Stimhack Store Champions Invitational APPRECIATION THREAD

Is there a way to implement a “whisper list” on OCTGN? Basically have one whisper conversation window open that everyone on the tournament is in. Then you could call TIME for everyone (and START) in real time at the same time.

1 Like

Trouble is that if you don’t have OCTGN sounds enabled, (and why would you), the whisper generally goes unnoticed if you’re in a game.

You could find a website that lets you create alarms and then provide a link to it?

edit: something like this. ideally would make a noise when the alarm expired

1 Like

I’m envious of your cakewalk!
At our London Store Champs we had:
@StarkAndTully
@vinegarymink
and myself (from T16), in amongst 59 other players.

I’d also (on a more general note) like to reiterate the props everyone is giving to the team running this. A really great job. And thanks to the players as well - very reasonable and good players all round.

Gerd Jerb Stam Herk

But seriously, this was a great idea. Still wish I got in, but swiss results arent enough!

1 Like

Have you tried using google forms before. I like to use it to collect data. I’ve created a mockup form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/160qhb7r4iUftEaedqTAfnXT6pZ_LGetrDUM39nubLQI/viewform?usp=send_form
You would just need somebody who knows how to use either google sheets or microsoft excel to help you sort the data. You could also add a spot in the form so they can let you know if they are dropping. I’d be happy to assist you with this in the future. Let me know if you have any questions about this suggestion at all.

4 Likes

Have to say this was an amazing experience to participate in a tournament with such high level play and such magnitude with people all over the world. Never even played at a regionals or anything larger than 25 players but really looking forward to getting involved in more highly competitive tournaments in the future.

Blows my mind how smoothly everything went between communicating with 100+ participants, streaming/casting high quality games, getting substantial prize support and dealing with OCTGN/internet problems. Can’t imagine all the preparation and hard work that went into it but you all certainly pulled it off.

Hi! I was one of the players that was hit with 3 game losses due to octgn connection issues. It was so heartbreaking to have a great game interrupted by a sudden disconnection message, with no way to get back in the game. Getting the losses was sad for me, but in such a big tournament, it has to happen to someone or two. I had lag issues all day and I’m sorry for all my opponents for it.

To the organizers: thanks so much for this event. It was huge, in a scale never seen before. I was playing and I was thinking of you guys in the behind the scenes and all the work involved. The programming, the quality of the visuals and sounds of the stream, the stream commentary analysis, the registration process, communication and so on. You deserve massive props for bringing the worldwide competitive Netrunner community together.

Everybody deserves some well deserved sleep now, see you in a year, you have no choice now to repeat the experience!

2 Likes

Yes, a great job. It garnered lots of positive attention.

FWIW, @Paranoid, who finished third, played in three SCs with @aandries, and Aaron knocked him out of all three.

Aaron and I weren’t in the field yesterday, so, consider it slightly watered down. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13 Likes

Thank you for organizing this!
I was never part of something this huge (closest event to Worlds I’ll ever be) and I have to say I’m very proud of taking 18th place and having the best Gabe (am I the only one who have read that article about him on Stimhack? :smiley: ).
Very solid players and great games.
I think every player who made it to the end deserves a badge. :wink:
Also, the first bracket should be final at least an hour before the first games. There was much chaos during the first round.

Same here, it’s going to get bloody with Matuszczak, Selverin and other great players.

This would be such an easy request to fulfill if people didn’t drop a half an hour before the tournament started. Sorry about the confusion, though. If I had the foresight to tell people to leave spectators ON rather than OFF, it would have been trivially easy to go into people’s games and tell them they jumped the gun on pairings and to get in the correct game.

1 Like

No, I beat him in Madison.

4 Likes

I’m getting old. Forgive my memory lapses.

4 Likes

Isn’t it time for your metamucil?

4 Likes

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who are contributing here. I was so terrified of my internet dropping at any point or the computer not being able to handle the delay, but looks like everything worked out. I’m terribly sorry there was barely any camera work on the last two games, I passed out from exhaustion in front of my rig and woke up at 5AM to all the lights on and three monitors radiating in my face.

It’s little things like this that make organizing this event worthwhile. Thank you to all those who contributed, all those who played, all those who shared feedback, and most of all, thank you the viewers!

21 Likes

You missed a couple of first bloods here and there but except that, the camera play was really on point.
Congrats for all the works you’ve done !

1 Like

Excellent event considering everything that could go wrong, and the few hiccups on individual levels throughout, TOs around the world could learn from you guys. So many players from around the world, and such high caliber players, the SSCI was something special, and will hopefully be even more popular next time (assuming there is a next time).

I do feel that a lot of the players deserve a pat on the back for trying to be on top of things, and it’s amazing to see what can be achieved with the help of humble OCTGN when it doesn’t have a meltdown despite a solid 9-15 hours of continuous competitive netrunner.

I definitely did not feel like I made a mistake playing from 11.30pm until 9 am (although missing the cut by what I believe to be a single game after losing both against starkandtully last round to some…questionable luck had me pretty salty all day), and would do it again.

Have yet to watch any of the stream, think I’ll try to squeeze in some of the finals today.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for organizing this amazing tournament. Though having players of differing time zones play together must have been an immense task to undertake, it let the players of different meta connect.

I had stayed in Poland until last October, and it was such a pleasant surprise to meet Matuszczak on my last round, as the last time I saw him was during the Polish Nationals and maybe a game night tourney after. If anyone ever meets him in person, you would know that he’s a delightfully cheery person, even when playing netrunner at 2am after 10 hours of Swiss :smile:

Props to everyone, and shoutout to the great polish players I have ever played against or met! Selverin, Wosho, Matuszczak, iloveMRT, Hobb (and kids), Poznan crew and such :smiley:

6 Likes

I just wanted to echo the thoughts previously mentioned. It was an absolute pleasure to have the opportunity to play against such strong competition. More than once a game came down to a single turn. Really looking forward to any future events.

Thank you for all the hard work and dedication to make this happen…

1 Like

I told my girlfriend that the “Super Bowl of Netrunner” was on and I couldn’t be bothered all day. And I was glued to the streams and dancing to d1en’s dub step in my chair pretty much from noon to 3am. What a great event.

I live in Cleveland, and had my netrunner cards stolen out of my car months ago (why hoodlums, why). I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to get involved with the local scene and reinvest in physical cards. Now, after the SSCI, I think I will, and start getting to Critical Hit games on Saturdays.

Also kicking myself for not paying attention and signing up for the LCQ. Coulda got in I think.

6 Likes