Worldwide Regional Results

Itzehoe had 5 Rounds of Swiss and a Top 4 Cut for 29 players. Combined Standings after the cut:

1. Heinzel SYNC/Whizzard
  2. Marsellus Titan/Noise
  3. Dome NEH/Whizzard
  4. Daniela Sol/Ken Tenma
  5. Ole Haarpsichord/Noise
  6. Bjarne EtF/Ken Tenma
  7. Falk Argus/Kit
  8. Mark NEH/Whizzard
2 Likes

That custom playmat is beautiful. I’d love one, but I just can’t make that trip today :frowning:

I wrote down the results for the Dallas regional (with top 4 pending) and then I forgot it at the store =. Here’s what I can remember.

After Swiss:

1. Greg Feeney @flowerscandrink NEH/Kate
  2. Allen Haas @doomrat Palana/Andromeda
  3. Geoff Pendry @Damien_Stark Palana/Maxx
  4. Max Brown @Asclepius EtF/Valencia
  5. Sam Suied @SamRS SYNC/Whizz
  6. Kevin Dickerson SYNC/Whizz
  7. Andrew Furst Haarp/Kate
  8. Tom Keaton Haley/SYNC

Final

1. Andrew
  2. Sam
  3. Max
  4. Tom
    5/6) Allen
    5/6) Kevin
    7/8) Greg
    7/8) Geoff

Will update with the result of the grand finals. Updated now.

3 Likes

Sam got second, Andrew Furst got 1st. Kevin on Sync I believe

1 Like

I was 7/8th in ATL. Zach, Pacer, and I played almost identical corp decks, going a combined 14-1 on the day. Our lists are here: Astro City Hall's Temple Thingy (8th ATL Regional, variant o · NetrunnerDB

My Andy list is here: jack carvis 4 prez 2016 (8th place ATL regionals) · NetrunnerDB

Really fun tournament, 41 players. Zach ended up taking it! Repeating his stomping of us southeast nerds from last year! One day ATL may win its own regional…

4 Likes

Won IL with Whizz/IG. Legendary reverse Moby in T8 vs @Daine as I won on time with IG (GFI scored). Only played 2 out of 5 rounds of Swiss with no bye used. Props to @spags for a third place finish and always getting under my skin.

6 Likes

Why only 2 rounds of Swiss? & grats

Most likely 3 IDs

1 Like

It kind of seems like everyone would have to be doing really, really bad for you to be able to ID three times total and still make the cut.

1 Like

No, just early sweeps and splitting with very good players with good SoS.

1 Like

IL Regional - 55 players

Swiss:

Finals:
1- Joe Schupp - Whizz/IG
2 - Daine Stevens - Kate/NEH
3 - spags - Whizz/NEH
4 - Daniel Cook - Whizz/NEH
5 - Greyson Inman - MaxX/NEH
6 - Andrew Webber - Whizz/NEH(?)
7 - Asher Stuhlman - MaxX/NEH
8 - Rob Wiley - Whizz/IG

2/5 Swiss is kinda absurd.

5 Likes

Seems risky to split round 3, but I’m apparently not that good at gaming the tournament structure =P Grats on the win, and the epic timed IG win. That must have been a game for the ages ^^

On a different topic, basically every tournament winner was playing Mumbad City Hall in their decks! Card’s good, people.

Asher almost made the cut playing 2 games. Josh Wilson made him play last round.

2 Likes

I can’t be the only one that thinks that ID’ing makes me want to go to events less, can I? I mean, what’s the point of doing your best and trying hard if you’re just going to lose to people who don’t actually play the game?

10 Likes

You are not the only one, after all, the point of a tournament of Netrunner is to play Netrunner and IDs are exactly the opposite of that. In fact, they are something much worse: They are an elitist tool that only a clique have access to.

Simply put: They provide an advantage to people based on who they know, and not according to how well they played. That’s ugly and unfair and does drive many people out of the game as its disrespectful of the game, the tournament and everyone involved on it.

Of course, “pros” will defend the practice since they think who they “deserve” an advantage other people don’t have access to.

I mean, people are getting into the top by playing only against one opponent. That’s beyond absurd.

5 Likes

You really are a gem of these forums. First, dumping on the GLC MWL, now this.

FFG introduced IDs, as it’s impossible to police. I was already doing them when they illegal. I’m glad they’re in the open.

However, don’t blame ‘cliques’ or ‘pros’. The fact there’s an open rule actually allows ALL to use them, not just ‘pros’ like me, who ID’d when it wasn’t kosher.

What happened yesterday was absurd, but it’s consensual and a roll of the dice. 3rd in Swiss (me) through 14th were all on 14 prestige. If you want to ID in, and end on 14, in this example, better have decent SOS. My opponent didn’t, so we played, to give him the sweep chance.

Here’s the real problem: FFG’s arbitrary round numbers. They prob. didn’t expect the drastically reduced attendance numbers, but only 2 US Regionals (WI, NYC) went over 57, getting to 6 rounds. I attended one of those, and noted having that six round forced way more plays, and less IDs. I started 6-0 there, and had to sweep the last round to make the cut. So many Regionals were close, in the 50s. I think the rule in the Advanced structure should be 6 rounds of Swiss at 33+. People generally want to play more ANR. Give the people what they want (like they did with IDs).

FWIW, I didn’t ID all day yesterday.

19 Likes

I could really care less if people wanted to ID if it only affected their score and their opponents score. What I find a bit irritating about the system is that by removing the possibility that one of those players goes 2-0 over the other, they are directly manipulating someone else’s standing because of strength of schedule.

That is, if I lose to player A who then ID’s with player B, I’m effectively worse off than if they had played their games legitimately and player A had swept B (which would raise my SoS).

At this Chicago Regional, I ended up being one of the players tied and not able to play in the cut based on Strength of Schedule and I played all my games to get there. It’s a bit frustrating to have played all 5 rounds and know that many of the players in the cut didn’t. I guess it seems like ID’ing should be something that only happens in the last round between players who are already 1st-4th seed who basically “should” already get in, not something that people do after sweeping two games and just basically cruise into the cut.

I know some players will disagree, and I accept that ID’s are basically a necessary evil. As Spags pointed out, people were going to falsely report ID’s anyway even when the practice was not legal according to tournament rules. I’m not sure what the solution to the issue is, but as it stands it does seem to take away a bit from the competitive spirit of things. One solution I’ve heard proposed is that in the last round of swiss you would only play a half round (1 game instead of 2) but against 2 different players. This would make it impossible to ID the last round because you and your opponent couldn’t get equal benefit from doing so and it would simulate another round of swiss for the calculation of strength of schedule by factoring in an additional opponent’s schedule.

7 Likes

TLDR: increase opportunity cost of early ID’s

I agree that having intentional draws be legal is superior to the situation where they are unenforceably illegal. It has been interesting to see the opposite path taken in the chess world where various tourney organizers have imposed move limits that must be reached prior to a draw offer or in some cases simply banned agreed draws altogether (which is just silly given the threefold repetition rule). It hasn’t increased the rate of decisive games one iota.

I was going to say that the simplest way to stop players from coasting to the cut on IDs is just to change the scoring system to devalue them. However, if a played out split is worth more than ID, we will just be back to the situation of people constructing artificial splits as they did in the illegal ID days. What about having “number of sweeps” as a first tiebreaker? I don’t think that would eliminate ID’s (I personally don’t think they need eliminated, but a reduction would probably be welcomed by a lot of people), but it would make ID’ing in early rounds riskier.

This could work well in combination with a small increase in the number of rounds of Swiss.

Rather than attack ID’s, why not just make them a less powerful tool?

Btw, if the top tables are ID’ing while you are sweeping your way through middle Swiss rounds, you will likely have a crack at those players late in the tournament. One unlucky game early on doesn’t automatically eliminate you, even in a four-rounder.

EDIT: Cross-post with rubyvr00m

EDIT: why not just change the round structure in Swiss to how the cut works? Is it really necessary to have a Corp/runner match with every opponent, as long as you play Corp and Runner an equal number of times?

4 Likes

The issue with the current system of IDs is that there are too few rounds of swiss. We should be allowed to ID but for it to be safe to triple-ID is dumb. I haven’t seen any elitism from IDs, pretty much everyone knows when they can ID, or I tell them when it’s a good move, and then they do it.

Won NYC regionals (68 or 69 players) with Whiz and Hot Tubs. Museum decks undefeated for me this year.

17 Likes