Where is the MWL? - As of August 20th, 2018 - MWL 2.2 is here (effective 2018.09.06)

Even Exile is sad that Kate is gone.

2 Likes

No one even bother with making a meme of Nasir.Sad.

1 Like

Nasir who? :wink:

He is happy that Kate is gone, because now he is the top money making shaper. He is such a douche. #DontHateKate.

I almost built a “good stuff Shaper” Exile deck the other day, using Magnum Opus as the foundational economy engine and a combination of Test Run + Scavenge + Retrieval Run shenanigans to recur Lady and Femme Fatale while drawing extra cards. Got up to about 43 cards before I realized that being able to draw 9ish extra cards during the game just isn’t that exciting. Anyone have any ideas for capitalizing on Exile when deck building, or how many times the ID would need to fire to reach a critical mass of utility above and beyond other IDs?

Nasir is so far out of left field for me that I literally have no idea where to even start in a post-rotation + MWL 2.0 meta. Without Personal Workshop, how on earth do you build for him?

Such has been the question since Exile was printed =P Now that Pawn shenanigans are over with, he really has nothing worth while (not like Pawn shenanigans were that good in the last couple years anyhow).

3 Likes

For your first question, the easiest programs to install from the heap are the conspiracy breakers. I saw some janky but functional builds using Scheherazade (which has rotated) and Sahasrara (C&C) to install a heap breaker for free on pretty much every run where you encounter ICE, and pick up a draw in the process. Stuff like Cold Read could potentially also fit into such an engine. Getting clone chip influence free might help that setup a little bit, but it’s probably offset by the loss of Scheherazade. Reaver and Wasteland are probably worth looking at if you plan to trash programs so that you can reinstall them from the heap.

As for your second question, the best comparison is probably to Geist. You can more or less omit draw effects from your deck when building Geist, because his ID triggers enough to make up for it, even if you just put in generally-good cards that trash and don’t go full build-around.

With Exile, you can realistically get maybe 10 triggers over the course of a game between heap breakers, clone chip, scavenge (good with lady!) and test run without building a big wacky engine. Unfortunately, those are probably going to be concentrated later in the game (at a minimum, you need to at least get a program in the heap before you can start triggering), which is when draw is less important.

…and if full build-around, by the time you get your engine up, why are you still hurting for draw?

So I think he’s not looking good. It’s not that drawing on heap-install is bad in itself, but it’s probably too limited in when it happens and how much you can capitalize on it to be better than, say, Jesminder Sareen.

11 Likes

Lookit Mr Potato here, giving a reasonable and well structured answer to a question, instead of mindlessly bashing Exile like the thoughtless poster preceding you. Clearly, he has read the incredibly well written and thoughtful article, The Most Consistent Card In Your Deck, brought to you by Stimhack.

11 Likes

Exile + MKUltra + Aesop’s + program discounter like Dhegdheer or Sahasrara =

(or better)

If you were going to run on a sentry or draw anyway.

Anyone in the know about when we might expect updates to the restricted/banned list?

Surely clone chip will come off Restricted seeing as it hasn’t been seen in the wild for ages. If Temujin gets unbanned and just restricted, crim could actually be strong.

please no

1 Like

yeah… Anarchs would dump E. Strike for Temmy (at 2inf), I think, and I don’t want to see that, personally.

I actually wonder if Clone Chip might just get banned or rotated, since Reclaim got spoiled and seems to be a vastly healthier version.

1 Like

From your lips to Boggs’ ears

Banned or restricted don’t make much difference, as Clone Chip is rarely chosen. If it was unrestricted, it surey would see play for safety and insta-install, but there is not so much reusable program to get it out of its ghetto, like Parasite alone was, but also Sharpshooter and Deus X. Add conspiracy breakers and Tapwrm doesn’t feel enough to justify it (neither Faerie).

Now, maybe some new reusable program will call it back on the meta. That’d be nice because I love it, though the addition of Reclaim may put us in a new loop of endless recursion (if such an archetype arise, I suggest to call it Heapoverflow).

1 Like

That’s exactly my concern. As healthy as the meta might be at present, I don’t want it to be the case that the only programs that will ever exist are those that have been sanitized against trivial recursive insta-install.

They’ve been releasing the occasional new fast advance tool, which means Clot is slowly getting more appealing. And unrestricted Clone Chip makes Lady better, which is a boost Shaper probably doesn’t need right now. It also makes it more practical to run single copies of better breakers, especially if you’re already playing SMC, which is another unneeded boost to Shaper.

And it would be good for MaxX, who is already doing quite well according to Know the Meta.

Break & enter Geist could use the help, I guess, but I think the benefit there would be more than offset by the effects on Shaper and MaxX.

1 Like

Unrestricted CC would be automatic 2-3x in every non-Smoke Shaper and MaxX. And a strong consideration for Smoke, Geist and non-MaxX Anarchs. Currently it is not a first choice restricted card for Shaper, but still it is chosen from time to time.

To make CC more playable, I think we need one more decent Exile enabler and some incentive to run link in Shaper, then we might get Exile/link decks using Clone Chip as their restricted card.

2 Likes

Unrestricted CC means even more Tapwrm; please no

4 Likes

I’m still unsure of Temujin on the banned list. I’d try to make it Restricted first and even there, maybe remove it.

Temujin doesn’t have very UBËR math on it. It’s a good card, but not OP when Syphon is oog. Temujin was strong with the Syphon combo. Currently, it’s a 7 click card that ask to finance 5 runs for 16c, 3 of which may be free netting you 0 usefull access.
A card like Stimhack is better imho : 9c, only one run, a usefull acces, then 5 clicks of you doing something else.

I never ever flet oppressed by Temujin. It’s a boardstate variable you have to take into account, but this is not strong enough to ban it imo (compared to your usual and very flexible card+3 clic / SOT-able / 11c diff Syphon, or your endgame card+1 clic 15c diff tagme).

Temujin << Syphon in many ways. They are not playing in the same court.