Siskel and Ebert Ruin The Meta: Film Critic Discussion

Asked Lukas via twitter. [begin wait]

@RukasuFox #Netrunner Film Critic is hosting an agenda. I access a second agenda. Can I host new agenda, trashing first?

— gumOnShoe (@gum0nShoe) August 12, 2015
1 Like

You aren’t the first one to ask. No replies so far.

Not the first maybe. But the classiest, for sure.

1 Like

I think @bblum and @IirionClaus already asked earlier today. Still no replies so far.

It’s summer, gencon just ended. He’s probably on vacation. Or wrapped up in game development. I’m a patient guy.

Lukas says an agenda stays on Film Critic when you access a second agenda (forcing you to score the second agenda).

3 Likes

Alrighty, good to know.

This makes the card slightly weaker, and definitely not as good for multi-access.

It’s still good, as if you hit a TFP you’ll happily put it on there, and if you see something like an NAPD you can just choose not to pay for it and keep going to use Film Critic on another agenda. It just means that now you’re forced to clear the Critic before running again, which I think most people would be doing anyway.

3 Likes

Seems perfectly balanced in this light

5 Likes

this feels right. it gives corps relying on midseasons a possible out even without connection killer tech, and forces the runner to trade something meaningful (tempo, in this case) for stealing hard to steal agendas “easily”

1 Like

hilarious that people are changing their mind about this card in light of this ruling. first of all, i can’t believe people ever thought you would be able to simply swap another accessed agenda and dump the first in archives. second, this ruling won’t affect the impact this card has or does not have on the meta, at all.

9 Likes

I feel it’s more about the fact that the card, while powerful, had an edge case that will probably be seen in a game, and have an impact in game, and therefore will allow people greater freedom in how they play against the card. Or whatever

1 Like

If you have The Source out you can still opt to not steal though by not paying the 3 creds. So run Source and multiple FC. This ruling is a mere speed bump for FC.

3 Likes

This card is everywhere in my meta. Criminals and Noise are splashing it left and right.

The Noise angle kinda makes sense to me. His econ is pretty strong, but early game it allows you to avoid either RPs agenda tax or to avoolid the threat of midseasons.

Is this card good enough to be a 1 or 2 of in most decks? Its something I have thought about a lot after seeing it in action. Its far easier to play than other counter cards (clot).

I also really liked the argument for imp in Anarch over this. I think it has a lot of merit.

Not sure why this was replied to me. I never said the card wouldn’t be played. I was merely remarking on how little the ruling mattered.

I was agreeing with your sentiment that the card was good and will likely see a lot of play, regardless of the ruling.

2 Likes

Card is nutz. It’s in all of my builds right now that I’m moving forward with.

Only build I don’t have it in is a tag me Anarch build. Otherwise it is a card I look at and always try to slot a 1 of in.