Announcing the First Annual Stimhack Store Champions Invitational!

Reminds me of how horrible Gencon was last year.

1 Like

We knew, but no one called the FFG Police to apprehened the TOs.
We played 5 rounds of swiss in 13 and 15 players tournament and 4 rounds and top 4 with 9 players. The last one ended much later than the first two.

2 Likes

it violated FFGā€™s guidelines, but I was super happy the SC i went to over the weekend did a 4-round, top-4 cut for the 17 attendees, arguing that we barely exceeded the 8-16 player limit. those of us who drove 2 hours to make the event actually got home at a not-too-unreasonable time ā€“ especially since they decided to start the tournament at 2PM (!).

2 Likes

Oh, wait. FFG is saying it should be Top 8 with over 16?!?

1 Like

yerp. 10chars

Yep. Thatā€™s how we rolled at ours, last sunday. 20 people, 5 rounds, cut to top 8. Started at 10am, ended around 10pm. Fucking insane.

3 Likes

Man, people have to use some judgment. We only used T4.

1 Like

Yup, with 17 people at our most recent SC, consensus was 4 rounds of swiss cut to top 4 and it seemed to work just fineā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, weā€™ve also been doing the BO3 format after the cut for most of the WI SCs. I really like it. And cutting to anything but top four in a SC is ridiculous (unless thereā€™s say 32+ players).

1 Like

I played an SC where it was cut to 8 (21 players), but to speed it up the cut was run under the old rules (Full match single elim), which shaves 2 games off (so 60 - 80 minutes) I think.

I was at a SC about a month ago or so that was at either 22 players, and we only did 5 rounds of swiss with no cut. 2 weeks later I was at one with 20 people that cut to top 8 (double elim) after the 5 swiss rounds. I found it strange that both of them offered a bye as the top prize when one was so much longer/harder than the other. I can understand not wanting to play 10 hours of Netrunner, but it seems like the prize pool should reflect the differences. I guess that would be easier if there was a better prize pool than just the plaque and bye at the top seat.

1 Like

I donā€™t think a tournament gets ā€˜harderā€™ unless there are more people. If youā€™re actually good, it gets easier with a cut because variance goes down. I think all the store champs should have a cut.

Also, I wish all the stores would just follow the rules.

3 Likes

I suppose it seems a bit harder for me because Iā€™m not as used to playing so many games in a row, and fatigue starts eroding my decision making (although I do enjoy the cut more; itā€™s more exciting). If I were a better player, I could see sharing your point of view, though.

Problem is theyā€™re not rules, but guidelines. I donā€™t mind playing ten hours of netrunner on a tournament day, but most people(here anyway) lose focus after 4-5 rounds of swiss, get bored, and just want to go home.

I agree on the games not getting harder with a cut, but you can forget that lovely steak your SO was going to make you for dinner, because that thing is cold when you get home

2 Likes

I wish FFG would follow its own rules, with top 32 at Worlds.

16 Likes

3 events. 3 times lost last game. Every time winning that game would have earned me the bye (twice the tournaments were Swiss only and winning last game would win me the event, once it was in top 4 cut where both guys who won first elimination game already had the bye so the game between me and the other loser decided who gets the bye).

[quote=ā€œmediohxcore, post:74, topic:3139ā€]
Also, I wish all the stores would just follow the rules.
[/quote]I wish FFG announced their rules early enough. When I read about the format they want the SC I TOd was long announced so the format was already set.

Is the area for ā€œStoreā€ for where we were given the Bye Card?

Yes, put there store where you got the bye. Donā€™t put another store because someone else got the bye at that store since you already had one, even if you got 1st there. If anyone put the wrong one just let me know or resubmit and Iā€™ll delete the earlier entry. That goes for any correction anyone wants to make.

Love the idea guys, well done! Minor note though; one of the Store Champs here in Western Australia isnā€™t until 25 April :confused: I suspect thatā€™s isolated though, the other one here is on 29 March. Though Iā€™d mention it just in case there are other Store Champs elsewhere after the Invitational.

Stores were supposed to complete the Store Championship tournaments before the end of March, per FFG. Sounds like an outlier.

2 Likes