Where is the MWL? - As of August 20th, 2018 - MWL 2.2 is here (effective 2018.09.06)

Interesting question. If the new spoiled MWL is real, it will be interesting to see how the meta evolves. Andy initially rises to the top, but I believe criminals are much easier to tech against than anarchs. Rigshooting strategies and glacier with some of the new ice with teeth, 2x crisium grid and friends, are among matchups that can all be rough for blue.

So do they adapt to the hate with different deckbuilding choices and tech cards to counter strategies such as rigshooting, or does the competitive scene branch off in different directions when criminal hate/bad matchups become more common? Stay tuned.

I do agree with the posters who highlight tracker as a great option if you’re worried about Batty, although hunter seeker will soon be an issue too.

1 Like

I think Criminal are almost trival to tech against. Batty, Crisium and big cheap code gates can really ruin them. Grail ice, for while it was a thing, was pretty devastating for them.

The hard part is having an anti-Criminal deck that handles the other factions.

3 Likes

Since Sifr came out a few monthes ago, and they waited 6 monthes to MWL MoH, you can expect a few more monthes there.

the 6mo rule was Damon’s own for himself, so Boggs won’t necessarily have to abide by that

3 Likes

Well, why not but I’d say Damon is still around as chief editor until end of Mars ?
Would Boggs work alone on a new MWL allready ?

Damon is no longer an FFG employee, as of 2 months ago.

6 Likes

Okay, I did not know that. I understand why some thinks the professor rule is not carved in stone then.
Lukas is still around ?

I was under the impression that the 6mo rule was not Damon’s choice, hearding the way he replied to those guys in the podcast presenting the current mwl.

From everything I heard from him, the 6 month rule was his idea. It was also his idea to create cards where it would be necessary to break that rule.

13 Likes

Both Damon and Boggs have now hinted very strongly that there’s an anti-Sifr card coming up in Red Sands. They might be waiting until that pack is released or spoiled before they update the MWL. Or who knows, maybe they both though Self Adapting Code Wall was the card that will save Netrunner.

5 Likes

I don’t want an anti-Sifr card, I want cards of a reasonable and consistent power level such that I don’t need to pack a hate card to counter 1 particular runner card.

Just because we have MCA informant to counter Aaron Marron does not mean that Aaron’s design isn’t busted. The game just swings ever more wildly as these over-powered cards and hate-cards drive us further and further away from the solid mechanics at the core of the game.

38 Likes

I interpreted Boggs’ statement more as that we’d be getting cards that Sifr is necessary to counter, or that Sanburg was gonna get a lot of support. Neither of those things seem too appealing to me, so I hope you’re right.

Colour me intrigued. I am familiar with Damon saying as much (in an interview with Run Last Click, I believe), but I am not familiar with Boggs having said anything of the sort. Got a link?

1 Like

LLDS Energy Regulator new meta.

HS is Terminal Directive, not Red Sands. Also, I don’t feel that Hunter-Seeker is any more of an anti-Sifr card than it is an anti-everything card. Hunter-Seeker is good against installed cards; Sifr is a card that can be installed, but so is any other console.

2 Likes

I was kidding.

3 Likes

I think it was The Winning Agenda? He’s been on so many podcasts recently I’ve lost track.

At the same time, I’m almost positive that Hunter Seeker is the card Damon refered to when they mention Sifr becoming less of a problem. Even if this was a perfect fix (and it’s not at all - it hits Nexus and Maw even worse), the idea that it’s ok to break the game as long as you fix it 3 months later is bewildering to me. There’s a reason mobile games give you bonuses for logging in every day - smart companies know that when someone doesn’t play a game for a few days, they often pick up something else and never come back.

15 Likes

I believe he also said that he’s contracting with FFG on a temporary basis. But, that doesn’t mean he has a final say on any MWL decisions; he might give his opinion.

IIRC, Lukas didn’t want to do any kind of ban or restriction. MWL is all on Damon, and he did pretty much as soon as he could. What Boggs does with it now that he’s the head guy, is all on Boggs.

2 Likes

As per usual, silver bullets can have a harsh amount of collateral damage (see: ES; Aaron) than perhaps intended. I know for sure Damon mentioned HS, which is far from an answer to any issue, as it’s 2 INF, and fairly conditional.

6 Likes