I need a dollar... a 419 Thread

While everyone’s feeling “blue about blue” I’m trying to look positively at the Criminal’s first draft pick of the 2018 season! In the past 2 or 3 months I’ve tried to lead a revival of Netrunner in my metro area and we started on what has since been dubbed the Modded format and then jumped quickly into Cache Refresh where I really started liking Criminal and in particular Silhouette. I think “expose” effects are something that have been really ignored in card creation for this game and its something I’ve noticed really messes with how the Corp operates, especially when it costs them a credit.

How to Make 419 Effective:

• Keep the Corp poor

• Be able to punish the Corp with your insider knowledge

• And, most obviously, make use of cards that make use of expose “Aumakua” and “Zamba”

The prevailing archetype seems to be lists like this:

Crim Deck

419: Amoral Scammer (The Devil and the Dragon)

Event (23)

Hardware (2)

Resource (15)

Icebreaker (5)

15 influence spent (max 15, available 0)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to The Devil and the Dragon

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I don’t think anybody is surprised that this archetype fits the mold with 419, it makes use of Aumakua, Zamba, Deuces Wild, and Falsified Credentials.

I’m excited to try this because I’ve been playing 419 in a completely different way. I’ve been working on some jank that totally ignores the bullet points of How to Make 419 Effective::tm:

419 Power Wheel

Event (19)

Hardware (2)

Resource (19)

Icebreaker (5)

Program (1)

46 cards (min 45)

For those of you who don’t know me, Security Nexus is my favorite card/playstyle in all of Netrunner: play it safe and face-check any and all ice without a care in the world… (except Anansi :spider: :frowning_face: ). So I wanted to see how Rogue Trading with Citadel Sanctuary and Power Tap x3 worked.

It was okay… Its a deck that’s a lot of fun when it’s up and running but getting there can always be difficult. Well which side of the fence are you on Are you going classic value cards or are you in the jank tank? What are you trying with Criminals newest runner: 419?

Bonus: - YouTube

1 Like

I think there are currently two existing archetypes that fit well into 419. You can take take Timmy Wong’s The Kite Runner, change Nero for 419 and find a slot for a Mongoose. Alternatively, you can take the Leela Expose/Derez deck that was popular some weeks ago and work with that.
I think both decks share the same problems: They have a bit of a slow setup, are bad in match-ups where ICE doesn’t matter much and make a pretty negative play experience for the Corp once they get rolling. That said, they are probably not bad. I think they are better than any “vanilla” 419 build, because in that case you’re playing a regular draw-money-breaker-runs deck - and if you do that, why shouldn’t you just play Anarch and have access to better draw cards, better money cards and better breakers?

So, the 419 deck I played a bit is basically the expose/derez version:

419 Derez

Event (18)
2x Career Fair (Breaker Bay)
3x Corporate “Grant” (Council of the Crest)
3x Deuces Wild (23 Seconds) ●●●
1x Drive By (The Underway)
3x Fisk Investment Seminar (The Universe of Tomorrow)
2x Leave No Trace (Free Mars)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit)
3x Sure Gamble (Revised Core Set)

Hardware (8)
3x GPI Net Tap (23 Seconds)
2x Rubicon Switch (Earth’s Scion)
3x Zamba (Sovereign Sight)

Resource (14)
3x Daily Casts (Creation and Control)
3x Earthrise Hotel (The Source)
2x Film Critic (Old Hollywood) :unicorn: ●●
3x Liberated Account (Revised Core Set) ●●●●● ●
2x The Turning Wheel (The Liberated Mind) ●●
1x Xanadu (Revised Core Set) ●●

Icebreaker (5)
3x Aumakua (Crimson Dust)
1x Mongoose (Kala Ghoda)
1x Peregrine i[/i]
45 cards (min 45)

5 Likes