Taking Community Temperature on Faust

Welyand ice, less str more subs, better parasite fodder!

I like “do one brain damage” better, and it doesn’t drive every AI breaker out of the the game.

Seriously guys, Weyland version of Caprice that makes you Psi with trashing cards in hand instead of creds. Solves so many problems!

3 Likes

Unless the runner just spends 0 like in normal psi games, then it just puts the corp at an even bigger disadvantage.

#faustisfine

1 Like

35 Likes

But!

Note this:

RESEARCH STATION IS IN FACTION!

1 Like

So you can hold even more cards to discard them?

YOU ARE KILLING ME.

2 Likes

The thought behind faust is great. The execution was ham handed. Too much benefit for the cost.

Not to mention it rewards an already great strategy: drawing cards.

Conceptually interesting, in practice it is overly effective.

EDIT: Coming back to the game after not playing since June and seeing how widespread it is has me viewing this through a different lens. Between that and the mixed sentiments here I would say the card is at least worth examining. For those of you who adapted and built to win against it I can see how it would seem “fine”. I said the same thing about account siphon and astroscript.

1 Like

Leave my hopes and dreams. Take my agendas.

2 Likes

I specifically don’t play in tournaments because of speed concerns. Some of that could obviously be mitigated with practice, but I hate that it feels like I have to play rush decks to be competitive.

It’s really only a problem because Anarchs have (allthethings) in faction to make it shine: huge card draw, ice destruction, recursion in case a sneaky swordsman appears, etc.

It supports Solid Jank Play from other factions :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a huge concern, I agree. I think it should be addressed to the tournament organizers ahead of time. The big thing is that in big tournaments, it’s unreasonable to ask people to show up at 11am and stay until midnight as it is (and this happens frequently here).

If playing a slow deck, I would probably work on playing faster and notify the organizer that you are worried your deck will produce slow runners (because they just sit, think, sit, think forever). Ask for time warnings. IG, as one example, should be playable in a large tournament. It’s a phenomenally powerful ID.

Damage, and ICE that adds subs whenever a card is discarded during a run.

Riki Hayashi wrote about his experiments with chess clocks for MtG, and concluded they weren’t workable. Most of what he says seems like it would apply to Netrunner for the same reasons.

6 Likes

That actually doesn’t seem nearly as damning as I thought it’d be. “But what if you forget to use your chess clock?” is pretty weak since the same thing can and does happen in Chess, and most of the games where you get an unwarranted loss due to such errors are ones that would have given you an unwarranted loss because you were down 2 to 5 against a runner that you were going to flatline as soon as you drew scorch, but that runner kept agonizing over how many times to proco (and this time you lost by letting his procos run down your clock instead of his instead of running out match time to win on score). At least you had an option to remember to hit your clock and maybe win in that scenario.

Besides, if we can’t allow players who remember to perform an action that happens at certain times to get advantages over those that are more forgetful, then Desperado, Leela, Personal Evolution, and many more cards need to be banned from netrunner.

The shuffling issue is resolved by having both players shuffle and having each player time his own shuffling. If you want to insufficiently randomize to save seconds, then depending on the consequences of that your opponent can insufficiently randomize also so that the 3 agendas you just jackson’d clump on you, or spend some of his seconds sufficiently randomizing so that you can’t guess whether Lockpick and Refractor are still adjacent in your stack. Whichever.

The rules ambiguity on hitting the clock is hard sell to me, at least the way it would work in netrunner. “Why’d you push the clock on me?” “You can SMC for Imp before you access if you want to.” “Oh. I can do that even after ICE? Cool, I learned something new. But I don’t want to. click” “Ok”. Next time you just hit the button right away.

Valid points: it’s a pain in the ass, it’s stressful, it’s costly (one reason I think that matters for netrunner but not magic, if they were standard issue for Magic then WotC could get a manufacturing deal and produce them for a twentieth of the price of each players’ mythical-expedition-rare deck), it’s probably not fun, and while that level of hassle/stress/seriousness seems appropriate for World’s top table and seems like it’d be clear and easy to skip for GNK’s, it’s hard to identify an in between point for transitioning players over to it that doesn’t suck.

I still favor a “ladder day” tournament style as a solution.

I remember back before Faust was released but after it was spoiled people in my FLGS were dreaming up all sorts of jank involving Oragami and Duggar’s to feed it. Then I played on OCTGN against a Noise and went “huh turns out you just need Wyldside.”

6 Likes

The shuffling issue is resolved by having both players shuffle and having each player time his own shuffling

I see where you are coming from. But this would lead to corp losing time due to the runners Keyhole, making it even more annoying.
In addition I think insufficiently randomizing your deck is really close to flat out cheating just because of potential knowledge gained by Jackson or similar effects. Encouraging that just for the sake of time seems troublesome, especially with museum just being printed.

A clock would also create another (quite heavy) barrier for new and unexperienced players.
But I do not buy the cost argument for TOs. With everyone having smartphones, an app can solve that problem.

The biggest problem I have with this round time discussion is the general comparison to MtG. In Magic the timed rounds work fine because in a match you play each game with the same (slightly modified) deck against the same (slightly modified) opposing deck. The role each player takes in the match is obvious from the first few plays and does not change that much during the game or match.
In Netrunner identifying your role takes more time (my experience) and has to be done in both games.
Timing each game individually might solve this, but leads to other problems.

Even playing regular RP, I almost missed the cut (of a store champ I eventually won) because of time. Took a timed loss to an Apex who was locked out of r&d and remote, and Jackson drew into the winning agenda on the second to last turn in another game where a timed win means I miss the cut.

Guys, let’s stay on topic, Faust as it is.

7 Likes