVP econ is that it’s very hard to disrupt as a corp. Keeping you out of Temujin money is a lot easier than keeping you out of Lucky Find money.

[quote=“Myriad, post:141, topic:7926”]Kate gets the install discount, Smoke gets a run discount when stuff is installed.[/quote]This is true. I do like my PPVP Smoke though. :slight_smile: I think PPVP Stealth Smoke > PPVP Stealth Kate. The recurring ID credit does help a ton setting up the breaker combo pieces faster.

the influence hit of 3x Lucky Find, 3x Deuces, and 3x PPVP is pretty wild even if it gets you more flexibility than Temujinz. Maybe you’re not running all 3 of everything?

Personally i think 3x Career Fair is a good use of 3 pips in Smoke with Temujin, Casts, and Net Mercur as targets.

1 Like

Great ideas on splashes and I love that it is a radically different approach then I am trying right now.

I am trying parasucker spam/top hat/shaper stealth w/mirror and temujin. It suffers from a weaker early game though as the burst economy simply isn’t there unless I get a god draw off of temujin.

1 Like

You are correct. Only two LF.

Behold a jank list in Smoke! I took this to a store champ on Sunday and had a pretty good time keeping CTM busy with my threats except for my one game where I couldn’t find my Net Mercur. I recently made a few changes to the list as it appears here going -1 Escher, -1 Houdini, -1 Clone Chip -1 Artist Colony, -1 Same Old Thing, +3 Diesel, +1 Levy, +1 Turning Wheel.

Now You See Me

Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net (Intervention)

Event (9)
1x Demolition Run (Core Set) ●●
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Escher (Creation and Control)
1x Networking (Humanity’s Shadow)
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (5)
1x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
1x Feedback Filter (Creation and Control)
1x Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead)
2x The Gauntlet i[/i] ●●

Resource (16)
1x Artist Colony (Kala Ghoda)
2x Beth Kilrain-Chang (Blood Money)
1x Film Critic (Old Hollywood)
3x Net Mercur i[/i]
1x New Angeles City Hall (Future Proof)
2x Patron (Salsette Island)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)
3x Temüjin Contract (Blood Money) ●●●●● ●
1x The Turning Wheel (The Liberated Mind)

Icebreaker (4)
1x Corroder (Core Set) ●●
1x Dagger (Creation and Control)
1x Houdini i[/i]
1x Refractor (First Contact)

Program (6)
3x Cloak (Creation and Control)
3x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
14 influence spent (max 15-1★=14, available 0)
40 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention

Decklist published on NetrunnerDB.

1 Like

Why the Levy? You don’t have very many cards you need to recycle. It’ll often just be a dead card.

PPVP needs it because their entire package is temporary. Anarch wants it because they’re burning cards constantly. Here you have a permanent setup - Gauntlet, Turning Wheel, Cloaks, Breakers, Net Mercur, Beth, etc. Redrawing all those pieces you threw away will just slow you down.

If you’re afraid of losing breakers, either add duplicates or trade for a Clone Chip or two. If you want more econ, throw in a Kati Jones or Lockpick or Daily Casts. Once Levy’s gone, I don’t see much reason to keep any Same Old Thing’s around. Consider adding a couple R&D pressure cards. Turning Wheel isn’t enough for Shaper. R&D Interface or Maker’s Eye both work.

I just swapped a Clone Chip for Levy because I needed the influence for the second TTW. I’m trying to make sure that I can get the basics of my rig up as quickly as possible and I wait for TTW too often.

R&D pressure is definitely the next thing I need to try and fix. Turning Wheel is actually best for making sure I can clear a hand with Demo Run so slotting an R&D again may help turn up the heat mid-game so I’m not just looking at the top card.

1 Like

If you need the influence, and need to replace Clone Chip, and can’t afford the deck space for multiple copies of breakers, I would suggest Test Run. It’s usually worse than the other options, but many times better than Levy for that purpose.

3 Likes

Martial Law comes out next week, so Equivocation will be out. That seems like your best option as it kicks cards to HQ to immediately Demolition Run into Archives.

1 Like

Dat Equivocation/Top Hat combo.

Hoping to see a few other great unknowns too. I can’t help but feel like between what is left of this cycle and Terminal Directive that Shapers will be in a very good place going into regionals. Kate or Smoke should be a good choice.

Anyone done Top Hat + Mirror yet? Maybe throw in a Medium too?

1 Like

I don’t have the influence for Medium in my build, but I have been trying Top Hat in a deck with Datasucker/Parasite and Indexing. You index to get big swings, which works great with Mirror and you use Top Hat when you can only get in once or twice and it basically becomes a glorified HQ run.

Top Hat is probably better once equivocation is legal. It is also cheaper and easier to install than multiple R&D Interfaces.

Finally, it feels pretty great to drop a temujin on R&D with Indexing/Top Hat because those extra runs back are paid for and they serve to forward your game plan, unlike decks that pack R&D interface which typically only want to make one run a turn on R&D.

Needs more testing, but I like it.

It’s actually just decks with Top Hat that want to run R&D multiple times… Think about it. If you have an RDI, you can run, see top two, then run again to see the third card with Top Hat.

I was thinking that Parasite or other ICE destruction would be nigh-required in order to keep the R&D lock on.

(As an aside: I also think Top Hat is good in general as long as you can run R&D twice a turn, just because it lets you not feel like you have to trash assets out of R&D.)

I’d like some advice, specifically about what to cut to get down to 40 cards.

My meta has lots of boom and some sync, but not much CTM, especially not at the GNK level.

Cut all ghost runners, found I never ever needed them with 3 net mercure making sure I see it early.

Smoke

Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net

Event (11)
3x Diesel
3x Dirty Laundry
2x Employee Strike ●●
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (6)
2x Astrolabe
2x Clone Chip ★★
2x R&D Interface

Resource (16)
1x Beth Kilrain-Chang
2x Daily Casts
2x Film Critic
3x Net Mercur
2x New Angeles City Hall
2x Patron
3x Temüjin Contract ●●●●● ●
1x The Turning Wheel ●

Icebreaker (3)
1x Corroder ●●
1x Dagger
1x Refractor

Program (5)
2x Cloak
1x Clot ●●
2x Self-modifying Code

13 influence spent (max 15-2★=13, available 0)
41 cards (min 40)
Cards up to Intervention

Deck built on https://netrunnerdb.com.

Short Answer: Probably drop Beth or an R&D Interface. I would lean towards R&D interface since you have turning wheel in the deck.

Meta suggestions: If boom and Sync are your problem, you could always try the demo run/gauntlet build that is making the rounds. Blowing up x1 to x2 cards from HQ is pretty choice. It even stacks with Turning Wheel.

I kind of wonder if Smoke really has the deck spaces for the NACH and FC combo. Four card slots is a lot for something that can be solved by Networking.

Also, misdirection would probably solve the problem when it does finally drop.

2 Likes

Thanks! I did consider the demo run-gauntlet thing, but wasn’t entirely convinced. Time will tell I guess.

And networking was in the deck, but it doesn’t help against breaking news kills or sea source kills or of weyland. I think of it more as anti hard-hitting new tech than anti-kill tech. Same goes for misdirection.

But I agree, I’m not liking 4 deckslots taken up with that

1 Like

Patron. Unless your meta is heavy with asset spam, in which case I would consider dropping Daily Casts, or as earlier mentioned, RDI. (I’ve personally never been happy with Patron.)

Don’t forget you can get card draw from Net Mercur.

NACH+Film Critic is the only way I’ve found to avoid kill recently. And, it just so happens that each half of that combo is useful in other matchups. NACH works against HHN and tags in general (Data Raven, for instance. Or SYNC.) without Corp needing to be specifically running a kill package. Film Critic works against a lot of Jinteki agendas, and a couple of ones that NBN runs, too. (NAPD Contract, Exploda) As an added bonus, both of them can’t be hit by a Best Defense on 0 tags.

4 Likes

This is excellent, thanks! And I think knowing when to use mercur for draw vs credits is key. But with no ghost runners I think I’ll almost always be using it for credits

I ran a janky Find the Truth/Top Hat thing last week without RDIs. I just waited until an agenda came up on R&D and ran it.