Tournament report: 1st at Philly

Congrats again, you played super well. I had a great view of the final game and got to see exactly what you were doing the whole game, which was really interesting and impressive.

I think you were right that picking Corp was wrong. I was feeling that if I won this game (which I was more comfortable with the HB Kate matchup than a lot of other ones for HB) I could get runner side through the rest of the winners brackets and have a huge edge for my stronger side (which I think was correct). However, I wasnā€™t thinking about the fact that you invented the deck with Calimsha and had almost certainly practiced it a ton vs. Kate. Was a fun game and I didnā€™t feel I was that far from pulling it off (thought definitly the underdog), but you deserved that win and all your wins. Jealous that you get to go to worlds now. But thatā€™s FFG for you.

3 Likes

I think itā€™s a bit churlish to say this despite winning the thing with Astrobiotics. Especially having beaten more than one Kate with clot. I agree runners are on top, but there are a bunch of decent corp ideas doing the rounds at the moment and itā€™s really good that the top tables arenā€™t awash with Yellow, Red and nothing else.

I canā€™t even moan about Kate being everywhere at Redcaps.

4 Likes

Well, astrobiotics was able to go the distance because I won a coin toss on predicting the meta. Cambridge was crawling with Kate players (top 8 of 6 kates, 1 kit, 1 whiz). I just guessed that with a bunch of weeks since the last astrobiotic win (I think Zachā€™s Atlanta win) people would be growing bored of kate, and that in the home of reg-ass max there would be a lot more orange and a lot less green. But kate is still the best runner deck.

I have high hopes for Fisk Investment Seminar to live up to. :open_mouth:

1 Like

5 Kate, 2 Kit, 1 Noise. Pedant hat off now.

4 Likes

Fine :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a tons of feedback from players who ask me how I win with Kate against Butcher/RP/Blue Sun/HB Rush because they struggle a lon against some particular matchups. It seems that the deck is harder to pilot than what people think it would be.

1 Like

Iā€™m still not great with it against RP or kill decks, and Iā€™ve been playing it since it was invented.

Why is it that you shouldnā€™t install Mimic versus butchershop? Not enough threatening sentries?

1 Like

Repeatedly breaking Raven and removing the tag is a lot less efficient than just Parasiting it to death. Even if you have to run through it, you can beat the trace for $2 (plus whatever the corp spends), which isnā€™t that much better than breaking it for $1 and a sucker token. Gutenberg on R&D is obviously pretty big for Mimic.

2 Likes

Try putting utopia shard instead of your stimhack. Stim is only good anymore against blue sun, and for getting out atman6 occasionally vs RP. It obviously adds like 15% to your butcher matchup and it also helps your HQ threat vs RP (combos with sucker). Actually, I donā€™t think I played my stimhack all day long.

Itā€™s part of the fan-made promo set Rob and I got from spags to use as ANRPC participation prizes.

5 Likes