Red Sand Cycle: We're finally going to Mars!

Something about the Jemison text feels off. Is this compatible with the recent faq updates for the punitive counterstrike and GFI interaction, or was the punitive ruling (printed cost matters, not point value) limited to punitive?

I thought it read “if the runner spends”, silly me. You are of course entirely correct.

1 Like

False Lead is an agenda with a forfeit effect, so that’s a one card combo with the ID. Powerful one too, IMO. With two scored you can “FA” even Gov Takeover.

5 Likes

My favorite combo with the new ID so far:
Install Government Takeover
Advance
Advance
Forfeit 2 False Leads you scored previously, denying the runner their turn and advancing Government Takeover by 4
Advance
Advance
Advance
Score Government Takeover

And if you have a SanSan or a Biotic Labor, you could even Fast Track the GT that same turn.

11 Likes

So… If I understand MCA’s interaction with Kati correctly, if the corp puts it on her you won’t be able to both unload and trash her, (since she can only be used once per turn and MCA adds the trash text to the connection)?

2 Likes

I think that’s right.

MCA will need to have a pretty high play cost. The ability to effectively remove a Connection from the board, without any condition, is very, very powerful.

The perpetually-pessimistic part of me makes me think that it’ll be another NBN card from the ‘Exchange of Information’ school of design and thus cost 0.

Also, I imagine most of y’all have heard, but the MCA and Corporate Troubleshooter thing is really stupid. TShooter being able to be hosted on Off-Campus Apartment was mostly just a silly interaction - this one actually breaks the card. Almost certainly they’re going to have to do something about it - most likely ‘retcon’ away TShooter’s connection subtype.

1 Like

I’m not feeling yet Mr. Krabbs. We will have to see what other support they get that can slow Whizzcakes down enough for these upgrades and assets to do a thing.

Personally, I didn’t think much of the cards shown here. I can see the appeal of fast-advancing a High-Risk Investment, but it seems overly clunky and prone to meta hate for what it is.

Still, I prefer this to the “one metagame a month” run of this cycle.

5 Likes

Well we didn’t see CtM until just before the pack arrived either

shudders

2 Likes

Thematically, I like the increasing tag-me focus in Anarch cards like Obelus and Mars for Martians. I’ve always associated tag-me with Criminal, just because of siphon spam, but it makes much more sense for Anarchs to smash things up and not care how much noise they make.

4 Likes

With proper support and a lot of luck you can actually score takeover from hand.

Requires unrezzed Oberth and a SSCG as well as a Vanity Project ready to be sacrificed.

Click 1 - Install Gov. Takeover, rez oberth, forfeit vanity for 5 counters.
Click 2 - Advance to 7.
Click 3 - Advance to 8 to score Takeover.

With a Clones Are Not People in play you’ve effectively scored 7 from hand with Weyland.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about the ID, but Oberth looks interesting to me, not for the “maybe we can actually score GT” factor, but for the fact that it lets you never-advance 4/2s, score 3/1s from hand, and score your remaining Hostile Takeovers as doubles. Importing one or two into HB can give you a deck full of 2/2s (effectively) and some 2/0s to sacrifice to it.

The trick, of course, is defending it, which I think is going to call for combining some ice with defensive upgrades and currents to make the runner hesitate until you score an agenda or 2 before they trash it and make you rely on slow scores or SSCG/BL. I wouldn’t rely on having Oberth with one of those, but rather on having them all as options to do the same thing.

1 Like

I think Oberth is almost certainly best when used with Jemison. We’ve had cards that let you score 3 adv agendas from hand since the beginning. While this option is cheap in credits to rez, I don’t think many other id’s will want to lose an agenda for it.

But Jemison can now fast advance a 5/3 with this card, only sacrificing a hostile takeover. That’s insane.

1 Like

Can you forfeit pubblic support too ?

Without the ID, how is oberth any different to SSCG?

Well it works on advancable ice, but you also always need to spend a click advancing to get any benefit.

yes. it’s still an agenda when it goes to the score area

you could also sacrifice any 0 or negative point agendas

Yeah, admittedly, it was silly to think of this doing much out of faction. But it can be used as Weyland’s in-faction SSCG, costing no influence and with less of a credit hit. It’s admittedly strongest with their ID, but that’ll only fire once for each Oberth you rez, so you want to get your money’s worth.

Outside of that, it could free up some influence for the TT AtlasTrain. Or maybe give influence-starved GRNDL a stronger rush game?

Oberth triggers stuff like GRNDL Refinery, Reversed Accounts, and Ronin, for one. It also triggers if you have runner-turn advancement effects, like Matrix Analyzer or Space Camp. It can also trigger over multiple turns, if the runner is unwilling or unable to run it.