We need a Pan-European tournament and we need it soon!

+1 for Wroclaw or Berlin :wink:

1 Like

How have past editions been?
Hm, that is a question for the participants, Feedback was good, time delays and problems minimal.
Would it be possible to expand it?
It has grown from the start, but was always in the same city until now, twice a year.
When is the next tournament held?
Discussing with the venue in the moment, they upped their prices, but after SC before regio season.

I did the nights before casual events (drafts, beginner decksā€¦) and did contact FFG, but no response at all.

+1 for Berlin. London is too expensive.

2 Likes

As a participant, hereā€™s my take:
I went to the Euregio a year ago, the drive wasā€¦five or six hours I think and it was absolutely worth it. The casual event (draft) the day before was great fun with cheap beer. The event itself was fantastic as well, the location has enough space so the air doesnā€™t get hard to breathe after one round, the atmosphere was really relaxed, beer was (again) cheap. The matchups were projected onto the wall, but were (along with standings) also available online, in case you want to check between rounds. This means not everyone needs to pester poor Falko all the time. 10/10 will come again. The only bad thing is that I did not get to see much of Aachen, but so it goes.

4 Likes

I donā€™t know yet how, but this may be relevant: http://www.eurogrid.net/

1 Like

Ok so if itā€™s held, we will look into getting other European groups involved and then travel and accomodations. When does SC end?

I might be crazy enough to go and try for a national group in Portugal go to this. Just need to know logistics (when, how much, etc) so I can start organizing. But good work on this! :smile:

I am happy about every participants that show up and have fun, but a few rwmarks before. The Euregio is no official and no Tier 1 event. It is in the mom a one day swiss only tournament with some sideevents before and a price pool i donate out of my stuff and things i get donated. I did custom playmats, you could see those on team workcast videos, which did a coverage of every euregio there was, once.
This is not a try to get a lvl between nationals and worlds into the ffg op, of which i have no oppinion anymore or take part in, but a opportunity to have fun with as much likeminded runners from as many nations as possible.
I donnot know whether i have posted the details of the last euregios in this forum, because as you can see, i am not very active here, not as a co tributor, nor as a reader.

I willpost the detailsof the 5th Euregio here, or better i try to remember it as soon as i got a date from the venue.

1 Like

Aks ricardo, he was on every euregio there was.

2 Likes

Just saw this thread. Damn! I love the hype for a pan-european tournament!

First and most importantly, as the thread-starter mentioned, place is of utmost importance. The best solution I could think of would be to run the tournament at two central places, switching year by year, thus making it fair for everyone.
This year in Belgium or Germany for example and next year in Poland, thus making it feel closer to certain countries each time.

Secondly, regarding the organization, we already have a team of very ready and willing-to-run things people from all the countries. Eurogrid.netā€™s team is comprised of TOs and judges from many European countries and I feel would be the perfect platform to go through if we are to organize such a thing.

Regarding who would be running the things on the top level, I would say that should be Falko. Despite his very limited amount of time, he has managed to run 5 Euregio tournaments with great success. Those tournaments were the most international tournaments Iā€™ve been to next to the ones we run here in the Netherlands. He is the best for that kind of thing.

The Eurogrid team can start discussing places and stuff of course, since everyone in the team has had experience with running big events for their own country and hopefully we will be able to find a solution for a good venue in some country. Everyone has connections in their countries, so it canā€™t be that hard if everyone starts ā€œCalling in favorsā€. Amirite?

That would mean that we would have to schedule it at least 6-7 months in advance of course so that people can start preparing. Prizes would have to be equivalent to Nationals prizes (at least) and it would have to include some custom stuff. Falko very nicely suggested we make eurogrid.net playmats for the winners of Euregio, so we could do something like that for the Pan-European one.

I could get in touch with FFGā€™s organized play and see if we can run something like that and how many things we need to get past the distributor companies before we are able to run such a thing. Worst case scenario, if itā€™s taking too long, or the distributors are taking too long, then we just go with the custom solution.

Nonetheless, we have already put in a lot of work for getting people together and informed through Eurogrid.net so I think we are already off to a good start because of the hard work of that team alone.

7 Likes

We could start by asking the question that was already mentioned.

Which groups would be interested in such a tournament in September?
What would they need to know in order to be interested?
(prizes, costs for travel/accommodations, etc.)
Who would run it? (As I already said, we have the right people for that)

Before this thread derails and becomes another ANRPC-related tournament organization thread, I think it shouldnā€™t be related to that. It could however include a ticket to worlds, but thatā€™s something that has to be looked into.

A ticket to worlds would make it much more prestigious though.

3 Likes

Just to bring in another place, do you know this airport? It is in the middle of nowhere, but very cheap to fly to and there are some venues nearbye i could organize: http://www.airport-weeze.de/en

It has a RyanAir connection to many places, so that should work just fine. I think we need to check the playgroups though first.

How is the progress on this? We must start organizing ASAP so more people can attend this, as was said. Did we settle for a place already (at Euregio) ? I, personally, donā€™t really care if itā€™s an official event or not, just for the experience and traveling to a new country to play Netrunner and meet all of these great European players that I have been seeing and reading about would be great. Custom prize support would be excellent but experiencing such event is enough reward for me (kinda like Worlds to many people).

Hey, sorry for taking so long to answer, I donā€™t have much time during the week and I didnā€™t want to give a half-assed answer so I decided to wait.

I think @Kelfecil has covered most of the points, though. But really I think we should go step by step, first getting a possible location, then seeing who can organize it and so on.

So the first question is: Should we turn Eurogio into this Pan-European, skill-driven tournament? As organizer @zwobot has the first and final words on the subject, I donā€™t want to change his tournament radically or anything like that.

Iā€™m not quite sure (Iā€™m not representative of the players that would travel) but from the top of my head:

1. The top Spanish players will almost certainly be interested in going if they have the time and itā€™s not too expensive.
  2. I donā€™t think prizes are of any interest, what matters is the competition, whoā€™s going, etc. They would prefer if you could find some kind of accomodation, but we went to hostels and the like already. Simply having a place to go that is not too far away would be ok.
  3. I think we would need to know where it is first as most of the work would need to be done by locals.

That said, some kind of custom prize (ā€œPromoā€ cards, for example) would be very nice.

Fair enough. The custom prizes we can handle very easily me and Falko. We got tons of experience in those.

Guess we need a good place then first. Shall we hear some good suggestions? What about the place Falko mentioned.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/1/22/2016-organized-play/

I think this is very good news for us. FFG makes separate USA Nationals and North American Championships. They likely be providing two different prize support sets, I guess the Origins one will be the same as at all other Nationals, it might be possible to talk FFG OP into idea of Continental Weekend - making official European Championships on same weekend as GenCon with same prize support from FFG + whatever else we arrange by ourselves. The Weeze Airport looks interesting, should be easy to get there from most places which are too far to drive. And start of August might be good to find a cheap venue (itā€™s holiday so schools and universities have lots of empty space available).

@Kelfecil @zwobot what do you think about this? What are othersā€™ opinions?

Iā€™ll try seeing what I can find about making it a more official thing. Iā€™ll have to go through distributors but Iā€™ll try my best.

Iā€™ve talked with FFG OP through e-mails about this in the past but they said that even though they want to keep improving the events and the prize support, the matter of asking for such things still goes through the distributors first.

Yes, I talked about this to them as well around 18 months ago having same problems, and I guess weā€™ll have to work with at least one of the European distributors, but when the prize kit is ready anyway because USA uses it, it might be that all will become way less work for that distributor so (as long as preparing the event is on us and not on them) it should be easier to make this happen. I think Bergsala Enigma might be a good partner for this - they already are FFG distributor for 5 different countries, organized Scandinavian Nationals which rotate from country to country, so the idea of a big international event may be appealing to them. How good is contact between Dutch Netrunner players and Bergsala?

Well, between the players and the distributor, not much at all. Itā€™s mostly between the store owners and the distributor and despite the owners being cool guys, I have a hard time getting information for many things. I have the distributorā€™s e-mail but I havenā€™t felt like sending an e-mail yet.

I think I will send one by Monday though and see if they reply. Iā€™ll address all these things and see what kind of answers I can get for that kind of thing.

As you said, the prize kit is already available, and making one more PAX-like prize kit shouldnā€™t be that hard for them right? But letā€™s see how much the distributor can demand as well, because saying ā€œyes we can demand something for a Pan-European tournamentā€ is not easy enough when they donā€™t really know exactly who will run it and how it will be ran to actually work as a good event that addresses the Pan-European thing effectively.