Official Rules Question Thread

Yeah, yes. Unless you’re officially working in FFG for ANR and I didn’t know.

It’s your prerogative if you wish to take mistakes as gospel. I would recommend that you stick to the FAQ first, then peruse ANCUR for supplemental information.

3 Likes

I honestly can’t say if Damon makes mistake or not, and if Lukas made mistakes or not.
You seem to see the light, so quote them. We’re the guys who quote them, you’re the guys who say “it is like this because it is like this”.

Until then, I’ll trust whatever is written by them more that any BS I or anyone can tell on that matter.

Search for “reversal” in ANCUR and you’ll find a few.

Like the reversal Crisium Grid vs Security testing ruling, hmm ?

I found strange that the only answers to justify this new thing is “yeah Lukas/Damon makes mistake, I’m more right than him”.
Still their words are what TO should applies, not yours.

sarcasm After cascading, nested, if you want to find a new FAQ name for this, I’d propose the “monty hall” ruling. Or whack-a-mole, at your choosing. /sarcasm

Not sure why so smug.

he’s French :wink:

2 Likes

Everything I’m telling you is based on things Damon and Lukas have said. I hate to break it to you (because it’s mostly an admittance of failure on my part), but ANCUR is out of date. As I’m the only person who works on the website, I’m far too busy being the foremost expert on How Netrunner Works to add every Twitter, private chat, email, and phone conversation I’ve had with Damon or Lukas to the website. I’m doing so slowly yet surely, but it is exactly that; slow.

So you can continue to argue against how the game works, as mandated by the lead designer at the second biggest tournament of the year (that was North American Championships at Gen Con last weekend, where FFG paid me to judge), but you’ll continue to be incorrect. Meanwhile, the rest of us will be playing the game as intended, and I’ll be doing my best to upkeep a website riddled with errors because of Lukas’s and Damon’s off-handed or rethought remarks.

I have literally no motivation to tell people how to play the game incorrectly. I have a reputation to uphold if I want to continue to be paid by FFG.

9 Likes

Yeah, I’m a little insignificant smug guy. Understood.

To support your thinking on the matter, you produce a mail which clearly state the opposite of what you say.
I read it, quote it and then it suddenly transforms into Lukas mistakes.

I’m sorry about this but it’s not satisfying !

3 Likes

Have you got a reversal of the reversal of Crisium vs Sectest secret communication aswell ?

I get that. It’s confusing. I gave an example. Gabe’s ability is another one.

I’m not “more right” than anyone. I’m right, that’s good enough. :wink:

Of course, it’s confusing, now I officially don’t understand anything at all !

1 Like

My question seems to not have been seen.
Can we use apocalypse with a run with sneakdoor and a run on R&D ?

I’m trying to understand how your ruling works.

I believe you’d have to run Archives normally too. Good question, though!

I’ve been tracking what you and @CJFM have been saying about CtM, Slums, conditional abilities and replacement effects as it relates to their interaction.

But, this brings up something I’ve haven’t fully understood. I’ve memorized it, but I haven’t fully grokked it. Why is Kit’s ability considered constant, but Gabe’s is considered conditional? Is it because the word “time” is not present? If so, if it was reworded like this:

“The first time you encounter a piece of ice each turn, it gains code gate until the end of the run.”

Would it be conditional? To me, the use of ordinals (first, second, etc.) makes sense to signify conditional abilities and the use of “time” is inconsequential (i.e. add it if it makes the sentence sound like proper English).

I would say there is a new definition of conditional abilities in preparation : if it can fail, it’s conditionnal. If not, it’s permanent.

Run can fail => Gabe would be conditional.
Encounter first ice can’t fail (with the actual card pool) => Kit is permanent.

I honnestly hate to have that sorts of “what are” questions now, since before it was super simple in a super complicated “how that works” environnement, now it’s just like this cherry is conditional, that one is permastuff. Then put that cherry on top of a super high and super slippy cake.

@tvaduva I’ve interpreted this wrong before, so I might be able to redeem myself and get it right this time.

I’d compare Kit’s wording to Corp ice using the word “gains” such as Tour Guide and Ashigaru. They’re constant abilities.

If it was worded as you suggest, then yes it would be a conditional ability, and then you would choose the order of abilities with the same trigger “the first time you encounter a piece of ice each turn”.

Yeah, proper English hates Netrunner templating. :frowning:

I think that’s a good litmus test for the most part.

Wait what?
Let me check…

Maybe I’m insane, but I don’t feel your response addressed this? :frowning:

Hypothetical: Imagine a TheoryCard that did the same thing Off the Grid does, except it trashes on successful Archives runs. Would you trash a TheoryCard on a successful Sneakdoor Beta run?

(My current knowledge says it wouldn’t: Sneakdoor and TheoryCard both trigger on the successful Archives run, but Sneakdoor replaces it before TheoryCard would resolve, and because there isn’t a successful run on Archives anymore (it was replaced), TheoryCard would be unable to resolve.)