State of the meta - October 2017 - No more fair Netrunner?

Information Sifting and CBI Raid are two unrestricted cards worth considering.

1 Like

Indeed, but their problem is that they are useless outside of this matchup and belong to a faction which is likely the weakest at the moment, so unless really big part of the meta is CI they will not be popular. Siphon, Vamp and Strike were useful in multiple matchups.

1 Like

In a vacuum, yes, CI is more fair than it used to be; however, in a card pool without Vamp, Siphon, Medium, Yog, and Parasite, I think CI is as lopsidedly strong as ever, and possibly more so than pre-roatation and bans.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think information sifting is useless outside CI, itā€™s basically like a cheaper legwork with different pros/cons. Good points from everyone though. I think the current strength of CI is mostly due to ETF rotating out and CI becoming the default.

Worlds is going to surprise you. The meta is not what you think it is. All the good decks are being kept secret (hence why everyone was so mad about the NRDB scandal). I think the best corp decks in the game right now are extremely unfair and everyone is going to hate them.

5 Likes

Are you saying Chrisā€™s article was a ruse? :smile:

I have been wondering, as Iā€™m not going to worlds and have yet to come accross anyone else playing what feels like a very strong corp deck (although I doubt itā€™s secret worlds tech good).

Edit: I guess the article (on FFG if you havenā€™t seen it) did only discuss the runner side of things.

1 Like

Iā€™m excited to see that. I donā€™t think the meta is healthy at all and Iā€™ve posted already about my suspicions that the decks that will come out of Worlds will demonstrate this. Iā€™m impatiently awaiting the Elitesā„¢ to roll out the new oppression.

The decks I chose were only common decks on JNET, nothing more, btw.

The ā€œJoppression,ā€ if you willā€¦

Judging from the past, itā€™s more likely to be Jonasā€™s fault XD

1 Like

Iā€™m fairly new to netrunner but coming from competitive mtg I find the whole ā€œsecret worlds decksā€ idea kind of strange. Is it an in-joke or should I legit be grabbing my popcorn?

For example, my marginally educated guess at the best corp decks would be Gagarin asset spam, CI combo, and NBN asset spam of some kind (e.g. the NEH deck with Whampoa + Shannon Claire and HHN + Zealous Judge). Is the big reveal just the best versions of those strategies or do people show up with totally bonkers technology like scoring remotes or something?

3 Likes

I think this would be the first worlds where the Known Good Decks werenā€™t generally available or being talked about / refined in public ahead of time! Previously, public speculation consisted of what the ratios would be, and who would be making which bets, not what the decks generally were :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s mostly cause the landscape changed drastically between rotation, core 2.0, and banlist. Additionally, there wasnā€™t a tournament season to incentivize people bringing their experiments to light.

Overall, though, many players and cliques of players in this game pride themselves on cracking the meta in private and using those efforts to win tournaments.

Confirmed. Jonas is an evil genius.

Youā€™re way off. None of those decks are good lol.

So the glasshouse ā€œleakedā€ decks were a ruse then? Thatā€™s next level.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure Abramā€™s comment is partially disingenuous hyperbole and partially because better decks have likely been settled upon and honed in the time since then. The decks you listed are all reasonably strong decks; but Abram is suggesting much better decks exist, which is understandable. Iā€™ll be flabbergasted if a deck comes about at Worlds that relegates CI to tier 2.

3 Likes

Pretty sure Gag and CI combo kill will be well represented, Iā€™d be excited to see what else is about though.

What Iā€™d really be interested in however are any secret runner decks that can reliably beat these, as it seems that corps are definitely on top at a high level.

2 Likes

An essentially Core 2.0 + Rotation legal Skorp Corp took second at the pre-rotation UK Nationals this year. Unless you are expecting runners to be better situated to handle rush in the new meta, this should count as a presumptive tier 1 deck.

Just adding this so Abram can confirm/deny. :wink:

1 Like

Scorp is something people will play, and is worth being prepared for, but I think itā€™s far from tier 1.

@moistloaf ā€œdisingenuous hyperboleā€ OK BRUH.

I am far from a tier one player, but I have enjoyed playing rush decks. I think they are too draw dependent to be tier 1.

All three main runner factions have cards to stuff an early single-ice rush and access to good AI.

Rush can win games and is fun to play. Skorpios is an interesting deck that uses rush and rig-shooter in a way that can be strong if the runner has no answers. I suppose that might make it a good meta-call deck, but Iā€™d be stunned if rush was a significant archetype at Top 16 Worlds.

That opinion and a nickel will buy you a gum ball.

2 Likes