Where is the MWL? - As of August 20th, 2018 - MWL 2.2 is here (effective 2018.09.06)

About Aaron, maybe they hope it encourages a few more 5/3 agendas?
Fewer agendas in your deck means fewer Aaron counters, and that might be an interesting decision with more relevant 5/3s.

3 Likes

I just felt like counting some things. The following list may be a bit too reductive to draw any useful insights (it’s tempting to argue, for example, that Mumbad and Flashpoint weren’t necessarily quite the mess that people claim, but a lot of the earlier cards on the MWL didn’t become a problem until sometime after their release). Still, it’s interesting to see it all laid out:

MWL Level 1:
6 evergreen
1 Spin
3 Lunar
3 Mumbad
1 Flashpoint

MWL Level 3:
1 Spin
2 SanSan
1 Mumbad
2 Flashpoint

4 Likes

I took it the same @spags did. It seemed that Boggs didn’t want to go over 20 cards for his first MWL as he got support from colleagues and bosses. I have no doubt that he won’t keep himself to that limit going forward. I remember the restricted list for AGOT 1.0 was more than 50 cards near the end, so FFG has no problem with large lists if it’s needed for balance.

4 Likes

also things that score points without being agendas like Public Support, Clones Are Not People, etc.

Didn’t AGoT have to maintain compability with the old CCG cards? I feel like AGoT isn’t the best comparison.

Possibly, but there isn’t another LCG that has as many sets and expansions as Netrunner from FFG, besides Call of Cthulhu, which has 8 banned cards and dozens of erratas (not sure how many are for balance, since I’ve never played the game).

Plus, 22 of the restricted cards for AGoT 1.0 are from sets since they switched to 60 cards Chapter Packs, so it’s not like the list is only from old broken CCG cards.

4 Likes

No banned cards as of the final FAQ! But 32 restricted cards (the restricted list in that game meaning you can only one card from the list in your deck [you can include a full playset of it, though], which is how they broke up negative play experience combos). I’d say that most of the serious errata is clustered around the early cards (which had a legacy from the CCG to overcome), and, uh, Damon’s designs, many of which were just YOLO’d into print as far as I can tell :slight_smile: .

All in all, I wouldn’t say the errata + restriction list was too bad for a game with 7 full cycles & 10 deluxe boxes, especially given the major shifts from CCG to early-LCG to newer-LCG. Ideally, it would have been playtested better.

Honestly, that’s probably what it comes down to for netrunner, too: games need the best playtesting possible :slight_smile:

4 Likes

https://i1.wp.com/aurorefolny.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/AaronMarron_AuroreFolny.jpg?fit=300%2C269

11 Likes

Hmmm… Maybe there’s another list somewhere, but I was looking at the FAQ from the FFG product page:

Pages 5-7 have 3 column lists of erratas and page 8 has this banned list:

(v2.0) Banned Cards
The following cards are not legal for organized
tournament or league play:
ARKHAM EDITION
The Rip-off R82
ELDRITCH EDITION
Rite of Passage R14
Secrets of Bubastis R44
Theosophist Meeting R74
Dream Summoning R104
Saturnalia R134
Born in the Spheres R164
Veneration of Apis R194

It’s dated from 7/10/2008, so maybe they don’t keep the documents on the website up to date.

That was the last CCG FAQ; the last LCG faq is here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/8d/37/8d37fe25-8948-4853-a047-2a44962e734f/coc-faq_ver_42_worlds_2015_update.pdf

Not sure why they keep the other one around; perhaps for historic purposes?

The following cards are restricted for LCG tournament play. A player may select 1 card from this restricted list for any given deck, and cannot then play with any other restricted cards in the same deck. A player may run as many copies of his chosen restricted card in a deck as the regular game rules allow.

Itinerant Scholar (Core F30)
Ravager of the Deep (Core F46)
Shocking Transformation (Core F140)
Diseased Sewer Rats (Secrets of Arkham F44)
Broken Space, Broken Time (Forgotten Lore F59)
Infernal Obsession (Summons of the Deep F51)
Twilight Gate (Dreamlands F12)
Dreamlands Fanatic (Dreamlands F47)
Guardian Pillar (Dreamlands F78)
Obsessive Insomniac (Dreamlands F110)
Nyarlathotep (Dreamlands F117)
Speak to the Dead (The Yuggoth Contract F20)
Museum Curator (The Yuggoth Contract F70)
Doppelgänger (The Yuggoth Contract F79)
Khopesh of the Abyss (Ancient Relics F16)
Temple of R’lyeh (Ancient Relics F73)
Stygian Eye (Ancient Relics F96)
Master of the Myths (Ancient Relics F101)
Uroborus (Revelations F3)
Feed Her Young (Revelations F11)
Marcus Jamburg (Revelations F40)
Matthew Alexander (Seekers of Knowledge F7)
Alternative Historian (Seekers of Knowledge F15)
Por XV 14:19 (Seekers of Knowledge F44)
Nikola Tesla (The Key and the Gate F4)
Lost Oracle (The Key and the Gate F9)
Yithian Scout (The Key and the Gate F15)
Rite of the Silver Gate (The Key and the Gate F25)
Studying the Void (The Key and the Gate F35)
Interstellar Migration (The Key and the Gate F37)
The Festival (The Key and the Gate F51)
Josef Meiger (Denizens of the Underworld F52)

Banned List

There are currently no cards that are banned from official tournament play for Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game

I thought that it seems a bit old, but right at the top of the document I linked it said:

Call of Cthulhu Living Card Game

Likely more FFG templating/FAQ typos.

Digging this back up from the deeps due to The Source interview with Boggs.

He talked about some of the things he’s working on for a updated MWL coming “relatively soon.”

Things of note:
Estelle is a “strong contender,” Aaron’s definitely in, Friends “will not only cost one influence.” NAPD may be coming off, AD is a “candidate.”

EDIT: Before I forget, they also mentioned that 24/7 is “problematic.”

7 Likes

How can Aaron be locked in while Estelle is just being considered? (But I mostly agree on the mentioned cards)

It’s almost certainly based on when they were released. There was a lot of speculation that Aaron would be on the previous MWL, so it’s very possible that he dodged that one but had already been pencilled in for the next update.

Moon is much newer, so the conversations about whether she should be added and at what level are probably still going on, even if the answers seem obvious.

3 Likes

I read this, and to be honest it seems like a huge over-reaction to put Estelle on there based on populism rather than reality. It’s being discussed I assume because of a single specific Corp deck rather than the card’s intrinsic value. Regionals and Nats Results have clearly shown that there is a viable Runner deck in every major faction with significant game against Moons decks without sacrificing everything to all other decks. There is a bit of RPS to the meta right now, but I really don’t think Estelle is the culprit.

I suggested AD should go on the MWL16 list. Custom Biotics can play it but can’t play Hasty, so I think we’re okay :stuck_out_tongue:

Estelle is the new Sensie, she enables not just one deck but every other asset spam strategy as well. She absolutely has enough intrinsic value to be considered for MWL.

21 Likes

I think it’s really fairly based on reality. Her numbers are just bonkers, even in a vacuum. She hyper-powers decks (asset spam) of which the consensus is that (even among Boggs as a designer) we want to move a bit away from that sort of play style. Those two together mean MWL material, to me.

4 Likes

This. She makes every other card in your deck more valuable, and to boot compels your opponent to force the trash on her lest the Econ engine get out of control, so the corp gets free tempo and the runner loses tempo at no cost to the corp except to play already-strong cards like AAL, Jackson, and Jeeves. And unlike Sensie, you can protect Estelle with ice, upping the tempo cost even further.

Like Sensie at the beginning, the reason Moon isn’t overwhelming the format may simply be a result of us not coming up with enough broken uses for it just yet. Penguin 7 was a glimpse of how big that iceberg really could be.

3 Likes

So what Tier do we think? I feel like it’s the first Tier 2 card (not a 3 imho, as it doesn’t fundamentally warp the structure of a game, although it can create huge early swings if the runner doesn’t play to, it which might be a criterion, however I don’t think it’s as bad as sensie.).

Three tiers seems more complicated than is necessary. It’ll be 3