Winning Decklists: Crossroad Games, Standish Store Championships 2014

Originally published at: Winning Decklists: Crossroad Games, Standish Store Championships 2014 - StimHack

All new tournament winning decklists will now be hitting the forums for discussion. Think these decks are strong, bad, makes weird choices, defines a new archetype? Let us know what you think.

Crossroad Games, Standish Store Championships 2014

Return of the Noise (46 cards)
Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire

Noise
Events (9)
2 Deja Vu
3 Easy Mark • • •
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (7)
2 Clone Chip •• ••
3 Grimoire
2 Plascrete Carapace

Resources (7)
1 Aesop’s Pawnshop ••
3 Kati Jones
3 Wyldside

Icebreakers (6)
1 Corroder
2 Crypsis
2 Mimic
1 Yog.0

Programs (17)
3 Datasucker
3 Djinn
3 Imp
2 Keyhole
3 Parasite
3 Sahasrara •• •• ••

Boring Old HB FA (49 cards)
Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future

HB
Agendas (11)
3 Accelerated Beta Test
3 Efficiency Committee
2 Gila Hands Arcology
3 Project Vitruvius

Assets (8)
3 Adonis Campaign
3 Jackson Howard • • •
2 Melange Mining Corp

Upgrades (3)
3 SanSan City Grid ••• ••• •••

Operations (8)
3 Biotic Labor
2 Green Level Clearance
3 Hedge Fund

Barriers (8)
1 Eli 1.0
2 Heimdall 1.0
3 Ice Wall • • •
2 Wall of Static

Code Gates (4)
2 Enigma
1 Viktor 2.0
1 Viper

Sentries (7)
2 Ichi 1.0
3 Rototurret
2 Sherlock 1.0

OMG Sherlock :D! That ain’t boring!

I love the modern take on RaRa Noise. Been tempted to rebuild that with Keyhole myself. Jackson Howard remains too prevalent in my local meta, though.

Nice to see some store championship results, looking forward to seeing the different decks pop up.

As for the HB deck…
Not sure how I feel about Sherlock, as it will need to win the trace even if it doesn’t go off and can still be clicked past. I would be interested in the builder’s comments of choosing it over Ichi 2.0.

I really don’t like the fact there is only 1 Eli 1.0, but I feel like that’s a playstyle difference maybe, seems like the deck builder prefers being able to defend a remote for an agenda or melange sometimes. Still can’t imagine not playing 3 eli 1.0 in an HB deck right now.

The Noise deck is really sweet, I love playing Noise, and had success with it from before Opening Moves, so I imagine I will test this deck list out.

I played in this tournament and against these decks. I won against the Noise deck, but that was only because he lost his only Yog to a Shock!. I lost against the HB FA because my deck’s only killer was Garrote and it was too hard to get out against 2 Ichi 1.0.

Not a fan of that Noise deck. Easy Mark over Daily Casts? No Medium or Nerve Agent?

These are my decks.

I don’t understand the hate for Sherlock. It is such a potent card. People always say that it sucks because you can click through it. I think of that as a strength. Making the Runner waste half their turn every time they run Sherlock is extremely powerful. That is 2 CLICKS that they aren’t using to gain money, draw cards, or make further runs. If the Runner ends up bumping key programs from the subroutines that is a major tempo loss for the runner giving my fast advance deck time to punish the Runner.

The lack of Eli in this deck is that I wanted hard ETR ICE that would pair nicely with Ichi and Sherlock.

The Noise deck is boss. The deck just brutalizes the Corporation on all fronts.

The original iteration of this decklist had Daily Casts instead of Easy Marks and it constantly had money issues. As soon as the Easy Marks were added all of the money issues vanished.

@Zebadiah You killed Jeremy’s Yog with Shock! The game you won against me was from a SEA Source + 2x Scorch with 2x Cleaners for 12 meat damage.

@Kingsley Don’t knock it til you try it. This deck is Tier 1.

1 Like

Sorry, but it’s a weakness. In general cards that give your opponent choices are bad because one can assume that a skilled opponent will choose whatever benefits them more. For instance, take the card Browbeat:

This card either does 5 damage or lets you draw three cards for 2R! Sounds great, right? Unfortunately not-- the fact that your opponent chooses which effect occurs actually makes this card quite mediocre, because against a skilled opponent it doesn’t do what you want. Bioroid ICE has a similar weakness.

Actually, I say it sucks because it costs more than Ichi, which actually destroys the opponent’s programs for real, AND Sherlock has traces instead of normal subs, AND Sherlock only has 2 subs instead of 3, AND the difference between strength 4 and strength 5 is marginal at best.

In almost all cases where people run Sherlock, they should just run more copies of Ichi instead.

If Daily Casts doesn’t work, I’d try Dirty Laundry (though IME Daily Casts does in fact work extremely well for Noise)-- spending 3 influence on a marginally good card in a deck that’s hungry for influence is not IMO a strong move.

I’m not trying to diminish your accomplishment-- winning a tournament is definitely cool and good-- but I really wouldn’t recommend that most people try to follow your example when it comes to these decks.

1 Like

as anarch, servers are rarely free past the first 2-3 turns, at that point i’d rather have easy mark. also going to 0 is a thing that happens from time to time as anarch.

sherlock would have to be central server only, but i can see it being better against shaper than ichi is. they probably have a clone chip installed, but it can’t be recovered this way. also nobody runs ninja anymore, so the strength difference is an extra datasucker token/2 bucks from femme, which isn’t bad. My main issue with it is the trace

???

Spending 3+subs for every sentry is actually a pretty good way to run out of money, most criminals run mimic, femme and fairie with the exception of big rig andy builds, most shapers use mimic/femme + either fairie or large atmans depending on the deck, and most anarchs run mimic + knight.

Big rig andy is the only deck that runs ninja, and even then i haven’t seen one since mala tempora came out.

really common sentries like shadow, caduceus and neural katana make it pretty bad

I, uh, I run Ninja.

It sounds like you have never actually played with Sherlock. This is not Magic. The choices we make in Netrunner cannot directly correlate. You seem to think that making the Runner lose two CLICKS is insignificant. Stop assessing Sherlock in a vacuum. In case you missed the decklist, this is a fast advance deck. If the Runner uses two CLICKS to break Sherlock that is half their turn wasted dealing with one single ICE. If the Runner lets the subroutines trigger than they are getting two key programs bounced to the top of their deck that they will have to redraw and reinstall. Either way they are taking a tempo hit. If the Runner wants to use credits to break Sherlock that is even better. Sherlock taxes the Runner. Plain and simple.

Destroying programs is not always the best answer especially against Shaper. Also, putting cards back on top of their Stack means that the Runner is not drawing into new cards like Account Siphon. I rarely see Runners using link so having a 4 strength trace is nothing to scoff at. The difference between 4 and 5 means that the Runner has to spend 2 Datasucker tokens as opposed to 1.

Clearly I am not going to be able to change your mind because you have never even tried using the card.

I never said Daily Cast was bad in Noise. I said during play testing with this specific version of Noise I had money problems while using Daily Casts.

Its harder to guarantee a successful run with this Noise deck so Dirty Laundry really isn’t a good option.

That is exactly what you are doing and you are being condescending and rude.

There is no perfect answer in Netrunner. People are allowed to have differing opinions. You are not always right. Good day.

+1 for no one runs Ninja anymore argument.

I rarely see Ninja in any decklist nowadays and I have not seen it in my local meta for over half a year.

Noise is back!

I’ve played with this deck and have to say that it is seriously hard hitting. Keyhole is such an amazing card and it’s home is in Noise. Jackson can’t withstand the mill that happens in this deck. Now the only thing it needs is Hemorrhage from Fear and Loathing!

People who don’t run Ninja confuse me. High-strength Sentries are where it’s at ™ for a bunch of deck archetypes popular in my meta :).

It was money at Worlds, and I have no reason to suspect it wouldn’t still be useful now. Absolute money.

1 Like

I’m not saying Ninja isn’t good. I just never see it nowadays.

1 Like

I have played with Sherlock. My verdict was that it was much more cute than good and that Ichi is better in almost every deck. I do not see compelling reasons to change my views here.

There is a saying, “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.” Sherlock is considered very bad by most good players and card evaluators. In order to convince me that Sherlock is good, you’d have to provide much more convincing arguments.

I’m not trying to be condescending, but this is a site for competitive play.

You were just condescending in the same sentence where you state that you are not trying to be condescending. That is the pure definition of oxymoronic. Well done. I’m done with this argument and your self-righteous, I’m better than you attitude. Your intolerance to other people’s opinions is irritating.

I’m sorry if I’ve done anything to insult you. That said, I’d like it if you would address my points instead my personality. If you have strong reasons that Sherlock is good, I’d love to hear them-- but “you haven’t tried it” is both false and not a real argument.

When the Runner has Clone Chips, in almost all cases it is better to lose a program to Ichi than to Sherlock. Using the clicks to draw the card and get up over maximum hand size in order to discard it is a more serious tempo hit than having it go straight to the heap.

Runners will make mistakes, if the Runner has a choice and choosing badly has a huge benefit to the Corp, that’s awesome. If the Runner choosing “correctly” is comparable to a no choice card, why not create the opportunity for them to slip up?

You are correct in saying most players should use Ichi instead of Sherlock, but x2 Ichi x2 Sherlock sounds like a useful mix in a Shaper heavy meta and x3 Ichi, x2 Sherlock would create a very intimidating early game for almost any Runner.