[Kate] Redefining Shaper Control Decks

Right. Not agreeing with that statement. One tries to avoid multiple hardware installs in a turn for Kate, but, sometimes it beats discarding. It’s def. not the standard play.

1 Like

We played with proxies. NEH went to score with a clone chip but no SMC on the board. CC random breaker -> drop clot from hand -> cry tears of joy.

6 Likes

To me, Hayley’s game text feels like it should have been the other half of Professor’s game text - that would definitely make him good :smiley:

1 Like

I really like what opportunities Hayley allows.

Sometimes you just need to install two programs. Or maybe you install a 0 cost one, and lose out on Kate’s savings. Classic example is SMC->Parasite plays.

Now, with Hayley, perhaps you can actually go and dump some of that low-cost crap from your hand that you’ll eventually need. Drop down the SMC, and put Zu there with it before you run that server. Hit a non-Codegate? Alright, then have the SMC toss out Corroder.

With Kate, sometimes you have no choice but to waste her ability. But 1 free click or install (especially mid-run) is a lot harder to come by than a 1 credit savings.

When it comes to installing PPVPs, Click savings to drop two down will pay itself off much faster than with Kate’s discount and two clicks to drop two down. Being able to drop down two Clone Chips or stealth chips would really argue for Replicator’s utility as well, removing the main issue with all this cheap but useful-in-multiples hardware and programs.

So for Hayley, how about we just transplant our PPVP Kate decks, but add Comet, replace Voicepads with Moddeds, and just make sure to run at least two RDIs and 2 Stimhacks? Sound good?

3 Likes

So, I haven’t listened in on the discussion about Hayley too much, or even thought about what to do with her or whether she’s any good, but my first thought aside from playing things that are almost always good to install like Daily Casts and Earthrise Hotel is Personal Workshop. Obviously, it’s a good enough card on its own, and you can leave things with one counter on it like Clone Chip to allow you to install anything from your hand at instant speed. It also has obvious synergy with Stimhack, (which is also great because you can Stimhack a run basically anywhere for value if you can effectively install a card from your deck/discard AS WELL as from your hand).

I wonder about whether PPVP makes any sense for her. My guess is that playing enough events to make PPVP good also sort of makes your ability worse. I know I’m going to sound like a casual for saying this, but Pawnshop econ might be better.

8 Likes

Yeah my inclination for Hayley is something based off of Stimshop CT decks, nothing like modern Kate decks. PPVP doesn’t seem terribly good with Hayley.

1 Like

You mean like this? Does this look competitive to you?

Blitz Running Modded Hayley - Clot version

Hayley Kaplan: Universal Scholar (Breaker Bay)

Event (24)
3x Diesel (Core Set)
3x Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control)
1x Indexing (Future Proof)
1x Legwork (Honor and Profit) [color=#4169E1]••[/color]
1x Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control)
3x Lucky Find (Double Time) [color=#708090]••••• •[/color]
3x Modded (Core Set)
2x Quality Time (Humanity’s Shadow)
2x Scavenge (Creation and Control)
2x Stimhack (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
3x Sure Gamble (Core Set)

Hardware (7)
3x Clone Chip (Creation and Control)
2x Comet (Breaker Bay)
2x R&D Interface (Future Proof)

Resource (2)
2x Same Old Thing (Creation and Control)

Icebreaker (8)
1x Atman (Creation and Control)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 (All That Remains)
2x Cyber-Cypher (Creation and Control)
1x Deus X (A Study in Static)
1x Mimic (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]•[/color]
1x Sharpshooter (True Colors)

Program (4)
1x Clot (The Valley) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
1x Parasite (Core Set) [color=#FF4500]••[/color]
2x Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control)
15 influence spent (max 15)
45 cards (min 45)
Cards up to Breaker Bay

Deck built on NetrunnerDB.

I think you are right. Maybe Aesop as economy engine, anything that costs 0 to install is potentially a free easy mark without the installation click.

1 Like

I get that Haley’s on the art of Comet, and all associated flavor nonsense, but as far as I can tell there is every reason to NOT play Comet in Haley. They actually each reward you for playing a type of card that is mutually exclusive from the type of card the other rewards you for playing.

13 Likes

Yeah, it’s sort of like Dino and CT. Everyone knows Desperado is CT’s console, anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

This is also why the best ppvp Kates runs Eureka!.

2 Likes

I also agree that PPVP & and Comet are not great strategies in Hayley. I had an idea for a Hayley deck that’s kind of a hybrid of Stimshop CT and Blitz Kate.

Event (22)
3x Diesel
3x Dirty Laundry
2x Indexing
3x Modded
3x Quality Time
3x Stimhack •••
3x Sure Gamble
2x The Maker’s Eye

Hardware (10)
2x Box-E ••
3x Clone Chip
2x HQ Interface ••••
3x R&D Interface

Resource (1)
1x Utopia Shard •

Icebreaker (6)
1x Atman
1x Corroder ••
1x Deus X
1x Gordian Blade
1x Mimic •
1x Sharpshooter

Program (6)
2x Magnum Opus
1x Parasite ••
3x Self-modifying Code

It uses Stimhack & SMC and Modded to bring out programs and hardware quickly and cheaply. The click efficiency allows for a robust Magnum Opus based econ, and Box E provides memory for the Opus and offsets the brain damage from Stimhack.

1 Like

Well how else are you gonna Quality Time into a Modded and then install a Lady and an SMC in one click?

7 Likes

Workshops instead of Laundries probably?

Yeah, that’s a good idea, I was thinking of what could be dropped to fit in Workshops.

But…the flavour…

2 Likes

I actually think this sounds really good, and the reason why Comet should work with Hayley. How about playing 2 Lucky Finds for three clicks then installing a Lady and a Gordian Blade? Just an example, surely far from the best one, but reason to look into why Comet can be good in Hayley.

Or after scoping out RD ice, seeing an Enigma in front of an unrezzed piece of ice, you can install a Zu and SMC for one click, then Indexing and then Maker’s Eye for a total of 2 clicks. Obviously some dream drawing involved in that example, but when clicks are likely your most valuable resource, being able to save up to two per turn in the mid and late game will be strong. I think we’ll see a lot of Hayley and she’ll likely be right up there with Kate.

1 Like

as far as I can tell there is every reason to NOT play Comet in Haley. They actually each reward you for playing a type of card that is mutually exclusive from the type of card the other rewards you for playing.

True; but, it may be that Hailey’s ability is a temporary boost to speed in the early game, letting you get more crap our of your deck and onto the table, making the time at which you reach “event-mode” come faster. So that when you go through the deck a second time with Levy, you’re doing it much earlier in the game. And then with commet, now that everything’s out of the way, maybe you go through your deck a third time. I think the abilities are really about different phases of the game. You’d use the identity much more in the opener and the console in the mid to late game. In that way they are complimentary.

Which is not to say that some hardware all-in mode won’t be successful on some level; but I doubt its the optimum way to play the identity. It’ll probably make stealth a bit more beastly in the interim. I imagine that Shaper deck will get a pretty big boost; but I think its hard to ignore “event” shaper and most of those event decks aren’t exactly light on programs or hardware. Being able to install a commet and voicepad over a single click has as much value as doing it with clone chip.

1 Like

Haley is the 2nd worst shaper ID to include comet in outside of the professor. It should absolutely never be done, period. Calling it.

2 Likes