Where is the MWL? - As of August 20th, 2018 - MWL 2.2 is here (effective 2018.09.06)

Sure?, You can fire batty after ice, and tracker can’t save you.

If you break all of the ICE subroutines on the server, the subroutine Batty triggers is the first subroutine that would resolve. Then Tracker prevents that subroutine from resolving. So once you have your rig set up, Tracker lets you walk past Batty (or, more accurately, prevents the corp from rezzing Batty in the first place so you can trash him). You could get around this with two Batties in the server, but then you’d need to win both psi games, which is rather hard.

5 Likes

Rather hard, and a perfectly reasonable tactic outside of jinteki if he weren’t 3 inf. Personally, I think netrunner would be better served if some cards came down in influence

Thematically I like to think of consoles as almost a secondary ID ability as they’re so clearly linked to individual runners in flavour text terms. E.g. Noise mills cards and can also swap agendas, Nasir gets creds on ice rez and draws a card when new remotes are created, etc. In the story of the Android universe thats what those runners do I think.

Obviously in gameplay terms few runners actually have synergy with their console. Hayley and Comet work together in flavour terms but are a nonbo when deck building. In fact the only console I can think of that has particular synergy with the corresponding ID ability is Jesminder and Maya.

Jes and Maya are actually a really good piece of design I think. The abilities work really well together but are still playable individually. They compliment without being completely interdependent. The problem is they’re under the power curve because the actually playable consoles don’t synergise with anything - they just do something you always want to do like gain creds or draw cards. The same with Smoke and Mirror or Ken and Doppel. You can see the way they got together but Desperado and Astrolabe are almost always just plain better

4 Likes

L5R uses to have items such as specific swords or armour attach for less/free to the character that owned it. I always liked that for both theme and mechanics.

5 Likes

How much of a discount would you need to play Monolith as the Professor?

14c discount and I’d do it.

Or if he could install it using 4 clicks and 0c.

Looking at the last tournament regulations update, and also the recent X-Wing tournament regulations update, it looks like both of them were set up to come into effect thirteen days after being released.

The first announced Regionals are May 13.

If they want to give us a new MWL before the first Regionals, and if they want to provide the same amount of advance notice, then they need to release the MWL by April 30. Which is a Sunday, so April 28 would probably be better for them.

That doesn’t mean we will definitely get an MWL by then, but if I were FFG, I think that’s likely the deadline I’d be aiming for.

3 Likes

Looks like FFG OP is checking items off their list. Hopefully, we’ll get news soon on a new Netrunner Tournament Regulations.

1 Like

Greetings,
I saw the link and confess to be a little confused. I assume this is not official yet? Because if it is I would search the official documentation.

1. What is the difference between tier 1 and tier 3? According to this statement ''which is like mwl except…" would I be correct in assuming that Sifr would be 4 influence out of faction?
  2. Does Tier 1 have more influence costs? As in, is it similar to the most recent NAPD MWL, except the cards themselves have been updated ( that is instead of the cards then the cards now are effectively under the MWL), or the influence costs are going to go up as well?

Is the Monolith the Professor’s thematic console? How do you know this?

Hey OneFabric:

That document is NOT official yet.

To answer your other questions:

Tier 1 is identical to the the MWL we already had. Any card you include in your deck that is Tier 1 reduces your influence by 1.

Tier 3 is new, and reduces your influence by 3.

Monolith is considered The Professor’s thematic console. I forget if there is any solid confirmation of this in flavor inserts and such, but it is jives pretty well for three reasons:

1. There is a mechanical connection, both The Professor and Monolith care about having lots of programs

2. The Monolith is a room-sized computer, something you would be more likely to have access to through the support of a university.

3. They both came out in Creation and Control.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, appreciate the clarification =)

p.s. - Looks like my thematic alter ego will not rest until the Monolith is included in my Professor Deck.

1 Like

Of course it’s the Professor’s console. It has wild and cool-seeming effects that are very impractical in actual usage.

9 Likes

Maw Street Magic Quetzal Tracker new meta :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am trying not to make a joke about academia in response to this, mostly because I only have a bachelor’s so it feels like it would be mean, but it’s really hard.

4 Likes

The idea that an academic would have 18 credits to spend seems wildly implausible. Q-Coherence Chip is about more the right level.

7 Likes

Maybe it was one of those must-use-budgeted-money-before-it-expires things?

Or maybe Monolith ran the AR teaching lab before some Levy donated new equipment in return for having it renamed after him, and the Professor convinced someone to move it to a disused basement for him.

He clearly doesn’t have eighteen credits to spend very often, as can be seen by the fact that very few Professor decks run Monolith.

1 Like

Maybe he’s got some lucrative grant money rolling in?

Speaking of which, I wonder if instead of having the Professor just ignore the MWL for deck-building purposes, if they could give him some pseudo-influence that he can “spend” on MWL costs. Like, say, give him 10-15 “influence” he can put towards MWL reductions? Probably would be a little bit more future-proofed in case a crazy combo comes out.

1 Like

Thats why I pay taxes!

2 Likes