Smoke and Mirrors -- A Scovak Thread

I think it would be good for that exact reason.

PPVP would be good, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I’ve nothing against Paperclip. That card’s bonkers.

1 Like

Was actually replying to Syntax there :P.

I tried Switchblade, and it certainly does demolish sentries, but I found that it does push you into playing Ghost Runners, and… Ghost Runner is really more of a concession you make in deckbuilding to be able to play stealth than it is a card you actively want to include. If I was running into a lot of Tour Guides though, it’d definitely be worth the switch(blade).

1 Like

With the (glorious) demise of tubs, I think we can say Tour Guides will be on the decline for a while. :smiley:

@TheLordOfHats, I think the same thing about Mirror and Cloak. Being a deck building concession, that is. Lol. To each their own, I guess. I was thinking of taking out the Daily Casts for an extra Mirror and two extra Cloak, though.

@CJFM: Personally, I want to run Paperclip because it doesn’t require any extra recursion on support and is easily the best Fractor outside of Lady. It never pays more than Corroder, ever. The 2c extra install is worth it.

No doubt it’s better in that build. If you’re not playing the usual shaper CC/SMC package, it’s a better choice . :slight_smile:

Oh, for sure. But it’s a concession that I’m happier to be making.

Gotcha. Well, I do think we’re pretty close to rockin’ builds here. We’re just arguing over details until some real hardcore testing can happen. Something huge could be spoiled in the next few packs that changes them, too.

1 Like

Well, I think you would have to remove some money or multi-access to “break free”.
Got the name of your deck : Queen Smoke - I want to break free :wink:

1 Like

Instead of the refracers, have you guys thought about just using cyber ciphers? They are crazy efficient and let you not run a million stealth set up cards. Just dagger or switchblade and ghost runner. I mean, cloak if you hate the runner, but just stealth killer and then lady or clip and ciphers. Mad cheap to get in basically anywhere, just make your multiaccess work for you!

1 Like

I have a decklist upthread that is exactly that.

1 Like

Here’s my Smoke deck, and it’s a bit weird. It has Rumor Mill for glaciers, Clot for FA, and Imp for asset spam. It uses Smoke’s smaller deck size to help out the Test Run + Scavenge combo to get you a cheap Torch, but those cards have other uses too. Each Test Run can give you double value from an Imp (install, use, put on top, install again) and then you can trash the Imp (with Aesop or by installing) to do it again. Scavenge can reset the counters on Lady (which is even more efficient than Blackstone) for free. The Ghost Runners might seem a bit overkill with Dagger as the only stealth breaker, but I like how you can use two credits from them and then sell them to Aesop. Parasite is a generically good card but you can cut it if you want to use the influence on something else (this deck originally tried to cram in a Corporate Scandal + Blackmail combo, but it didn’t fit).

Silver Smoke

Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net

Event (13)
3x Diesel
1x Rumor Mill ●●
3x Scavenge
3x Sure Gamble
3x Test Run

Hardware (9)
2x Akamatsu Mem Chip
2x Astrolabe
3x Clone Chip ★★★
2x R&D Interface

Resource (7)
2x Aesop’s Pawnshop
3x Ghost Runner
2x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (4)
2x Cerberus “Lady” H1 ★★
1x Dagger
1x Torch

Program (7)
1x Cloak
1x Clot ●●
1x Imp ●●●
1x Parasite ★ ●●
3x Self-modifying Code

1 Like

Something a bit different. This uses Dai V as the main icebreaker with Net Mercur to keep it going, though there are some ‘fixed strength’ breakers of each type to save on stealth credits as well as Escher to help out. There was enough influence to include a Siphon package, though this could be Parasites etc. if you prefer. It also uses Blockade Runner to help find stealth pieces and deal with redundant cards. Though, it might be better to cut down on redundancy to find room for more econ that’s not dependant on running, and possibly some Personal Touch to make the Dai V more efficient.

It’s Dai V, man. Open up!

Ele “Smoke” Scovak: Cynosure of the Net

Event (13)
1x Account Siphon ●●●●
3x Diesel
1x Escher
2x Planned Assault ●●●●
3x Sure Gamble
3x The Maker’s Eye

Hardware (6)
3x Clone Chip ★★★
3x Mirror

Resource (12)
3x Blockade Runner ●●●
3x Ghost Runner
3x Net Mercur
3x Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (8)
3x Dai V
2x Inti
1x Mimic ●
2x Refractor

Program (6)
3x Cloak
3x Self-modifying Code

Edit - apparently Scovak has a 40 card minimum, the above deck is 45. You could cut copies of redundant cards, but then you probably don’t need Blockade Runner, so it might be better to start from scratch.

I use Temujin Contract, Quality Time and 1 Mirror in my Smoke build, so I’m just saying, you could just go wicked hard on run econ, take out Blockade Runner, add another siphon and go nuts with that.

Also, I personally think mimic is a waste of influence with Dagger essentially being a STR 5 Mimic in Smoke, but I concede there are reasons.

1 Like

This is the list I have been playing with on JNET.

3 Cloak
1 Clot
1 Net-Ready Eyes
3 Temüjin Contract
3 Ghost Runner
2 Net Mercur
2 Mirror
1 Corroder
2 Modded
2 Beth Kilrain-Chang
1 Houdini
1 Switchblade
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Self-modifying Code
3 Diesel
3 Clone Chip
3 R&D Interface
3 Daily Casts

The gameplan is pretty straightforward. Build up your rig while making money with Temujin, draw cards or put credits on Net Mercur, Mod your expensive hardware or programs, steal agendas and win. The deck seems really really strong as far as pure running goes, as locking Smoke out of a server is nearly impossible, given the sinergy between her ID and the brokenness of Net Mercur (Shaper’s Desperado, imho). Card choices I am unsure about are tech slots: the last 4 influence can be 2 slums instead of clot and corroder. This leaves open the question of what barrier breaker it’s best suited for Smoke, I’ve tried both inti + Blackstone and while ok, I still prefer corroder for the lower install cost compared to Blackstone - while inti is primarily for resistor, wraparound and vanilla

3 Likes

Liking this list a lot. Econ is very robust, which one would think isn’t important for stealth, but it’s actually a huge deal for getting your rig setup in a timely manner and to compensate for no link.

Amidst a heavy FA meta, most of which omit Cyberdex in favor of more tricks, I’m pretty convinced the Clot-lock is stronger than ever, especially in a deck that can struggle against rush and FA like this one. If the Corps in your meta are still trapped in 2015, one SacConstruct seems smart here.

Against anything horizontal, have you considered Imp? It’s a bit clunky without Temujin support, but it can be invaluable to trash SanSan or Jeeves for cheap, as well as snipe kill/combo pieces out of hand. If you’re willing to stick with Blackstone/Inti as your fracter suite (read: wiling to go without Paperclip) it could be worth the 3 influence.

Speaking of influence, how is Switchblade going for you without Silencers? I’m of the opinion that having Dagger with Smoke’s ID lets you be more aggressive earlygame with SMC out while being less taxing on the stealth creds. Having a couple more influence free could let you run some Turning Wheels for HQ pressure or set you up for a huge R&D dig, but I can be swayed either way.

I also really like this list. I feel like it might want a Kati Jones and that you only really need x2 Clone Chips. An escher or film critic might also be nice but decklists are so tight. Great list.

In my testing i found Ghost runner to be unnecesary. Net mercur is pretty sweet. Data breach and Patron goes really well with mirror. This has to be my favorite runner that isn’t available at the moment ^^

2 Data Breach
3 Diesel
3 Dirty Laundry
1 Indexing
1 Networking

3 Clone Chip
2 Mirror
1 R&D Interface

2 Beth Kilrain-Chang
1 Film Critic
1 Ghost Runner
3 Net Mercur
1 New Angeles City Hall
2 Patron
3 Temüjin Contract
1 The Turning Wheel

1 Blackstone
1 Dai V
1 Houdini
1 Switchblade
2 Cloak
1 Clot
3 Self-modifying Code

How do you guys play against Jinteki PU/pe. WIth a deck size 40 my deck is gone very quickly. Net shield? Levy?

My guess is Levy, but its not like she runs that many events anyway?

I have 2 Levy right now (gulp). Seems pointless with my list but since this is a real problem in my meta…

Considering switching to event-based multi access and same old thing but doesn’t suit the list.