It's not that hard, and she's pretty hardcore - Leela Patel

You figure I’m short memory? I had issues before I cut sneakdoor, but after that it’s been fine. I don’t often run Passport and Cerberus at the same time (or in the same game, sometimes) so they don’t tend to compete, and Breach doesn’t get installed if I see Corroder. 5 mem tends to go to datsaucker, medium, fracter, decoder, sentry. If RnD gets locked up very tight, I can drop a Medium for another Datasucker to keep HQ and remotes live in order to close out the game.

Makes sense. I usually like a Farie out on top of everything. But I also probably could stand to be more aggressive.

I find my Faeries tend to be dead and gone by the time Femme actually comes out :wink: I run them pretty hard.

I’m curious about the HQI over Legwork when not running Sneakdoor.

i feel like leela benefits more from maker’s eye and legwork more than any runner. i dont like the interfaces because leela isnt as rich as gabe or andy and you really don’t want to suggest to the corp they should be stacking more ice on any particular central server. part of my strategy with leela is only picking and prodding away at Rnd or HQ and leaving the other alone but if the ice gets stacked 3 deep on either HQ or RnD that when the problems start to arise.

4 Likes

Well, historically it’s from when the deck had Sneakdoor, but I’ve still liked having the interface over the legwork, for two reasons.1 is that HQI works vs Crisium Grid and vs Nesei tokens (inasmuch as the corp has no reason to block any particular HQ run over another, whereas a legwork is a great opportunity to etr), and reason 2 is that HQI works with Inside Job. That said, HQ interface is much more expensive and does telegraph the play earlier. So far I feel like I can afford the 1 I tend to install, but if the deck feels tight over multiple plays that’s definitely something I’m willing to swap now that Sneakdoor is out.

after some rocky games with Kate PP Dog at the beginning of SHL3 (due mostly to rotten luck) i switched it up to @spags Leela build. it feels right; I played @Basoon’s back in SHL2 and it treated me well. I like this Desperado build and Leela is well suited to my play style. I get discouraged easily as a player and competitor, but playing Leela I know if I stick with it I’m never truly out of the game. the nature of her ability helps to keep my head too; even when the corp scores and gets one step closer to winning, I get to interact and if I’ve been planning properly, recover very quickly and hopefully snag a score of my own. Leela feels almost like she’s daring the Corp to score. you wanna score? go ahead, I’ll score too

4 Likes

I’m pro hqi, personally, with the caveat that it has not been quick enough for me when I want to make plays, historically. While inside job is great when corps aren’t respecting it, oftentimes I find myself not having enough to do with it while also feeling obligated to keep it in. Thus, inside job to HQ becomes a much stronger play with HQI, aND sneakdoor is a pretty solid 1 or 2 of when playing 3x Mr. LI.

One thing that comes up with Leela, is not really knowing until you see your opponent and hon how the opening goes for them, whether you need to be relentless amd aggressive or methodical and precise. To that end, it really helps to diversify your economy, so that no one Corp locks you out of being able to threaten running their scoring remote (or retaliating to a fast advanced agenda). I’ve pulled my dirty laundries entirely, they just weren’t cutting it without sec test and desperado out, and have been very pleased with the stability of daily casts. Day job is also quite good, as after you score an agenda, often the Corp will need to take their next turn rebuilding before they can try to score again, so finding times to just take 8 is not too hard.

It wasn’t really the deckslot that made me drop sneakdoor, more the fact that with sec testing, desperado and datasucker in the deck, people were ICEing up archives before sneakdoor hit the table. Add that to the tighter memory due to Medium/Datasucker and it felt dead in my hand a lot of the time. Do you find it doing a lot of work for you? Are you still running sec testing?

My economy has been pretty ok so far (it mostly suffers when facing glacier and I need to find my Kati, but Mr Li has been making that happen pretty quick) but I’ve been hearing a lot from people here about suffering for econ, so I’m starting to think it’s just been my lucky matches that have been protecting me. I do like the speed of Dirty Laundry so I think I’ll keep that, but Day Job (probably cutting a Parasite for 2 or something like that) seems like a good slot in. If I start finding myself gasping for air too often, I’ll give it a go :slight_smile: People have also been recommeding lucky find, but it would be harder to fit the influence in.

I’m playing a lot of breakers, and even some pretty situational ones (like Yog and mimic w/o any datasuckers). This comes at the cost of a bit of deck inflation, though with Mr. Li I am rarely forced into picking up a breaker I don’t want. Anyway, the secondary benefit is that I make a lot of mileage out of 3 MU, and I’ve tinkered with a lot of different ways to use those last 2 MU (mediums, MO, Sneakdoor being the main ones)

Now the drawback of filling up on MU is that it makes having faerie AND a killer, or double faeries, much harder. The pressure provided from very diverse breakers is not to be underestimated, but if you can get a few cheap accesses and hopefully a score from Sneakdoor, you can probably feel vindicated in writing over it if you have to.

In my playtests with Sneakdoor (admitedly, the deck had no Security Testing so there was infrequently ICE over archives) it very regularly picked up an agenda tossing it down and running after the corp puts down the second ICE over their scoring remote.

So the basic questions to me are:
How often do you run out of steam at game point?
How often do you get locked out of HQ?
How often do you not have a punishing target for you ID ability?

If the answer to those questions is “not that often” you probably don’t need a Sneakdoor Beta.

To your exact deck:

5 opening cards has taught me not to rely on Desperado+Security Testing, and that often, the run portion of Dirty Laundry has felt like a crutch rather than helpful. Even though you can get the “perfect dirty laundry” for 8 credits, for that kind of setup, I’d rather just play it safe and get 1 less from daily casts, which very much outshines DL short of your entire econ engine put together.

I really like the 1x John Masanori. Getting him mid-late game when it becomes very unlikely you’ll be making many unsucessful runs feels like a really smart deck inclusion.

As much as I like HQI, and I’m playing a LOT of money, I have found it very clunky both when I want to try to catch you about to score, and when I want to return fire after a score. If I had the supplier and I could just load him up as I drew interfaces, I’d probably do it, but as it stands, I think Legwork is the much sleaker card from an economy of actions (and regular economy) perspective.

3x security testing could easily go down to 2x, and pick up a second Kati Jones. security testing gets locked out as often it is a brutal economy engine, and even though Leela likes wasting an ICE, I don’t think 3x is the right call for her.

You have a lot of influence invested in DS/medium/parasite. That’s a judgement call, but I have enjoyed having a few less crappy criminal breakers, and some more premiun econ pieces like day job and lucky find.

1 Like

Whilst I see the argument, from my experience so long as NEH is out there, plus 3 credits to check a remote feels sufficently good in tempo terms to warrent a place. It also helps a bit in the late game against glacier decks, letting you make a R&D run say and not completely break yourself doing it.

in my example, I’ve just switched it for for Daily Casts, so I haven’t felt the hurt, economically, from cutting DL. I also am loathe to hit a facedown card with dirty laundry for fear of it magically disappearing, but maybe that’s just because I’m a coward. I feel that anytime you hit an empty archives with it for 3 credits, that’s a waste. And even for 4 credits, is worse than a daily casts (burst vs. drip not withstanding, just in terms of raw numbers).

1 Like

Security Testing/ or played on Turn 1 to recop Desperado aside I totally agree with you.

Face-downs disappearing are only really likely if it is Jackson or Mark Yale. It’s pretty obvious whether using them would be a good play or not at the time you use it, so it’s not normally much of a risk. And if the Corp wants to waste a Jackson to deny 3 credits (which I would have had to pay to trash it anyway), most of the time I’m totally fine with that.

There isn’t a right answer here, it depends whether you value flexibility and raw numbers over tempo and lower start-up costs.

1 Like

Yeah, this is where I’m coming down at this point: Dirty Laundry is cheaper in the first 3 turns of the game and especially with Leela that feels like a really potent time to put pressure on, as an ICE bounced when there’s only 1 ICE guarding HQ/RnD turns it from a gear check ETR into open season for agendas.

I think I might go from 3 sec test 1 kati to 2/2 though; that’s a good call.

You’re right that you can often sniff out those disappearing servers, but my thinking was that most likely, if its early enough to not have any Jackson targets, its also early enough that you don’t have to risk it.

most people don’t want to admit it but i’d say at least 60% of the time, DL is Easy Mark. the kicker being it’s an Easy Mark that can occasionally sit dead in hand (or heap). i think DL is best for maintaining tempo while checking remotes. it’s heresy to say so but IMO in at least 50% of games, an Easy Mark in hand will be just as effective as a DL. DL is useful for maintaining tempo while running once you’re set up, but it doesn’t always show up at those opportune moments.

3 Likes

I’d say it’s a bit less of the time, since with 3x Desperado and 3x Sec Testing, I’m not unlikely to have at least one of those in play for most of the DLs. Plus, with Leela in particular, early runs can be so valuable (for draw, money, ICE HQ, DL is super nice to squeeze an RnD run that might pick an agenda and blow open HQ). I find that for 2 of my 3 DLs, I usually combo with Desperado or Sec Testing. That said, it’s harder to use in some matchups than Daily Casts, so that’s a competitive replacement. I think if Daily Casts was faster in the early game, I’d play it instead.

More money early >>> More money late.

In other words. With three dirty laundry in the deck you have a significant chance of drawing a laundry before the corp has iced archives, or alternately, you can face check and ice and have a likelihood of an unrezzable second ice.

Plus, dirty laundry leverages with desperado, sec testing, ppov, gabe, data sucker…

Well, good thing Im not saying that dirty laundry is ubiquitously bad for all decks and strategies.

So can someone help out and do an analysis of desperado/testing/sucker leela vs logos/traditional breaker leela? Or just start brainstorming.