Why Not Notoriety?

Hi there. This is my first post on Stimhack so I thought I’d give a brief introduction. I’ve been playing Netrunner since the core set came out and I have a background in Magic and more recently board games. I do not play a lot in tournaments but I’ve played in a handful of GNKs and Store Championships with no notable results. I do watch a LOT of Netrunner, pretty much every video that comes out, I watch streams, I read Stimhack and the subreddit, and it’s mainly do to time constraints that I am not more active in the game. So, take my analysis with that in mind.

That said, why not notoriety? I will say that when this card came out I had an instant fondness for it. From the art depicting Smoke, to just the ability to score without sniping an agenda. Suddenly the central-only breaker suite was looking great and my pipe dreams of gaining notoriety began.

Unfortunately my Netrunner mind wasn’t as developed as it is now, and I feel I’m much more apt to analyze and use the card to better effect. Allow me to make a case for why there are many reasons that this card could be good in the current meta.

Global Food Initiative is ubiquitous now and forces the runner to score 4 agendas while the corp only has to score 3. Notoriety circumvents this new requirement by allowing you to score 3 and then make central runs to score your last point. The beauty of this strategy in the current meta is that glacier is very popular and there are many game states where you can get to 6 points but you just can’t crack that super server for the win. In addition, current glacier builds mostly dedicate resources to remotes, giving you a soft set of centrals to break through.

Until recently, I’ve regarded Notoriety as mainly a one-of for that last minute point to win the game. In a heavy-draw deck it’s pretty easy to find. Also, I never thought you would have the ability to score 3 Notorieties in a game because it was just too slow. Enter Hyperdriver. This card now unlocks the potential to score 3 Notorieties in one turn! The card now costs anywhere from 4-12 credits and reads: Spend 4 clicks for a 1 point. You may play additional copies of Notoriety spending a click and a credit." Or something more eloquent. Either way, this has potential. Scoring 3 points in a turn without having to steal an agenda is worth looking at. And it falls right in line with the “typical Shaper bullshit” that we’ve all come to know and love (or hate).

The fact that it’s one influence, and a low 1 credit is where the card really shines. How many times have you had an extra influence to spare and just shrugged and said, “I’ll throw in a Utopia Shard I guess.” And how many times have you been in a 6-5 game state with the corp sitting on a super server with an agenda in it.

Again, I’m not a “top-tier player,” mainly because I have other priorities. And I’m not knocking anyone who is. I’d love to dedicate more time to the game. I really love this game. But I felt that I would be doing the community a disservice if I didn’t at least shed some light on the potential of this card that I feel is underplayed, especially in the 1-of scenario.

Putting in this edit for reference to my second post:

“Yeah, I forgot to mention Crisium Grid in my analysis. My reasoning with this is that most decks have to play around Crisium anyway so you’re going to have to fight the same as any other deck in that regard. This also is akin to the “dies to doomblade” mentality. Crisium Grid slows down a lot of cards (Account Siphon, The Maker’s Eye), but it doesn’t mean people don’t still play those cards. The one-of scenario I think is more plausible and arguably more useful. You’re right that the 3-of scenario tends to be more build-around.”

Thanks for reading guys.

7 Likes

Funny you should mention. There’s a deck that does that very thing.
See Deck Here
It’s not that it isn’t powerful (only needing to steal 4 points from the corp is powerful). It’s that a) it’s a one trick pony, and if your opponent knows / can beat your trick (caprice or crisium grid for example) you’re a little screwed b) a deck that can’t pressure while setting up there giant combo is at a major disadvantage.

I’ve always thought that the best use of notoriety would be to push the game state into one that’s unpalatable for the corp. For example: Against a glacier deck, a corp will be happy to throw an agenda into their scoring server, even if they can’t score it, knowing that to steal it would bankrupt the runner but not win them the game (i.e. the runner’s at 3-4 points). A well timed notoriety could remove that play. But the issue is deck space.

Maybe if we had a runner that had a 55 card minimum and gained a bonus for doing the same action three clicks in a row…

6 Likes

Yeah, I forgot to mention Crisium Grid in my analysis. My reasoning with this is that most decks have to play around Crisium anyway so you’re going to have to fight the same as any other deck in that regard. This also is akin to the “dies to doomblade” mentality. Crisium Grid slows down a lot of cards (Account Siphon, The Maker’s Eye), but it doesn’t mean people don’t still play those cards. The one-of scenario I think is more plausible and arguably more useful. You’re right that the 3-of scenario tends to be more build-around.

this is true, though the doomblade analogy isn’t perfect. not everything dies to crisium grid; non-event based multiaccess typically aren’t even worth rezzing crisium against, heavy remote pressure goes unaffected by crisium… even account siphon can trash one then turn around and siphon next click.

against notoriety, though, crisium become the canary in the coal mine. you trashing crisium a full turn ahead of time it the warning bell telling the corp “next turn they’re hitting centrals with something nasty.”

TLDR, it’s fun, particularly in the deck @erinrockabitch linked (which by the way, is a way better deck than it has any right to be :D) but it’s not getting slotted into a deck that isn’t a huge 40-45 card gimmick built around it…

1 Like

I literally hate all of you that complained about the Collective being overpowered. I hope every one of you is forced to play Laramy Fisk forever when you go to hell.

I kid, I kid. I placed fairly high (5th or 6th) in the Plugged In tour forever ago with a Andromeda deck where the gameplan was use All Nighter and Doppleganger to score 3 Notoriety. It didn’t drop a game on the day. In this day and age, its probably a good 1-of (@Cerberus had one in one of his Endless Waltz variants) to give Crim a late game win con. Its been a pet card of mine sense about 2 years ago, and I can be the firs to tell you, ITS NOT GOOD IN KEN TENMA, NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT SEEMS LIKE IT SHOULD!!!

8 Likes

I think Notoriety definitely has value in a meta where Foodcoats (and GFI in general) is popular.

It seems like a point against Noteriety would be that you have to have 4 clicks available on the turn you want to score it, and you use those four clicks to get just 1 point. You also need enough money to run through 3 servers (although Archives might be undefended in the early-mid game), so as the game goes on, you need more and more money and breakers to make this happen. Also, Crisium Grid and something like a Caprice on a central makes you really, really sad, but I guess at that point you just play a normal game of Netrunner and score the Corp’s points instead of your own.

A point for it, though, is that if you have enough money and breakers to score it, it’s a guaranteed point, which is more than a lot of central runs gets you, and that last point is really important these days. Getting it early can help the game a lot, and since you’re making actual runs in order to score the Notoriety, there’s always the chance that you’ll pick up real points along the way.

1 Like

I recently added a single Quest Complete in my Anarch Deck. Mostly as a counter against those Ash Caprice remotes.

The big problem is that if the corp identifies a scoring window , it will most likely be that you won’t run all centrals.
So you need all the money at the end of your turn to be able to run all the centrals.

Crisium is suprisingly not that much of a problem. Run the Crisium server first. The corp most likely isn’t going to rez a Crisium on a turn where you are going for a single acces. And then you trash it. Single acces HQ or R&D isn’t going to be a big telegraph of your intentions. Its only when you start running archives for no cards that people start questioning your motives.

Caprice on a central is less likely, especially when they are trying to score out of a caprice ash server.

All in all , both Quest Complete and Notoriety are good tech cards in the current GFI meta.

5 Likes

Thanks, this is definitely worth mentioning.

1 Like

I can attest to this! :smiley:

1 Like

Because Apocalypse.

1 Like

Because influence. Not everybody has 3 flex influence in their runner for a one off.

QC for Anarch and Notoriety for shaper don’t eat up influence. And don’t destroy your board state.

yeah, asu usualy it’s not super clear what @anon34370798 is driving at, but what jumped to my mind is that the presence of apocalypse means that

[quote=“magaruis, post:8, topic:6332”]
The corp most likely isn’t going to rez a Crisium on a turn where you are going for a single acces.
[/quote] is less and less likely to work against savvy corps; especially if you popped a hyperdriver this turn :smiley:

Shaper doesn’t have a full slot for Notoriety, and is the faction that should care the less of their boardstate (recursivity solutions), with Anarchs (AIs).
Both factions gets a cards to throw what they have installed.

I’m not sure Notoriety’s benefits are very close to Apocalypse’s + Apoc’s flaws.

@coyotemoon722 isn’t implying its a core milestone of the deck strategy like the bagbiter game day deck or choosing to spend 3+ inf on Apoc. Instead you slot just one (like Escher) into any deck and use it if it’s convenient or match point.

I’ll be slotting it into my CT Comet deck this week for a try. Just one. OPs points are pretty valid.

1 Like

The problem with Notoriety is just a timing thing. Points are nice, but in my opinion, for a Shaper, denying points to the corp is more important than grabbing points for yourself. And sure, you might be able to get it as your 7th point in a Foodcoats world when the corp does a last turn IAA, but I’ve found that at that point R&D is enough of a struggle that it’s already hard to get into it on it’s own, even when you have the full turn to prep. Running it first click, then hitting HQ, then hitting archives for the Noteriety point may be a “guaranteed point” but only if you can guarantee being able to hit all three. Which is kinda a stretch, particularly at clutch moments.

1 Like

As endgame Shaper, a Notoriety Run may be preferable to using the same resources for two R&D digs. I say two, as it’s unlikely Archives or even HQ will be as protected as R&D vs most Shapers. As you really ought to have been hitting Centrals, it’s also likely you understand the ICE state, making it a simple calculation.

When you sit on a fat stack of credits, the Corp knows they’ll need to rely on Ash or Caprice type defenses in combination with the ICE Tower to reject you, and you may not be able to take that gamble.

Hyper-Notoriety is a lot more reliable for multi-Notoriety than All Nighters. Not to mention having greater utility if you just need clicks or need to pound bioroids.

3 Likes

Let’s be fair here, if the Collective was in the game Rebirth would never have happened.

2 Likes

Ugh, notoriety would be an easy include in that deck, like blackmail is an easy include in val. 55 cards is a lot though, definitely right about rebirth. But would it be sooooooo broken?

I heard Notorious B.A.G. is a legit deck.

7 Likes