The Blue Sun Supermodernism Deck Thread

Why is no one taking about Snare! in Super Modernism? Would happily cut the some influence and for Snare! here:

• HQ protection
  • Bluff as Atlas at 5pts and can always boune back
  • Turns on SS 1x scorch if hit 2nd or 3rd click
  • Can EBC or Atlas for it when legwork comes knocking
1 Like

Influence, mostly. I would love to have a Snare! or two, but Blue Sun needs to score agendas reliably, which means at least 1 Ash. 1-2 Tollbooths are nearly mandatory as well. And then if you are going for kills, Midseasons is the best way to go, with a backup Sea Source. So it does become difficult to fit.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, yes, insert Manchester City/United joke here (delete as appropriate).

1 Like

Posted Bounty is a good card, and I ran it in my previous supermodernism style builds in BABW, but right now, I’d much rather have the hostiles because they’re just so much easier to score. Being able to win off 2 atlases (Chained of course), and 3 hostiles is incredible!

Lizzy is great. Don’t doubt the lizzy. She’s about on par with PPVP levels of efficiency with Fracking, and actually makes hostile scorable - at all. I would not even think of scoring hostiles if I didn’t have bad pub removal in the deck; it just hurts you so much in the long game, and the big strength of my Manchester variant is the ability to turtle up and become a proto=-glacier deck.

2 Likes

I think murder/rush Weyland should have influence that starts biotic/midseasons/Jackson + 4 (probably booth and 2 lotus fields). I think getting to 5 is easy. Not everyone is playing clot. Biotic labour is really good.

New ideas that are probably good section: If you have Liz geothermal might, might still be ok. But in reality we should all be renovating oaktown. I agree hostile takeover is really good. So is HRI.

New ideas that are probably bad section: Is corporate town worth a look? You get 10 bonus points every time you use it to kill muertos gang members to Rez a curtain wall.

New ideas that are probably bad II: Spiderweb is too vulnerable to parasite? Probably. But 2 lady tokens is really appealing.

Ideas pinched from Don. Fast Track. Has anyone tried it and found it somehow incorrect?

2 Likes

I like Spiderweb, it’s taxing and a nice early gear check. Doesn’t instantly die to Parasite at least. I’m trying 3 Curtain 2 Hive 2 Spiderweb.

Favorite new cards are Contract Killer and Oaktown Renovation for this deck. The former because you can install it without advancing, then next turn double advance to kill the Kati the runner has been turtling with. I just did that tonight to a Kati with 15 on it.

Oaktown is just perfect for taunting the runner when you have the kill in hand, as well as for not losing tempo when you know they can’t get through your Curtain Wall/Tollbooth. Just a lovely agenda.

Is a rush/grail/destroyer deck appropriate for this thread, or is murder required? @Vapo and me discussed this a bit in the untested decks thread. Supermodernism is rush/kill/destroy(ers), so a Blue Sun rush/destroyer deck is just as much Supermodernism as a rush/kill BS deck! (As in, 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.)

If so I propose that we rename this deck to Postmodernism: Weyland rush in an Oaktown World. (Oaktown is just that good.)

[quote=“MasterAir, post:26, topic:4410, full:true”]Ideas pinched from Don. Fast Track. Has anyone tried it and found it somehow incorrect?
[/quote]

It’s excellent for rushing Oaktown, Atlas or Geothermal, at least, since you can Fast Track and score them in two turns. Bonus for being much safer to hold in HQ until you see a scoring window

Also, if you’re running traps… Search for the Atlas, install advance a Shattered remains.

Heh. Predictive Algorhythm Gagarin. You heard it here first.

(This comment is not meant to be taken seriously, yet)

I think Supermodernism has a horrific match-up against Valencia at the moment. Blackmails everywhere, dirt cheap runs. I’m pretty much convinced while she’s so prominent in my meta that Boot Camp’s are essential, and Boot Camp’s seem to suit Glacier better.

1 Like

#SlottheLizzyMils.

5 Likes

lol. It may very well be time to do just that.

In my blue sun , Lizzy is just great.

Remove the Valencia bad pub and watch them look in desperation for answers. Remove the BP for Hostile Takeover. Remove BP for rezzing grim.
And when you are out of bad pub , you fake her out in remotes as agenda’s. You can even rez her and bounce her at the start of your turn if they don’t run it.
And i guess you can blow up a location with it should it be needed. I honestly haven’t used her that way , yet.

Okay, so here’s where I think it breaks down.

It’s rare the corp will have the combo in the first few turns, and the money lead. Early on many runners will take sensible risks, because Supermodernism style will just win if you don’t. That means running maybe a little dangerously, but those odds are still fine. Anarchs will get Imp down and snipe what you do have in hand, Crims will get early agendas and scope out Siphon potential, and Shapers will money up while getting ready to remote/R&D lock.

I think sometimes the kill will happen early, and it’s grand. But it’s very rare I’ve assembled that combo without an Atlas token early on, and that’s not easy against anyone except Anarch - who run IHW and Imp. Scorch is a mid game threat, not an early one. I think against players who are overly timid, you can leverage this bluff into a strong start and a good board position. But I don’t think it translates into a good game against players who are willing to play the odds.

7 Likes

I think I played against this exact list last night.

Oaktown as to go in, but TBH I think there’s wider problems anyway. He really struggled to present the kill threat using just SEA/Midseasons to tag. The original Supermodernism had a more complex kill threat including Snare! and False Lead which created much bigger problems for the runner and I think the kill side is badly devalued in this limited form.

I beat him 3-0 with my Maxx deck and at no time was I in real danger of being Scorched out, I think, it was way too easy to play around.

But yeah, Oaktown.

4 Likes

I think MaxX might be a bad matchup for the deck. She gets the free draw, removing many clicks of compression you’d want to have. Additionally, she gets all the tools she needs to threaten all your servers faster, and can get the clone chip/sucker/parasite combo up most easily. She can David and Stimhack you all day… so probably not favorable.

I can see that. I think the first thing this deck really needs to do is to score an Atlas with a counter on it, and start threatening to Midseasons the runner if he/she starts running when money is about even. I find Anarchs a relatively good matchup because they have trouble bringing their breakers out on time to stop me from scoring (and I’m generally very aggressive with my scores). MaxX is less good, but the inevitable mill/Levy does open up a lovely scoring/scorching window. Crim/Siphon/Shutdown could be a problem, and as for Shaper, you have to rely on taxing their recursion and Lady counters. If you can get an oversight off, you definitely stack two Curtains on your scoring remote. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, this deck can fell behind if you’re ever below on money early game (Case in point: My Semi-Final against Alex White in Manchester), which does happen, but I still think it has a decent shot against most decks.Put it this way, I don’t think mine and Seamus’s performances with similar Blue Sun decks at Nats were an accident.

I agree. But I’m fairly sure you’re not doing that before the fourth corp turn without the best of starts (OAI/Curtain Wall and some strong etr ice). Whereas BABW or GRNDL certainly would be (I’m not saying that’s better, just different).

Runners probably don’t apply a load of pressure to this deck early - not compared to the other two identities, anyway. But I am fairly certain you’re misappropriating this to the kill threat. I think it’s actually Blue Sun’s ability to pull back its spiky ice that makes early pressure much less productive.

2 Likes