[Completed] OFFICIAL Stimhack OCTGN League #1

Okay then Iā€™m going a step further and asking:
Do you ENJOY facing mostly NEH? I get itā€™s good practice for worlds. But I still canā€™t really believe itā€™s fun for anyone.

I donā€™t honestly care what other people play.

5 Likes

@Nordrunner @SneakySly I just want to know what rank I need to aim for in order to get prizes / be able to participate in any top X bracket.

Also I really wish challengeboards used Glicko instead of Eloā€¦ challengeboards says itā€™s open source so someone who is not lazy like me should get on that :stuck_out_tongue:

Nords started this madness, and he finished it.

It was all a setupā€¦ We were all part of it, except Nordrunner.

Shall we start the real League now?

3 Likes

Actually the easiest improvement for the next edition of the league would be to adjust the K factor thresholds.
Currently no one will ever reach the second K factor bucket (Nord, take this as a challenge and do not park the bus until 1968,75! :smile:).

3 Likes

First Netrunner league when Challenge board launched last year as a point of comparison.
http://www.challengeboards.net/boards/standings/4

2 Likes

What catches my eye are the win %.

Yeah, thatā€™s interesting. Do you think there was a bigger gap in player skill back then? Or is the game higher variance at the moment?

Higher variance / lower skill cap on common decks imo (but Iā€™m just reading that into the stats because I dislike NEH and Noise)

I think there were a lot less overall skilled players compared to this league. I have played in all of them, this one has more good players than any of the previous leagues imo.

6 Likes

It just makes sense as times goes on, the overall skill of the player base putting time and effort into getting better, will in general get better. Playing lots of games against people taking the game seriously will give you more to think about, see things you might not have seen, prepare you etc.

This is me just guessing though, when I played OCTGN I got better, I havenā€™t put time into this season. There is no store championship/regionals to prepare for, so I havenā€™t grinded OCTGN at all.

Never to early to train for worlds!

2 Likes

I am not attending :P. In a few years expect to see me at every worlds/nationals though if this game is still going strong :).

Yeah I had the same issue when I was in the BGG-5 League. I reached mid 1700s and then just felt I didnā€™t want to play anymore because bad luck would be extremely punishing. They need to use a different system than ELO that doesnā€™t punish the higher-ranked players so much.

1 Like

Either that, or just: [Completed] OFFICIAL Stimhack OCTGN League #1 - #382 by Apo

Thank you Wosho and moioioi for the matches. Hopefully I didnā€™t noob it up too much. Playing with such diverse and skilled people is a dramatic change of pace from my very, very small local scene. Loving it!

Isotropic uses trueskill (or some variant) for its rating. Your rating is a skill estimate, and an uncertainty. Your official ā€œrankā€ is the floor of that range (so if youā€™re 30 +/- 8, you are ranked 22. The way he combats ā€œparkingā€ is to have your uncertainty decay over timeā€¦ so that if you go on vacation for a month, youā€™ll fall off the leaderboard naturally.

2 Likes

Can we just change the code for the K-factor to be adjusted based on number of games played?

Any word in whether this will be top 16 or 8? Or on prize pool?