The Two Year Turn: How I Learned Netrunner by Noah McKee

Great article! Would love a game sometime. I find myself going through a similar thing that you describe - looking for ways to refine my game. I have a lot of respect for your dedication, and would love to get in some rounds with you!

Great article @Nobo715.

My 13-year old son barely missed the Top 8 cut at the 2015 Berkeley Store Championship. Thanks to the playmats that Noah donated for the tournament he still came home with a Freelancer Playmat. I always thought that was a class move and my son still brings the playmat to every tournament he enters (and now he even plays the card!).

12 Likes

They called him ā€˜The Taxmanā€™.

No Dan?

Great read, great job. What a strong player. Like Timmy, they seemed to be ā€˜holding backā€™ at KOS to dominate the next day.

2 Likes

He said people, not cheese potatoes

6 Likes

I must also note that I love that Noah has a mantra, akin to Arya Starkā€™s list, of his goals that he recites to himself.

Finally, itā€™s fitting that someone that carries around a notebook also added Technical Writer to his already strong deck. Well played.

10 Likes

I think your son also swept me in the first round of that tournament. Tell him to keep it up!

12 Likes

[quote=ā€œspags, post:24, topic:5837ā€]
No Dan?
[/quote]doesnā€™t dan play normal stuff like the rest of us

1 Like

@tmoiynmwg. Yes, that was him, but I think it was a different tournament. Playing against you at regionals was one of his all time highlights in Netrunner. He was rooting for you pretty hard at worlds.

3 Likes

BACK IN THE DAY I INVENTED RP.

Main difference between me and the others mentioned is that I have no desire to play my own brews if I feel like something else is better and when I do come up with (or copy) a decent new deck I canā€™t shut up about it and it reaches netdeck status in 2 weeks. I would rather see my deck everywhere than have it be secret tech for a big tournament.

DLR Val is @thebigunit3000, Haarp was @Asclepius. Foodcoats built itself but shouts out to @Nordrunner. I popularized Stealth Andy but I actually built it after seeing someone else play the breaker suite on OCTGN. I actually built Regass.

I would not have had the balls to be the first guy to try Technical Writer.

16 Likes

Josh will use his common excuse:

ā€œI wasnā€™t around in 2014.ā€

Iā€™m with Dan. I like to save brain power by taking existing builds, and modifying them. I also enjoy pushing new builds (PPVP, Whizz) occasionally.

Bring on the SCs!

4 Likes

its also clot protection vs cvs. but i guess u knew that :wink:

I actually think itā€™d be really fun to have a cool ā€œHistory of Netrunnerā€ article. I had a talk with a guy at Vancouver Regionals who had just started recently about what decks were like a year or two ago (Iā€™ve been playing since Core set). The best was saying how Andy was 90% of Runner decks and that people wanted to ban Siphon! There have been several Tier 1 decks that have fallen by the wayside.

Hmm, this sounds fun, maybe Iā€™ll start putting something together!

Unrelated, but the Technical Writer is such a great include, Iā€™ve loved it every time! Great article, @nobo715! To be honest, I feel like Iā€™ve stagnated skillwise, so I think Iā€™ll take a lot of what you wrote to heart.

8 Likes

actually, what i meant was that if you look at some of the decks they have been bringing (jonā€™s GC corp, noahā€™s yog/personal touch, etc.) despite the lists flying around for a long time, nobody else is winning with these styles

i should have known spags would jump on me for mentioning a bunch of netrunner players other than Dan

3 Likes

I agree. Look at Timmyā€™s dex at Worlds, and Jonā€™s Nexus Kate deck.

We know theyā€™re on the next level, great people, and my heroes. They arenā€™t mentioned enough!

5 Likes

Feel Free to correct me, but Iā€™m pretty sure @BazooKaJoe invented RP Glacier. He won our Seattle regional the May before you won worlds with it. You can see his list here:

Ok. First sentence of second paragraph is:

Inspired by decks Iā€™ve seen Mediohxcore & Genestealers play, this is a taxing Jinteki Deck.

12 Likes

Enjoyed reading this. Have been playing for roughly a year now, and I was pretty happy winning a store champ, regional, and then coming second at my nationals, though Iā€™ve been a bit down ever since (2nd comes right after first :wink: ) especially since a lot of people have criticized me using good decks, which seems silly. This was just the read I needed to get my head back in the right space. And hopefully come next year I might be able to write a similar article ^^

great read, good resource for people who want small pointers on how to improve in tangible ways.

2 Likes

Seb was playing RP glacier at Cardiff regional, which (because of the silly UK season) was before any of yours.

1 Like

As a side note Iā€™m 99% sure it was Seb who went on to invent the MaxX hivemind megadig deck.

This is a bit like arguing about who decided to put SanSan City Grid and Astroscript Pilot Program in a deck together

22 Likes