Where is the MWL? - As of August 20th, 2018 - MWL 2.2 is here (effective 2018.09.06)

coming to fuck some shit up, that’s where.

Though DDoS is probably a good bit less threatening without Deja Vu, and D4v1d’s role in a metagame without Yog.0 and Parasite may be less important than it was when low-strength ICE was very weak.

4 Likes

Ban list: :+1:

Restricted list: :skull::skull::skull:

I think wrapping my head around the new Restricted List is going to take some work, but in practice, I don’t know if it’ll be that bad.

The ban list, once I get used to it, will take no mental energy. Those cards don’t exist any more except for Legacy formats. Easy peasy.

The reserve list, I’ll have a new step in deck building: look at the reserve list and ask myself if I want any of the cards there. That doesn’t sound too bad. It might even mean the assistance of a deckbuilding app less. I could even put all the restricted cards in the same box or binder and then I have a physical reminder not to put Levy and Aesop’s Pawnshop in the same deck.

That said, the last time I built a deck without deckbuilding software like NetrunnerDB I put two Marcus Battys in my Custom Biotics deck.

2 Likes

I’m intrigued, but I’m not going to start catastrophizing (or celebrating) until FFG officially announces a change. I just don’t have the mental energy to get stressed and cautiously optimistic about a major change, brainstorm creative solutions to craft the decks I like to play with the new changes, and playtest decks if I’m not sure it’s actually going to happen that way.

Sounds cool, though. I’m already super excited about Core 2.0 and rotation, so additional changes like this sound really fascinating. I’m more excited about deck building and playing than I have been in months.

3 Likes

I personally hope this is misinformation. The game to me is at its most interesting and healthy when both sides have Econ. Why? Because decisions are the most interesting part of ANR, and the entire appeal of the game. I’ve never minded too much when ‘busted’ Econ cards came out, for either side. I personally think clicks are the interesting economy of the game, not credits. I would a Runner have 20c and decide whether she wants to spend 14 of them in a single run, than have 5c and have all lines except clicking for 4 be off-the-table.

This list neuters Runner economy IMO. I won’t contest that cards like Moose and Temu are ‘busted’ in the traditional sense. They are way above curve and highly efficient; however, they allow the Runner to play the game, as opposed to click for credits. This is a good thing.

My attempts at Criminal and Anarch without Siphon and Parasite have been agonizing; in Anarch, I frequently end games with between 0 and 5c; and that’s after Moose makes over 20c per game. The same happens to Criminal after Moose and Temu money.

I’m worried that if Runner Econ is neutered, so many clicks are going to be spent for single credits on the Runner’s side, which will not make for fun or memorable games. ICE and assets have been scaled up alongside Runner economy, and now without Siphon and Parasite it may have been pretty balanced. If this BR list is true, we may never be able to find out. I’m hoping the list is misinformation, but if not, I think Runner-side will turn into Credit Clicker 1000 overnight, which will burn me out a lot.

7 Likes

First reaction: But Breaking News is gone, why ban Aaron?
Second reaction: Oh hey, that’s a lot of cards that would’ve maybe been fair with Parasite gone that are banned…
Third reaction: Oh good, they did something about Friends. … Wait, and banned CSM? … I guess that also deals with the Load Testing lock, so sure.
Fourth reaction: Oh no. Film Critic + E-Strike? AgInf wins now. You either shut down the ID and get hosed by Obokata, or shut down Obokata and get hosed by the ID.
Fifth reaction: lol, moons ded.
Final reaction: Wait, Gang Sign by itself? … Does Gang Sign Leela even run any of those other cards? heads off to NRDB to check Apparently some of them ran Inversificator… Okay.

Look, I been wrong before, and I’ll probably be wrong again. I’m just Skeptical of most everything. Still, this guy’s been right in the past, so… It’s just weird to ban Aaron.

1 Like

Aaron is fantastic, clickless draw in every deck you put him in, and that’s ignoring the tag removal completely. You no longer need him to break Breaking News, but he’s still amazing against any deck that throws a tag your way, and still firmly stands on the neck of any yellow deck that tries to do so. This dude makes almost an entire faction unplayable, while providing clickless draw within the faction that, traditionally, had almost no draw what-so-ever. I can totally see him going the way of the buffalo.

11 Likes

Part of me wants to commission a piece of art with either Mills or Slee opening up with a flamethrower on Aaron.

2 Likes

All I can remember is how bad it was before Aaron was released… Maybe with all the NBN cards that were hit by rotation and banned… Shrug. When you look at Human First and compare it to Aaron, you can definitely see the Power Creep, though. If banning him is a signal that they’re toning the power back down (seems plausible given other cards banned) then I’m encouraged.

1 Like

I think it’d be better if he was getting shot by a runner like Gabe for working with the MCA.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it is real,but I really like the idea.

People complain about runner econ has been shut down didn’t realize that no matter how indeed more runner economy cards are needed,it doesn’t change the fact that BM and Temujin are simply overpowered card that needs to be addressed,and it is sure as hell that 8th cycle would contain more balanced econ/denial cards to replace Siphon and Temujin.Yes,I agree that runner needs some more econ,but certainly not Temujin and BM.

Also they recognized that all those silver bullets are killing Netrunner,that’s good.Would the game be a Mopus 8 Shaper game VS Non-glacier corps?I don’t know,though I serious doubt it,since any deck picks Mopus can’t pick any useful silver bullets according to this list.

Again I really don’t know if there is a real Ban/Restrict list,but an active experiment like this is what Netrunner needs right now.Fast response to problematic cards (Vanadis),willing to produce a massive meta impact,hell,even if it does mean that I need to play Mopus 8 for couple of months,I’ll take it,it’s the price I would like to pay for FFG to be improved like this.

3 Likes

That would point more to Temujin being banned with the 8th cycle release, and put on Restricted in the meantime… That’s one of the reasons this list looks weird. The only reason it’s getting play is the source is reliable.

(Rumor Mill is similarly odd. It hits… Ash, Batty, Sandburg, Jeeves, and a whole bunch of things Restricted or Rotated.)

1 Like

To be fair, you just named about every reasonable non-operational corp scoring tool =P Doesn’t matter how few it is, Rumor Mill is still too broad an instrument.

6 Likes

ye, I agree it invalidates too much yellow ICE, so that’s why it had to go. [quote=“EmptyWorld, post:554, topic:8704”]

Temujin.Yes,I agree that runner needs some more econ,but certainly not Temujin and BM.
[/quote]

I completely agree on this. Also , we need to change the way we played. Busted economy allows for a lower efficiency play style, sort of you run because anyway you have/get credits to do whatever you want to do next. The only faction that in my opinion goes well with that play style is anarchs, which got to hold on to they liberated accounts. Criminals should do more surgical strikes IMHO, whereas shapers do their shaper bullshit with ultra efficient runs after a reasonably long setup.

perhaps it invalidates too many cards that have not been released yet. Either way I am not too bothered by this now that caprice is gone. You still get to use PolOp/Drive-by for annoying assets/upgrades, which are way more interactive.

1 Like

Having run a few games, I think if you’re careful there’s probably still enough econ for Criminals, and definitely enough for aggressive Anarch decks. If this is true (and I’m more than a little dubious that it will be as spoiled) then I think the key will be smart use of the efficient answers that are in the game like shutdown, en-passant, and sneakdoor. Even if HB glacier is back, de-rez Los may have sufficient game against it, I just don’t know if it can survive the fork with rush decks. Anyway, list or no it’s early to be guessing the meta accurately.

4 Likes

I’d personally like to see Frank and D from Private Security Force beat the crap out of him, then get stun-prodded by Chief Slee, then set aflame by Elizabeth Mills. Because frag Aaron.

1 Like

He’s hiding in underway during the renovation I think

Just saying, Slee could manage all that by herself, while thinking of something to do with the other hand.

1 Like

After sleeping on it, I realized the key reason why Aaron being on there is weird:

Aaron is a Tag Prevention card with secondary Draw upside.

He’s not a Draw Engine (like Wyldside, say).

He’s essentially a Sports Hopper. Extremely useful in one matchup, and kinda useful in others. I know I stopped importing Aaron into my other decks as soon as Breaking News was given the boot. Inside Criminal, while he’s still good, they have other Draw Engines that are better, and I personally wouldn’t mind seeing Criminal being the faction that’s good at shaking tags. (Crash Space, On the Lam)

He’s very good against Yellow decks. … So he’s a good card to have in the pool to be a meta call if you feel your deck has trouble with Yellow and Yellow will be heavy in attendance. Just like Feedback Filter is great against Jinteki 1000 cuts decks. (And honestly I think Film Critic is primarily pointed at Jinteki with Argus getting in the blast radius…)

Anyway. It’s just… Odd, is all. You can justify his inclusion with how extremely well he performs against Yellow and Argus. It’s just a bit odd that a card that’s only good in those circumstances is banned. As you pointed out with Rumor Mill, that card is good against every non-Operation way of scoring Agendas, so it makes sense for it to be banned.

It’s not quite that. Filter requires 3 money for 1 net dmg. So you use your credit resources to protect yourself. While Aaron complitely invalidate tags and provide clickless draw. You are not losing anything, in fact you are gaining resources (cards, clicks).
And filter useless in many matchups, while Aaron can be usable in almost any. So it’s more easier desicion to include him in your deck.

4 Likes