Where is the MWL? - As of August 20th, 2018 - MWL 2.2 is here (effective 2018.09.06)

Indeed, in many decks I’m including several cards that probably aren’t all that worth the influence they use just because I have that influence.

I hear that. In the Smoke thread, we had like 10 posts going over how I could use my last 2 influence. The shit feels like a luxury again. These days, there’s so much that you can just get in faction, that going outside for things feels like a child in a candy store, picking up goodies.

This actually brings me to the money thing as well. I’ve been importing Liberated Accounts into Criminal a little, and I haven’t hated it. It’s not the world’s best econ card, but since I’m almost always playing Career Fair anyhow, it seems fine. I dislike making my entire econ package run reliant, and being forced to use things like Bank Job and Sec Testing, then being boned once they ICE all their servers sufficiently. TemCon had a similar “problem,” but you still got accesses, and the amount of money it paid out was sufficiently redonkulous to still be great. Lib gives me the ability to get some cash in a way that doesn’t rely on me passing ICE.

In both Shaper and Crim, I’ve been messing around with Tapwrm and Sac Cons. In my Smoke deck, I run this in conjunction with Peace In Our Time, which just makes Tapwrm better (and also boosts Beth). It provides some great clickless cash, and if the corp wants to spend multiple turns to purge it off the board, that’s probably not the worst thing in the world.

Tricks to get past ICE have gotten a little better now as well, I think, as well as things that can destroy ICE. Since econ is lower, killing problem ICE with Cutlery, rather than pay through it, is a form of econ, in a way. In my Los deck, I run En Passant in order to kill the ICE I’ve shut down (or that they’ve let me pass because they’ve given up on giving me money for rezzing it over and over). Inside Job is still super good, as is Femme. Heck, one of the reasons I built my Smoke deck was because you really only need money for the setup; you spend very few credits while actually breaker servers due to stealth credits and Lady counters. That’s a similar reason why Geist is good right now as well. His trashable breakers break for free, install for a pittance, and (with tech traders) literally pay you to use them. Once he has tech traders out, his entire deck just trashes for a profit of cards and cash.

1 Like

@Saan - I saw someone using Femme in an Anarch deck last night on Jinteki and it made me so happy! It hasn’t been used in so long, so it’s refreshing to see it again.

I have mixed feelings about Tapwrm and Peace just because it doesn’t fit my style, but maybe I shouldn’t complain and just try it. I just want economy that’s a little more stable.

I thought about pulling in ProCon again and testing that in conjunction with some other drip economy. That might offer the stability I want without relying on MOpus.

I thought about trying Public Terminal, the pseudo-PPVP option with Dirty Laundry and some other run events. Maybe if I have the extra influence I will try High-Stakes Job or something. Symmetrical Visage could help a bit too.

Just need to play around with some stuff and see what works! Which is actually really exciting for me!

What’s funny is that there are a whole lot of econ options out there, but Temujin is so spectacular we’ve been using it to the point it is almost a crutch.

All of the things you mentioned are good cards that used to be played.

6 Likes

I’m not sure they’re understaffed so much as under-relevant. 1) They have demonstrated shallow knowledge of all FFG games but deep knowledge in none, and must continually defer to the LCG team in this respect. 2) They have no power to make product-related announcements, yet all their communication must still be “on-message,” so probably defer to the marketing team all the time as well.

One thing I’ve observed in the corporate world is that teams who sense they’re declining in relevance and likely to be restructured in a way that brings their function closer to the product team or the customer service team (or split among both) often become obstructive and bureaucratic as a means of exerting what little control they have over a situation that is rapidly slipping out of their grasp. “We’re busy now, Michael. We can schedule an announcement for your ‘Android Netrunner’ next month but not sooner.”

So what is OP exactly? A party planning unit largely running on autopilot?

I’m really glad that it’s gone-- I hadn’t realized how much it had stunted my deckbuilding, and it’s cool to look at new econ engines and pull out old standbys. Plus, taxing the runner feels a lot more relevant.

3 Likes

neat: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/9/27/arrest-warrants-issued/

8 Likes

tl;dr
spoiler_ken list is legit. All your c2rb testing is accurate to the new meta.

1 Like

So with the core set meaning you have to buy multiple copies and have redundant cards, and this meaning that the cards you pay for aren’t guaranteed to be legal, and packs having filler cards that are clearly below power level, how many of the perks of the lcg model are really alive, apart from the core non-random distribution one (which hasn’t really been too much cheaper than ccgs for a lot of people, and just put that money more dircetly in the hands of ffg instead of resellers in the community)?

I feel you, but I think the LCG is still the better model for me and for a lot of people. Interacting with some kind of secondary market for a card game gives me the creeps, and as a comparatively old dude who doesn’t really play any games other than Netrunner, I have a very limited interest in going any further in this direction. Once a month or so I walk over to my FLGS, buy the new Netrunner pack and go through the cards over a pint. It’s predictable and suits my life well.

19 Likes

My own experiences echo these. It certainly is the case that in a perfect world I would rather that the core is stable… but I also wouldn’t want to live in a world where any card is beyond reproach. A healthy competitive game needs to allow space to remove problematic cards and restrict combos that are degenerate.

I want a healthy netrunner more than I care about sacred cows. I want a game that has longevity more than I care about the selling points of a format. I would rather what an LCG is “evolve” into something that is sustainable and doesn’t require a reboot every 4 or 5 years.

I hope Netrunner is the flagship for that at FFG. Mistakes will be made, but it seems there is an honest effort to correct fundamental problems with the game.

11 Likes

Well put! This change shows they’re taking shit seriously.

Core 1 and core 2 are a bit more than 5 years apart. I’d say this is reasonably stable :slight_smile:

1 Like

The main perk of the LCG model, for me, is that I can continually maintain a collection that contains a full playset of every legal card for a frequently-changing game I enjoy at a cost that is not unreasonable. Obviously any cost will be out of some people’s budgets, but it’s cheaper than, say, bowling or golf or competitive Magic.

None of these changes diminishes that perk at all. In fact, if they improve the meta, then they’ll improve the “game I enjoy” part of that perk.

4 Likes

When a card gets banned you’ve paid, I don’t know like, a quid for a full play set. And then - when the card that was shit becomes good because of the power vacuum… ¡you already own it!

Look at the recent mtg mess up. They published an update to their ban list - it doesn’t contain a crucial card - people go out and buy that card as a single for muchos ponterios - a couple of days later it gets banned and it is now worth diddly.

Now. I went and did maths on the cost of putting together the 1st and 2nd lists from world’s 2016 and it was certainly as high as magic. So I would say that under normal circumstances there is no cost difference - it is under extraordinary circumstances, such as bannings, that the lcg model proves more kind to the end punter.

3 Likes

Something I wonder is if a ID will ever make it onto the Restricted list.

4 Likes

Each member of The Collective is on the Restricted list

4 Likes

Noise probably would have been banned if it didn’t rotate but I could see an id getting restricted

But as long as the new core comprises cards that have already been released that’s not a big problem either, is it? I’d be bothered too if every 5 years I had to buy 3x new core sets.

I think the ban list is fine but the restricted list is a mistake. I think it is far to blunt. The cards in the restricted list are basically banned in the current form.

I would rather want a complementary mwl list or a more group based one (i.e SMC, clone chip and levy in one group, can only have one set in a deck).

Many of those cards haven’t been seen as problematic before, why now? Has for example Aesop’s ever been a problem outside noise?

1 Like