TheBigBoy 45-Card Banned List Update

you know I didn’t notice until just now that you can trash cards as well as re-arrange them. I guess I can see the value of that but at two influence a pop I’m still not sure i’m sold on a 3-of…

Yeah. It isn’t a super efficient use of Influence, but it does make the deck a whole lot faster. I’m going to see if it has value as a 1x or 2x because Autoscripter sounds amazing.

I think QT could do sort of the same thing, but it is 3c a pop, which is rough. Plus, it doesn’t combo with Oracle. Not sure a more expensive, less synergistic card is where I want to be.

We had our first BBL 45 tournament last week at one of Toronto’s weekly casual nights. 7 participants with a wide variety of decks, interesting discussion, and fun. So thank you for putting together this format. Some sample decks people put together for the night:

First Place
Foundry Rig Shooter – https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/700753
Big Rig Kate (TR/Scavenge) – https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/698042

Second Place
False Echo Maxx (a particular brave choice I think) – https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/701869
Next Design Rush – https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/701774

Fifth Place
Reverse Nexus – Deckbuilder · NetrunnerDB
Harishchandra – Deckbuilder · NetrunnerDB

A few of our observations:

• Keyhole was very popular in runner decks and, possibly too strong in the format with no Jackson. Additionally, DLR could be an issue. In the face of those early observations, I think it’s worth simply removing Jackson from the bans. He is almost a game rules tweak as opposed to a “just a card” so, although he’s everywhere and always seen, including him might provide what the corp needs in the long term.

• NeXT Ice was strong and should be on a watch list. This might turn out to be just a side-effect of everyone simply skipping out on ice destruction due to lack of parasite. However, there’s cutlery and other options so this might auto-correct.

6 Likes

NEXT ICE has proven very strong. Try Sherman. It’s been working very well for me as a NEXT Silver counter.

I think people are defaulting to Keyhole because they still see R&D digging as the best way to win a game. In a format with no Jackson, perhaps HQ pressure cards are just as good? Something to think about. Keyhole is certainly good but I’m not sure yet if it’s overpowered.

Do you recall how the Runner Corp balance felt?

1 Like

I missed the original discussion about the 45-card banned list but think this looks like lots of fun.

PS. I would be interested in an online tournament if you’re looking for participants.

Yeah, you should make a Jinteki league of this!

SO awesome!!! I’m super jealous of y’all, I truly think this format is currently a lot more interesting than MWL (can’t call it unrestricted anymore can we?) and would love to put together some events in our area. I don’t know if it’s Kosher with FFG but I suspect our next GNK may be BB45…[quote=“wiley, post:23, topic:7508”]
However, there’s cutlery and other options so this might auto-correct.
[/quote]

this has been our experience so far - a buddy of mine has been crushing with prey-deja vu adam actually… Ok but weird jank aside cutlery is still crazy strong and prey is very playable, especially against NEXT.[quote=“wiley, post:23, topic:7508”]
Keyhole was very popular in runner decks and, possibly too strong in the format with no Jackson. Additionally, DLR could be an issue. In the face of those early observations, I think it’s worth simply removing Jackson from the bans. He is almost a game rules tweak as opposed to a “just a card” so, although he’s everywhere and always seen, including him might provide what the corp needs in the long term.
[/quote]

also our experience; Keyhole (or DLR for crims :stuck_out_tongue: ) has been omnipresent, and there’s absolutely no reason it shouldn’t be given the rest of this list. [quote=“TheBigBoy, post:24, topic:7508”]
In a format with no Jackson, perhaps HQ pressure cards are just as good?
[/quote]HQ pressure cards are much, much better without jackson, this is true. the trouble is that unless the corp opened with a flood (in which case you don’t need HQ multi; you’ve already won) they can’t exploit the “phase 1” part of the game where the corp is struggling to set up before you steal to much. Unless we ban every RnD multi card in the game, the best one standing is going to be “must include.”

TLDR moving the game away from RnD digs is a laudable goal but Jackson does more good than harm when it comes to mitigating the “you drew a bad hand and now you lose” of jackson-less netrunner.:stuck_out_tongue: Still love the format to death even if you never un-ban him tho

1 Like

Had a 5 round, 6 participant tournament last week. Using the Updated list.

Turning Wheel was very strong. It’s flexibility of being R+D and HQ multiaccess made it universal.

NEXT Ice was also good but I think our runners sensed that was happenign the first one they saw and adjusted their runs accordingly (aka not facechecking servers to give windows to rez Ice for no good reason, getting rig set up first etc)

HB was much weaker without ABT. Aside from NEXT, it was very generic. We didn’t see any spectacular stuff in faction.

Jinteki was interesting. Sure, the self-defending agenda aren’t there, but Medical Breakthrough is very solid still, and Braintrust blank 3/2 is still good enough. Palana is ETF level credits, so it was very popular. If ETF is banned for economy drip reasons, I would recommend Palana goes too, it’s too good. Too constant. Easy money on top of Jinteki shenanigans. Marcus Batty in faction with Trash Program subroutines turned out to be very influential. Runners often lost games when locked out of servers forever because they didn’t have effective recursion to counteract Batty + Interns. Something to examine as well, not sure what way to go…ban Batty or reintroduce a little more recursion? Dunno.

NBN had one degenerate uber-tag-me deck that was just sick. Restructured Data Pool is CRAZY with Aryabhata Tech and Primary Transmission Dish. It went undefeated, and rightly so. Props to the person who brought that jank, it was beautiful and terrible.

Nothing to say about Weyland. One Punitive GovTake deck that 50/50. Eh…about right.

Runners were overall a bit soft. Adam seemed the strongest, but none won more than 3 games total. So…eh? Maybe they need a few more tools? I dunno if I can read much more into them.

2 Likes

Since everyone’s initial reaction to the list was that Corp would be terrible, I’m OK with them being on top for a bit.

The Turning Wheel is 100% going to be banned in the next update. Feel free to ban it for your events. Its abuse case is far too strong. I just need to do some careful thinking about what comes off. It may be Same Old Thing.

Marcus Batty is on watch, but I suspect he will remain unbanned at least for the next update. There are tons of ways to play around him (I have 3x of all my breakers AND 2 Crypsis in my Runner deck ATM).

EtF’s ability is FAR stronger than Palana’s. If you actively play around it as runner you can really cut down on their earnings.

The universal reaction to NEXT ICE in different communities is that it totally dominates at first but as people adjust their decks and style it becomes good but not oppressive. I do not plan on taking action against NEXT ICE. Prey is a super cool answer to NEXT Silver. Good catch on that one :slight_smile:

Yeah the Aryabhata deck is awesome. And they said Whizzard would be bad… :wink:

I wonder if Cybernetics court could be made good. None of their stuff is banned, (at least, until Batty is).

do you mean Cybernetics Court or Cybernetics Division?

Assuming by context you mean Cybernetics Division then I think yeam, it could be solid, mostly for the deck size rather than anything else. Rush is a very sound game plan in this format and with Edge of the World/Overwriter bluffs to help you close out the 44 card deck is very appealing. That said, Foundry is an extremely boss rush ID (always has been, actually… good riddance EtF) so it might be tough to justify the reduced hand size unless you have a pretty robust damage plan to leverage.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant division. My bad.

Mumba Temple isn’t banned? Guess it hasn’t been an issue yet but it seems much stronger than all other drip options, especially in Gagarin

With no museum or MCH, paying 3-4 to kill it looks a lot more attractive (in theory).

Wanted to say I built my first decks under the BB45 and brought them to the LGS tonight. I was the only one playing under these limitations but I had a ton of fun; went 1-5, but most games were very close. I brought CT Stealth with Peddlers and Exclusive Partys and BABW with Sub Boost. I look forward to playing more under these limitations; the game felt fresh. I would certainly be interested in a tournament but due to lack of Internet at home cannot play. Still, I hope this continues to pick up traction, both in local scenes and on JNET. Thanks for your efforts, Abram.

2 Likes

Things with low trash costs are a bigger liability when you can’t use Jackson to grind out the game. Every Corp strategy probably has to involve some form of proactive scoring.

That said, Mumba is probably quite good, but certainly not broken.

1 Like

WOW! :open_mouth: I played no BB45 (I can’t keep competitive in multiple formats, especially if one is purely online with a small group of people), but this seems very bizarro worldy (in a good way). Gang sign OP?!?! :laughing: What is this weird meta? Would be interesting to try, alas it is probably never to be :confused:

1 Like

played several fun games with this outstanding person tonight

remote was triple cobra :slight_smile:
red tape on archives was emergency measures after turn 1 sneakdoor started wrecking me after i t1 hedge, ice hq ice rnd

2 Likes

So now that Astro is 1 per deck…what’sup with this?