Imaginary Cards

You know, all the D&D runners’ cards are 1-3 influence. I wonder what a five influence card for them would end up looking like.

Also, I have no idea what they’d look like, but I kind of like a idea of runner alliance cards being with the D&D runner factions instead of between the core three. Or, alternatively, a card that doesn’t cost influence if you don’t have a specific faction’s card in your deck. Say, a card that didn’t cost any influence if you weren’t running any Anarch stuff in your deck.

2 Likes

Secured Investments - 1
Weyland Asset - ••
At the end of each successful run on a remote server, gain 1c for each card installed in that server.
Trash: 4
"You break it, you buy it. You don’t break it, you’re still buying it."

5 Likes

McCarthy
ICE - Barrier
5c

3 str

Whenever the Runner breaks a subroutine on McCarthy, he or she must trash 1 card from his or her grip unless the subroutine was broken with a fracter.

⤷ End the run.
⤷ End the run.

Weyland - 2 Inf

2 Likes

I designed one for Adam a while back:

Lovegood's Adjustments [2] (unique)
Hardware - Mod
The first time each turn you break a subroutine on a piece of ICE that wasn't rezzed this turn, gain [click].
(5 ADAM influence)
"Well, now you know what it does. Better luck next time."

Y’know, letting Adam leverage ABR better. In any other faction it would probably be broken, but I think it works in Adam. Since he’s pressed for clicks, it would be amazing for the old Bioroid…
The flavor is of course that once Adam knows what an ICE does, he and the good doctor can work out ways of being more efficient in breaking it.

I see what the card is trying to do, but only after a few read-throughs.
Maybe you could say "As an additional cost to use an AI program to break a subroutine on McCarthy, he or she must trash 1 card from his or her grip."
It’s clearer in what the card is supposed to accomplish. Yes, it doesn’t hose Always Be Running, Quetzal, Kit or E3 anymore, but do those cards really need hosing?

0mega
The Torchbearer
Anarch Identity: Natural
1 link, 45/15
Once per turn, bypass a piece of ice protecting Archives.
“Out with the old.”

1 Like

Yeah that’s definitely way to word the ability and I’m not opposed to it. I was mostly writing it that way as a thought exercise because I was trying to figure out how to hose D4V1D if the card was 5+ strength.

Continuing on @Kore’s idea of a “sideboard” in Netrunner, I had a thought. Since almost every runner has a “signature” console, and you can only have 1 Console installed. So my thought was, what if we had a Runner with more than one signature console?

Princess Space Kitten: Treasure Collector (0 Link)
SHAPER Identity - Cyborg
Before drawing your starting hand, search through your stack for up to 10 cards
and remove them from the game.
"There's all this stuff I WANNA use, but only so much I GOTTA use."

Lets you use all those situational cards you normally don’t include in your deck. We always complain about the fact that there aren’t enough deckslots; here are 10 extras.

Fuzzypaws (2c)
Hardware - Console
+1 MU
Whenever the corp scores an agenda, you may make a run.
Limit 1 Console per player.
(3 SHAPER Influence)
"Fuzzypaws is ALWAYS ready to pounce."

Lets you punish decks that aim to score many small agendas, or rush you over. Hit 'em when they’re at their most vulnerable.

Mittens (2c)
Hardware - Console
+1 MU
The Corp cannot use paid abilities during a run. (This does not include rezzing cards)
Limit 1 Console per player
(3 SHAPER Influence)
"Mittens is so fast, you hardly know she was there."

Works wonders against corps trying to get all tricksy on you. Useful against Jacksons, various Agenda shenanigans, and some ICE with paid abilities.

Spotty (2c)
Hardware - Console
+1 MU
Whenever you trash an asset, remove it from the game.
Limit 1 Console per player.
(3 SHAPER Influence)
"Spotty loves to break things, but I love him anyway."

Hitting Museum and assetspam decks where it hurts.

The whole concept is for this runner to pick and choose exactly what you need for certain matchups. The core concept of Shaper has always been one of flexibility and home-built rigs, held together with scotch tape and prayers. Space Kitten lets you build your deck, ish, before every game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How about " As an additional cost to use a non-fracter program…" or something like that? Works against AI, d4v1d, Grappling Hook.

2 Likes

I didn’t think the ability as originally worded was all that complex, you only break a subroutine by using the specific ability the card has to do so, and when you do so, if that card isn’t a fracter, then you have to do housekeeping basically, for each subroutine. Weyland definitely needs to enforce a gear check better. I say that if your deck can move really quickly, it must be weaker to kill decks, and it must have some amount of counter play, or else the game plays itself.

Sledgehammer
Criminal, Inf 4
Program: Icebreaker, AI, Noisy
Install 3
Memory 1
Strength 0

1c: +1 Strength
0c: Break any number of subroutines, then take 1 tag.

Sledgehammer cannot be used on ice protecting a remote server.
To its users, everything looks like a nail.

Not sure why there hasn’t yet been an icebreaker that trades power/breaking for tags yet, but this is my idea. Very powerful, but only under certain circumstances - low-strength, multiple-subroutine ice, when you know you’ll be attacking centrals, and you’ve already committed to floating tags. To keep its power from being out of control, I added in the central-only requirement (along the lines of Alias/Mimic/Passport), plus the 0 strength and 3 install.

If you do care about the tag, then you’re essentially breaking subroutines for a click and 3 credits, so it’s not too powerful. I was going back and forth between 0c and 1c to break all subroutines, but I think strength 0 makes it so that a 0c break plus the tag should be fine. 3 install might be too low, but if I’m designing a Criminal power card, it’s reasonable. 4 influence so that Anarchs can’t splash multiples of it willy-nilly, though I could see Jesminder deciding it’s worth the cost as a one-of.

5 Likes

I think this a nice way to do a criminal AI. I like all of the design decisions to balance it. I think the tag breaker makes as central only breaker cause those a the servers you want to run a lot to make the tags build up plus it seems like it would be fun with lawyer up. l This is a breaker I would definitely sleeve up in a custom card cube.

When I imagine this in a constructed rig it makes me think you like won’t run this with the other central breakers. So I wonder what a criminal remote only AI would look like. Conversely, I think this might be fun to split this into slightly better statted breakers that are limited to a single server central, one for HQ and one for R&D. I think it would feel very criminal with there sort of right tool for the job style with special order, and encourages the redundancy that seems to be their best answer in faction to program trashing.

Analysis Committee
HB Operation
Influence 1
Cost 2

Add a card from Archives to HQ.

Shuffle a card from HQ into R&D.

I’ve said before that Rework is an excellent half of a card. This was the simple and obvious combination, but it leaves a lot of flexibility. Recover from noise slightly, recur something and deflood a bit, recur something and return a card you really want in R&D for other reasons (SFSS, Snare!, etc).

3 Likes

looks like this could be a good alliance card

1 Like

Oh yeah, shuffle that card in twice with Mumbad City Hall

Keys to the City
Neutral Resource
Inf 1 - Install 5

The corp may not create new remote servers.

At the beginning of your turn, place a power counter on Keys to the City. When Keys to the City has 3 or more power counters on it, trash Keys to the City.

Let’s table all dicussions of corporate expansion for the time being.

5 Likes

Better watch out for He 3 deposits.

1 Like

Possible variant:

Sledgehammer
Criminal, Inf 4
Program: Icebreaker, AI, Noisy
Install 3
Memory 1
Strength 0
Xc: Match the strength of a piece of ice currently being encountered.
Xc: Break any number of subroutines, then take 1 tag.
X is equal to the number of tags the Runner currently has plus 1.
Sledgehammer cannot be used on ice protecting a remote server.
It gets heavier the more you use it.

This encourages both aggressive running and discourages tag floating, which in turn encourages the use of all the tag-removal or avoidance that Criminals have. Anarchs/Shapers could import it, but the cost might quickly get out of hand unless they commit to removing tags every time.

If both matching and beating strength is too much, the first could be substituted for +5 strength. If this is done, I would probably test X equal to tags instead of tags+1. I might test that anyway, to see if it really works well - after all, at just three tags it’s 6 to break a piece of ice, regardless of the ice, and that’s using Sledgehammer for an Account Siphon once.

Edit: On the other hand, this could be literally broken with New Angeles City Hall, especially if it’s left at X=tags. 2 credits and no clicks for any ice is not intended. At least at X+1 it becomes 4 credits/ice with that combo. Maybe add a “cannot be prevented” bit in there, though that messes up both Decoy and Forger.

NACH be damned, don’t forget about the existence of Dorm Computer. You get no tags on a run made by it with that. I think you’d almost have to make taking a tag part of the cost that can’t be ignored.

1 Like

Thematically I think Sledgehammer should be a fracter rather than AI :wink: (and its not like criminal couldn’t use a good in-faction fracter), and then not be X+1 (sure the NACH and Dorm computer combos are good but it won’t get you through everything).

Or you could front load the tagging and payment into the start of the run rather than the abilities

Sledge
●●●●○ (Criminal) 2c
Program: Icebreaker - Fracter - Noisy
Whenever you initiate a run, you may gain a tag and then pay 1c for each tag you have. If you do, Sledge gains “1c: +5 strength” and “1c: Break up to 2 barrier subroutines” until the end of the run.
Strength: 0

Rethinking several cards to make them a little more fair:

Faust
●●○○○ (Anarch) 3c
Program: Icebreaker - AI
When you install Faust from your grip, you may trash any number of cards from your Grip. If you do, put two power counters on Faust for each card trashed.
Hosted power counter: break ice subroutine.
Hosted power counter:+1 strength
Strength: 3

By making you pay up front it decouples faust somewhat from the power of the wyldcakes engine (though it’s still good with it as you draw and use multiple fausts). Note it doesn’t work with shaper bullshit installing (except hayley) to decouple it from another thing that makes Faust oppressive. Made it a bit more efficient to compensate for being limited.

A)
Museum of History
●●○○○ (Neutral) 1c
Asset: Alliance - Ritzy
This card costs 0 influence if you have 50 or more cards in your deck.
When your turn begins, you may shuffle 1 card from Archives into R&D.
If Museum of History is trashed whilst rezzed, remove it from the game.
Trash: 5

B)
Museum of History
●●○○○ (Neutral) 1c
As an additional cost to rez Museum of History, forfeit an agenda.
When your turn begins, you may shuffle up to 2 cards from Archives into R&D.
Trash: 8

C)
Shivaji Museum (Unique)
●●○○○ (Neutral) 1c
When your turn begins, you may reveal and shuffle 1 non-unique card from Archives into R&D.
Trash: 5

Three ways to keep Museum strong without it being unbounded. Extends the game/taxes for the decks that want it but with either version the Corp has limited museums rather than being able to recycle them endlessly.

1 Like