Where is the MWL? - As of August 20th, 2018 - MWL 2.2 is here (effective 2018.09.06)

You magnificent bastard. I love you. Don’t ever leave us.

2 Likes

What if there was a card that granted corps credits equal to bad pub during trace attempts?

Sifr Whizzard and Blackmail Val just got needed to 1 inf.
They may be a few turns slower, but I think they are still strong.

There is no spoiler about it yet, but it seems quite logical that they would revise the ‘minimum 1 inf’ rule if this is the MWL to be released. Otherwise their new ‘tier 3 not at all a banlist’ doesn’t quite have the bite it needs to.

Obvious sarcasm aside, I think it’s an elegant solution with a ‘tier 3’. After our discussion in the banlist thread i think hitting Hostile Infrastucture would have been the better choice, but not much i disagree with on that list. BN will still be obviously strong, both with EoI and with 24/7. Would have liked that to get a slight nerf.

However slight negatives aside, they deal with so many identified game-problems with this list that if it comes out like this tomorrow i couldn’t be more supportive!

5 Likes

Tomorrow? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I’m much more pessimistic about the timeline here. Hoping it’s coming before regionals, though. I do agree, the list seems quite nice and will probably fix most of the current perceived problems with the meta. Can’t wait to play some PPVP decks before those rotate out! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hell, we’re coming from the state of having to create our own ban-lists. If this comes out in a month that hardly matters to me. What matters is that FFG is not sitting on their hands, they are taking the game and us seriously =)

I think we have succeeded in many things the last couple of months. I feel like the dialogue has shifted from a state before last fall where it was frowned upon to criticise and debate aspects of game balance, and predominantly met with ‘git gud’ comments or ‘shrug-type’ comments like ‘there will always be a best deck’ to a healthy state where we can not only have open discussion in the community but FFG likely also get a lot of valuable input from us having these discussions, although they may not freely admit it.

Another shift i think we have managed is that the concept of restricted-lists, ban-lists or the current MWL version overall are a lot more accepted. There is no illusion anymore that a game this complex needs some maintenance once in a while. I think FFG has been afraid to upset the part of the playerbase that did not really realize this, or hadn’t thought actively about it, before. This hopefully means that their continued engagement with the community will result in a better dialoge between the game creators and maintainers and the players. And hopefully they will get less crap for the mistakes they will obviously continue to make in the future (because design and balance is hard)

Another positive thing is that we have shown them that we care a lot about the game, and that we will make them care if they do not. They need to realize that the Netrunner playerbase will be loyal if they continue doing good work on the game. This is important for where they place Netrunner in their development priorities when new games comes out.

Also, i can still start using this MWL even thouh it’s not officially out… :wink:

13 Likes

As someone who was regularly playing blackmail Val, losing basically all influence is impactful. Liberated accounts is far easier to setup with a career fair, the economy can really stall out without a temujin or siphon. The economy is way different and, to my eyes, way harder.

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe there could be some really powerful event you could only play if the Corp had any Bad Publicity, giving Runners an equivalent tactic to Tag-n-Bag.

Eh, probably just wishful thinking.

1 Like

Good.

5 Likes

Don’t get me wrong. That’s obviously a good thing.

Just saying those decks are not dead, they just move from (I think) T1.5 + very annoying to T2.0 + very annoying.

I’ll be surprised if Whizzard moved a lot from T1. With Parasifr, he can still be good.

Different, but still good.

This is a change of paradigm: Wyldcake Parasifr Fausting will be a thing, I think.

I’m surprised nobody tried and sticked to it. It is surely less good than Temuwhizz, but I think you can expect to see 1 or 2 whizz like that in a 60 guy tournament. If glacier becomes popular again, they would steamroll those.

Pure destruction Anarch is a working (and funny, runner-side) way of playing those. It is not T1, because some corp decks are degenerated, but it’s a working way.

Better play this quick before rotation.

Ignoring MWL with pure faction (we could name that terrorism), I think NBN can try this too, because of their non-inf Jacksons. There, I don’t think this would really be more than T2 though.

Also, @Calimsha Kate is back, the eco-terrorist version : future is “not” bright, full of poneys and rainbows, for glaciers.
Don’t forget a terro Kate can buy a Sifr for 1 inf, and got green hardware tutors.

I know I’m not a champion, just the random midfield Johnny, but these ideas could be used by great players here.

I don’t think T3 MWL removes the cards. I think the effect is making those superbly faction specific.

T3, really, increases RPS and nerf omnidecks. This is, I think, very nice.

Mars, just before the rotation, will be the paragon of the game deckbuilding, there will not be a better choices of cards in history of ANR.

Johnny time.

Time helped to make each faction handling almost any problem thrown at it, with their in-faction solutions, good or meh, runner-side.

Breaking news: “Meh” can do.

My inner Johnny says this just cost a money that have no impact on w/r, which is fun. Core definition of fun, suspense, unexpected results, chaos, luck, game stealing or name it how you want, I name this “fun”. I’m a thief named Johnny at heart.

Look how Dan worked with the original foodcoat. It’s full of “meh”. But very flexible. This works. This works great.

Flexibility, and clarity, win games in ANR. That’s Calimsha’s Kate too.

For Mars, I see a very bright future for terror (I think I can brag about ONE thing, that is never be 100% or even half wrong about future. Even irl but that’s another story).

Because of the multiplication of angles of attacks in a pure Anarch deck, red terror IS flexible.
Clarity-wise, it’s not its main strength. But it’s stealing games. This won’t be T0.5 like today, but stealing is the core DNA of Anarchs in my opinion. This is nice, in fact.

1 Like

Assuming the spoiled MWL is real, I think Dumblefork still wins some regionals and doesn’t need splashes from outside the faction to make it happen.

I still think what we’ve seen spoiled would create a vastly better meta that what we have now and would clearly weaken some of the decks that are too dominant, opening up new counterplay options and reducing the presence of NPE decks.

But … the ability to have para-sifr, recurring credits to deal with assets/upgrades, Faust + wyldcakes with the ice destruction suite, medium and all the other supporting anarch cards is almost surely still strong enough to be tier 1 without any additional support from the criminal and shaper pool.

I really think FFG needs to be willing to drop the hammer on a not-imbalanced-but-completely-broken-and-game-warping card like sifr with a hard ban, instead of trying to effectively ban the card by doing what they can to make it impractical to use with half measures, without actually saying it’s banned.

We’ll see how it goes though.

1 Like

Hmm. Not to mention it could still include Rumor Mill and crush any RP that thinks it is safe.

Dumble did need Levy in most games, though. You can try substituting it with Tropes, but losing that + Clone Chips or Temujins does make it questionable if you will have the steam to plow through a glacier like “good ol’ days”. I’d wager that it will not feel nearly as oppressive as before.

3 Likes

Well, since we’re all dropping scoops like inept Baskin Robbins workers, when I heard this MWL information it was a good couple weeks before Spoiler Ken on 4chan decided to drop them, and when I heard it there was an additional tag at the bottom.

Supposedly, they’re getting rid of the “you can’t go drop below 1 inf by playing your own faction cards” thing, and replacing it with “dropping below 0 inf by playing your own cards creates an illegal deck.” Mind you, when I heard it it was phrased better than this, but I don’t have it written in front of me. Obviously, this rule is there so that Mono Anarch decks aren’t rolling around with 20+ MWL’d influence worth of deckspace.

Also, I think it’s funny that Spoiler Ken’s “reveal” was what gave these rumors life and credence to some. The dude was obviously just a tester in the SanSan cycle (which is when he spoiled all his cards), so there’s no way he’s going to have up-to-date information on fresh scoops unless he simply came across them second or third-hand like the rest of us. He just decided to post it, and because he was a name people recognized, -BOOM!- it’s real!

4 Likes

The good news is, FFG just published another rules update.

The bad news is, they didn’t mention Netrunner.

The weird news is, they are now using time travel to apply rules changes. (“All tournament regulations from today’s update will go into effect on January 23rd, 2017.”) So maybe when they finish the MWL, they’ll come back and apply it to the last month or so.

13 Likes

To be fair, I could totally understand them wanting to focus on getting the Star Wars rules updates out first, seeing as how their Worlds is in May. Hopefully now that those are out they can get everything else out too.

3 Likes

This is true, but I for one would be much less grumpy about it if they’d just tell us that that’s what the delay is for.

Well, they did say, in regards to this update…
https://twitter.com/FFGOP/status/847548210247856129

2 Likes

True. And I am less grumpy now than before they said that. It would still help if they followed up by saying that they’re working on the MWL next.

Or even that they haven’t forgotten about the MWL, they just have to finish the first L5R tournament rules & approve the next round of kits & finish washing the dishes, and then they’ll get right on it.

2 Likes