Taking Community Temperature on Faust

IT Department shouldn’t have been printed. It’s either useless or ruins the game, there is no middle ground. D4v1d should have been an AI ICE breaker with a strength and cost to pump that was efficient but restricted to ICE over str 4.

Faust is dangerous to use for running through 2 or more ICE, but everything else ensures that doesn’t have to happen. I agree faust would probably be fine if d4v1d didn’t exist or was more fair.

2 Likes

Navi City Grid is coming at the end of the cycle, and that together with CVS will take a lot of the muscle out of faust decks.

1 Like

How does CVS + Navi City grid take muscle out of Faust decks? I can Navi City Grid stopping both datasucker and D4v1d from helping break into servers, but I’m not certain how much synergy there is with CVS.

Just saying that cvs already takes the sting out of datasucker, but yes navi does double duty here (but onLy on the one server)

1 Like

Here’s a suggestion. Errata Faust to make it a fixed-strength breaker, or maybe each card trashed only raises it by one strength. It wouldn’t be great, but AI cards aren’t supposed to be primary breakers.

2 Likes

Seems like a good idea. I’d think making it zero base strength would be best. However, a functional erratum like that would cause a lot a problems I think. The previous errata have all basically been clarifications.

1 Like

Errata is messy, and going beyond simple wording changes or adding a unique pip seems unlikely. We already have a solution to overpowered cards with the mwl, and I think Faust can be solved with mwl.

2 Likes

I prefer a straight-forward solution as well but I think it’ll take errata in the short term (as hate cards will take awhile to print). The typical Faust-abusing anarch deck needs to only drop 1 clone chip for a deja vu (or whatever, probably more cutlery) to cover that much influence. It’s not really going to affect much.

Dumblefork is a clone chip or two away from being a fair deck. Faust + wyldside on the list accomplishes this without resorting to bad errata.

Faust isnt broken folks.

8 Likes

I agree, Faust isn’t broken. It is powerful, but it is used in a wide variety of anarch decks across every anarch ID. This isn’t like Andysucker or Pre-Paid Kate, where a single ID dominated runner play, there are a variety of anarchs seeing a lot of play because of their current advantages in their card pool.

We also already know of some strong hate cards in the current cycle that will work strongly against Faust, although I will certainly agree that the current pace of releasing the Mumbad cycle seems very slow given how prominent Faust is in the current meta.

I have seen non-Faust runners do very well and win SC’s. There is variety among runners playing outside of Faust.

I think there are a lot of runners who will netdeck (it’s a good practice, no knock against it) and pick whatever the current hot deck is. Faust is both strong, and relatively easy to play, this is a very good combination to become popular. If it weren’t Faust, then there would be a different deck archetype that would fill a similar void, like PPVP Kate pre-MWL.

This seems like overstatement to me. Basically every card that’s been named as “good Faust hate” is extremely weak to the other cards Anarch packages along with Faust. None of the “how do we beat Faust” threads ends in “we did it guys, mission accomplished!”, they all end in “yeah but he’s got Parasite. yeah but he’s got D4. yeah but he’s got Mimic.”

I do agree thought that errata is not a good solution, and that MWL can fix this. But it’s not just “Faust on MWL”. When they killed PPVP Kate they didn’t do it with just PPVP on the MWL. Clone Chip, Lady, and Parasite went on as well. Typical PPVP Kate took a NINE influence hit from the MWL.

Faust on MWL plus any two of these four:
Wyldside, Chronotype, D4v1d, Datasucker
would do the trick…

2 Likes

Ugh, this crushes my little Anarch heart. Parasite and Clone Chip are basically part of the Faust rig, can’t we say those count towards the MWL total? Then just add Wyldside or Chronotype alongside Faust.

2 Likes

Lets just put 100 cards on mwl so that chess deck can become tier 1

14 Likes

So you want a single “silver bullet” card that you can put in your deck that definitively counters such diverse cards as:

Faust;
D4v1d;
Parasite;
Mimic;
Wyldside;
Adjusted Chronotype;
Datasucker?

That doesn’t sound like a problem with Faust being badly designed, but rather being disappointed with the Anarch faction having good (or even the best) cards!

I do wonder whether the Anarch playstyle as a faction is one that is not preferred among people who take tournaments seriously. Consistency and penny-pinching resource efficiency seem to be the aim of the game in looking for tournament decks. As a faction playstyle, Anarchs are the win big-lose big, poker-playing faction rather than the consistent puzzle-solvers (that’d be Shapers). When we had all PPVP Kate, all the time, there were worries about a lack of Runner diversity but I don’t think there was the same snobbishness about the playstyle itself being “unfun” or “not real Netrunner”.

3 Likes

The faust/d4/parasite/sucker/cutlery/medium/wyldcakes anarch lists are undoubtedly the most powerful in the game. However, what nobody seems to mention is they still suffer from #anarchproblems, just because you have all these wonderful cards you still need to find the right answer at the right time. In some ways this is what makes faust good because it partially solves anarch problems, but they still need the supporting cast. If you durdle as corp you will lose, but if you always maintain pressure on the runner whilst they are setting up you have a good shot. If these decks were broken they would be posting huge winrates but the general concensus is the runner has it 55:45 in their favour at the moment, and i think this will tend to 50 as the meta evolves and corps change their style. Also - the corp side just got a massive shot in the arm with palana, so lets wait and see i suspect there is no problem in the meta whatsoever.

5 Likes

The issue is that Anarch has gone away from faction principles and has become good at everything. Faust can get in places like a Shaper. Anarch has the economy that they didn’t have back in the core days, because that was suppossed to be their weakness. Besides, Faust doesn’t even need a strong economy. Plus they have more tricks than criminals. The issue really is Anarch. If Faust was a 3 influence criminal card, nobody would complain.

1 Like

Yeah, it was just an idea. I doubt they’d do it.

If Weyland/Scorch was a tier 1 strategy would people still be using Faust? I’m not sure they would…so we ban Plascrete, and the Faust problem will sort itself out. I kid, I kid, but seriously, is it because there aren’t any tier 1 flatline strategies, that Faust seems so abusive?

edit: spelling

1 Like

Patently false. Crim Faust would be even worse. In-faction tutor and Siphon T1 all day. It would be andysucker all over again, but with emergency shutdown and 3x inside job and crescentus to ignore ice you hate. You dont even need that much draw due to Crim tricks to avoid ice rather than paying for it. And drug dealer gets you free cards with economy you have excess of, without costing a click, and is more resilient to tag resource trashing.

2 Likes