What beats Museum builds?

See title. Lists appreciated.

Anything other than Whizzard?

If Whizzard, specific splashes/adds, and or strategies?

Related question: is deck size public knowledge; i.e., is the corp player required to tell you the number of cards in his/her deck at start of game if you ask?

I believe deck size is (effectively) public knowledge, since you can get a count on cards remaining in r&d at any point (so, ask first turn and add 5).

Check the anti-ig thread for strategy. Some of the stuff there (net shield, etc.) may not be applicable to gaga/NEH museum builds, though.

Yes. As @strundle said, number of cards in stack and R&D is public knowledge. Either ask them at the beginning of the game before they draw, or have a count during the game and do the math. But, I believe most players will just tell you how much they started with and do the math with played/discarded/removed cards instead of wasting time to count the number.

@tmoiynmwg’s deck that he used to win the Vegas regional is the best list I’ve seen specifically to counter-act Museum (IG variant):

Here are the strategy from his description:

The IG matchup is excellent. You “happen” to have 3 Deja Vu and 3 SOT for winning the current war, so just methodically trash every card they play, steal all their, and Medium dig for the win.

I also played Desperado Val with 2 Scrubbers and 1 Archive Interface.It’s kind of hate but turns out also good against non-Museum builds.

Sec Testing + Desp goes a long way.

2 Likes

FWIW – I was also trying Val/Scrubber builds. I had a decent amount of success against IG and its pretty bonkers against Gagarin MoH builds, but I found it a bit slow for other matchups (esp. NEH – and Desperado over Turntable makes it that much harder to shutdown the train). Anyway, I made the switch to Whizzard after months of resisting him. He’s probably a bit worse against Gaga, but having the credits to trash from turn 1 definitely helps keep IG from just exploding out of the gate.

1 Like

Not playing.

6 Likes

I’m toying around with a Shaper deck that uses Faust, Patron, and either Jak Sinclair or John Masanori. You get 2 cards for no click vs. horizontal decks, but in Shaper, or you get 3 cards for 1 click – essentially another Diesel per turn. Has anyone tried something similar?

Interesting idea.

With John, you save influence. The downside is that you have to spend the click to get all three cards and comes with strings attached if you fail a run.

With Jak, you’ll have to spend 4+ influence to utilize him as a central part of your engine and, unless you have at least 1 link, he’s more expensive to start up. However, you get to make a clickless run to gain cards and then have the option to spend your first click taking a card. Taking 3 cards for one click is the same for both, but at least Jak is at least a free 2 cards.

In my opinion, it comes down to the influence. If you have some to spare, throw in some Jak. If influence is tight, stick with old-school John. Now, there’s no reason you couldn’t combo the two, right? If you had 2 Jak + 1 John in your deck (at the very least, and along with Patron), you’d be raining cards like nobody’s business. WyldCakes who?!?!?!

How bad would your glacier matchup be and is it worth it?

I play Valpocalypse. Not only is it madly aggressive with Siphons and Keyhole, which punishes Museum decks hard, but you have Apocalypse as a reset button. An angry Valencia absolutely preys on decks with a low ICE count, and since almost all Museum decks also run Mumba Temple, you’ll breeze through the matchups.

I think the nice thing in Shaper is that you can still choose to use Faust as an auxiliary breaker, depending on how you build the deck. But I’ll have to test it to see how it goes.

Here’s a draft of what I’m thinking so far. Haven’t had a chance to play real games yet but it looks to be promising based on the card draw simulator on NetrunnerDB, at least.

HyperFaust Kate

Kate “Mac” McCaffrey: Digital Tinker

Event (11)
3x Diesel
3x Dirty Laundry
1x Levy AR Lab Access
1x Notoriety
3x Sure Gamble

Hardware (8)
2x Astrolabe
3x Clone Chip ☆☆☆
1x Plascrete Carapace
2x R&D Interface

Resource (15)
1x Artist Colony
1x Film Critic
2x Jak Sinclair ••••
1x John Masanori
3x Patron
3x Professional Contacts
1x Same Old Thing
3x Technical Writer

Icebreaker (4)
1x Atman
1x Chameleon
1x Faust ••
1x Inti

Program (8)
1x Clot ••
1x D4v1d ••••
2x Hyperdriver
1x Paricia
3x Self-modifying Code

12 influence spent (max 15-3☆=12)
46 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Salsette Island

Deck built on https://netrunnerdb.com.

Figure out how to code a netrunner AI based on player behavior on Jinteki/OCTGN and the group think of reddit/BGG/Stimhack and do that, publish a client for which to play netrunner against the computer and play that a bunch of times.

Also, run archives more, there aren’t always shocks in there

1 Like