Official Rules Question Thread

Yeah, we see eye-to-eye on this. The thing I was missing earlier was that accessing is a multi-step process (not as simple as either accessing it or not), but I get that it is now (despite a lack of clarification about that anywhere in the rules AFAICT). Thanks for the clarification.

The individual access steps are something Damon is interested in adding to a future FAQ at some point. I think that should help make these sorts of things clearer.

13 Likes

Could be useful just to clarify things that deal with Access interactions… I currently look at it as analogous to ‘When Encountered’ for ICE. As long as you understand that you have to pay for Tollbooth, even if you have a Parasite and 5 Datasucker tokens, you understand how When Encountered works. And thus you can extrapolate it to When Accessed, too.

(Hmm. Thinking about it, the only When Accessed effect on the Runner side is Film Critic? Basically they’ve not printed anything to dodge Snare! yet, right?)

Say I use Tinkering or Paintbrush to give Little Engine Barrier. If I spend 6 credits on Paperclip, am I required to break the last subroutine?

Typically this shouldn’t matter because I could spend 4 credits for +4 strength (not able to break anything), and then 2 credits for +2 strength and break 2 subroutines. I’m still curious about the answer though

Paperclip says “up to” so you can absolutely choose to break less subroutines than the number of credits you spent allows.

3 Likes

Thanks! As usual I just need to RTFC

1 Like

You sir, are a godsend.

2 Likes

Question about BoN/Bypass. So BoN has 2 consecutive advanced Ice Walls. Suppose I femme the first one. If I bypass I don’t take the meat damage (same as femme/tollbooth). When I encounter the second one, based on the CtM/Slums ruling, I still don’t take the meat damage?

Edit (shorter): Does bypassing an advanced ice turn off the Builder of Nations ID ability for the turn?

That’s correct. In this case there’s no replacement effect weirdness either. The encounter occurred, it just ended before BoN could trigger, so the reference back to the trigger condition is pretty strong.

One additional thing worth mentioning: while Inside Job and Feint are constant abilities - so they will always go first, even on the Corp’s turn - Security Nexus, Rigged Results, and Femme are conditional abilities - they’ll take priority on the runner’s turn but not on the corp’s turn (i.e. with An Offer You Can’t Refuse).

5 Likes

In most cases, An Offer You Can’t Refuse is a hypothetical, but BoN really really likes that card, I’ve been finding. (You have a bunch of influence left because you aren’t spending much on ICE. You want the runner to slam into a particular gauntlet of ICE… Or on the other hand, 1 point for 4cred+1click is pretty sweet.)

BoN is not a constant ability ?

I supposed that if you Femme the first advanced ice you encounter, you take the meat but if you Inside job it, you don’t take the meat ?

i think i figured out the problem.

Builder of Nations is a conditional ability. it does not use When / Whenever (of many conditional abilities), but it also does not use If / While / etc. (of many constant abilities)
it does, however, refer to the first occurrence of something (first time the runner encountered a piece of advanced ICE)

that is what makes it conditional

also it’s important to note that when a card refers to the first occurrence of something (per turn, game, run, etc.), it will very likely not use when / whenever (i looked briefly and did not find an example of this being used, but i admit that there may be an example somewhere)

think of constant abilities as either on or off depending on the board state. while you have more than x credits, while the runner is tagged, all ICE are encountered with…
these are always ‘on’

conditional effects are always looking for a trigger, so in that sense they can be considered ‘on,’ but they only trigger and resolve during that specific trigger window

back to BoN, it triggers the first time the runner encounters a piece of advanced ICE

if you Femme Fatale or Inside Job a piece of advanced ICE, and it is the first piece of advanced ICE encountered that turn, you encounter it, BoN triggers and goes into the queue, Femme or Inside Job however resolve first, and the ICE is bypassed, BoN’s effect ‘fizzles’ since the ICE is no longer being encountered. since an encounter took place (albeit brief), BoN realises that its trigger condition has already been met and effectively turns itself off for the duration of the turn and no longer looks for any triggers

jako was saying that, if for some reason the runner could play Inside Job or Feint on the corp’s turn, they’d bypass before BoN’s ability, even on the corp’s turn because they are constant abilities (ie: always ‘on’ and not waiting for a trigger)
Femme, Security Nexus, and Rigged Results will bypass BoN’s ability on the runner’s turn because they’re all conditional with the same trigger, and runner conditions resolve first

Femme and Security Nexus (the only two abilities usable during the corp’s turn) will not bypass BoN’s ability during an An Offer You Can’t Refuse run, since, because they are all conditional abilities, BoN’s ability would resolve first, then the runner could choose to bypass (or not)

1 Like

Ok, ok. Another question (I won’t chain react much on answers don’t worry).

Is the Foundry a constant ability ? (It have the same wording and I’m wondering what is interrupting ABT and not Femme).

no, because it says ‘the first time you x…’ so it’s also conditional

the thing that’s interrupting ABT is the shuffle from The Foundry that occurs during the resolution of ABT’s trigger

so you trigger ABT, look at the top 3 cards of R&D. they are still considered in R&D and in the order you are looking at them, you then install a piece of ICE that then starts a nested/cascading trigger condition for The Foundry to search for and find another copy of that ICE, putting it into your hand, you then shuffle as part of that effect, disrupting the resolution of ABT because the other 2 cards you looked at are still in R&D and are therefore shuffled away

consider a scenario where Foundry didn’t shuffle afterwards. you’d continue like normal with ABT after resolving Foundry’s ability. it’s just like any other cascading trigger condition.

also of note: it’s probably not templated well, but ABT resolves installing and rezzing each piece of ICE one at a time instead of all at once, so as soon as you install the first piece, you have the option of choosing to trigger Foundry or keep resolving ABT

1 Like

By interruption, I meant what makes another card stop and pause and wait for for a second card.

I’m fine with “one at a time”.

Ok, no problem then, thanks.

NEXT Silver and Hernando Cortez - if the corp meet’s Mr. Cortez’s trigger and they go to rez a NEXT Silver with X NEXT ice already rezzed, does it cost X, X+1, or 0 extra from HC’s ability?

NEXT Silver has zero subroutines until after it is rezzed.

4 Likes

If I’m playing against CtM and I play Apocalypse, can I use any gained Link from installed cards to fight the trace?

(i.e. I have a Sports Hopper installed with Andy. Do I have Link 1 or Link 2 for the trace?)

If I have Jeeves rezzed and the runner has Rumor Mill in play, does playing a corp current count as one of the clicks for Jeeves? For example, if I play ELP to trash Rumor Mill and then play 2 other operations, do I get the extra click? At what point does Jeeves “see” a click being spent on playing an operation?

yes. you trash all the corp cards, triggering CtM’s trace. after those effects resolve, then you turn runner cards upside down.

2 Likes