What's up with Criminal?

I like it. This might single-handedly make Geist with B&Es playable again after Clone Chips cost too much influence. The drawing card bit might be too strong for 0 cost, or alternatively put it in Anarch for one influence, so Geist has to import it. Because who else is going to play that, right?

2 Likes

I think something like Special Order but for icebreakers in the heap would go a long way to making criminals function in the current environment.

2 Likes

It might be better as an event so it clogs your hand if you draw it early, similar to Levy. I think it’d be extremely powerful, but not in a bad way. I’d drop the draw, though, that’s just bonkers.

Here’s a list of all the programs with a trashcan ability:
crescentus
crowbar
davinci
deus x
disrupter
faerie
gorman drip
grappling hook
incubator
llds energy regulator
smc
sharpshooter
shiv
spike

It’s a lot more Criminal-heavy than I expected, though Shaper might love it for SMC and deus/shooter recursion.

That’s the most obvious choice, definiitely, but I feel like all Criminals could build around a card like this if they wanted to try out the B&E suite. Somebody with a thin stack, like Silhouette, could have a good 1/2 of their deck that was trashable programs and a bit of hardware, with the rest being really powerful run events and draw.

As for putting it in Anarch… bleh. Why does orange get all the toys? If anything make it a neutral with influence. :stuck_out_tongue:

Possibly, although I have a tough time making even more events for Crim… seems like that’s all they’ve got sometimes. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sidenote: Doesn’t work with Faerie… or with Copycat.

I agree with you about the draw being bonkers. I guess if you eliminated that part of the card though you could eliminate the click part of the cost as well, so you could just trash this at any time for the recycle and shuffle.

That could be really cool. Not being able to use it with Run events is a pretty big drawback, so the program would have to be exceptionally powerful.

It would be worth testing in shaper. It’s a strict upgrade on Diesel, which is ridiculous for Anarch or Crim to have.

Edit: Didn’t see the click cost to activate. No longer strict upgrade, but at 1 inf you would definitely see this in shaper.

2 Likes

I don’t think it hits enough programs for Shaper to be worth it. SMC, Deus X and Sharpshooter are the main suspects that come to mind, and two of those are situational, not sure recycling SMC is good enough to sacrifice influence+deckslots.

Because it’s the closest color to yellow on runner-side? :smile:

6 Likes

Well they could just make some neutral event and hardware recursion that criminal could use.

Or you could do it in a roundabout way - give criminal a workable event* tutor (maybe with some restriction that stops you getting and using account siphon the same turn) and then criminal decks now have 4xLevy and 4xTest Run. Don’t bring recursion into their colour pie but let them use recursion imports efficiently.

*Or even a universal one like Logos

1 Like

I’ve completely abandoned my reading comprehension skills today, I’ll have you know. I thought it shuffled hardware back in.

1 Like

lol. no worries. (also, it’s 3 inf, so definitely not an easy splash in Shaper).

That said, yeah, the draw is kind of an extra bonus that doesn’t need to be there.

A cleaned up version:

Keister - Criminal Hardware (3 influence)
0 install cost
Trash - Shuffle all programs with a (trash icon) from your heap into your stack.

Dropped the draw feature, as well as the click to activate. Short and sweet now… shuffle your B&E, Crescentus, Grappling Hooks, Deus X, Sharpshooter, and SMCs back into your deck and try to draw them quickly enough to be useful again. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Seeing some cards from Mumbad cycle, I am thinking that Criminal is going to go back to some of its denial/‘counter spell’ roots. Political Operative more than likely is going to be used to crack scoring remotes protected by defensive upgrades or assets that prove to be a problem like . While Councilman is a neutral, it is going to potentially in many Criminal decks to counter many upgrades or make the corp think twice before rezzing it.

Pros of Political Operatives:
+Trashes any asset or upgrade
+Requires only to pay Trash Cost, making it easier to take out a rezzed Caprice Nisei or Ash before encountering it.

Cons:
+Resource, so can be trashed by the runner having a tag or various other card effects (Corp Town, The All-seeing I, etc)
+Requires you made a Successful run on HQ. Can be Shut off with Crisium Grid.
+Potentially not instantaneous. Might require effects that expose a card and force a rez (Blackguard) to get into the server that turn.
+Cost money to trash it. Make sure you have some sort of stable econ to be able to react.

Pros of Councilman:
+Provides an instantaneous response to assets and upgrades.
+Being unable to rez it for the rest of the turn opens up a chance to take care of the asset or upgrade before it becomes a problem.
+Neutral: Can fit in any faction if they are looking to have a good response to those things.
+Can be a game winner if the server is protected with an Caprice and Ash being countered, provided you have the credits.
+Can be installed without having need for making a Successful run.

Cons:
+Resources, like mentioned before.
+Requires you to pay the Rez cost. May not be an con for some counters, but others maybe more expensive

Although this does not overcome their current weakness of being able to have a strong late-game economy, little to no recursion in faction (especially for programs), and no strong in-faction card draw. @MTUCache had an interesting card concept of limited recursion for programs which I liked.

I actually think this will be one of it’s main uses. Defensive upgrades are great, but using it on the offensive ones (Batty in particular) really make sure that once a breaker is out and you are able to protect it through conventional means (breaking Destroyer subs), than it stays out.

The Corp should have a window to rez and trigger Batty before the Runner can trigger Pol Op.

1 Like

I was thinking more of Councilman, but yes, you are right for PolOp. As long as Criminals can maintain an econ advantage, things will be very hard for the corp.

3 Likes

I think it will be too for Councilman. Anarch and Shaper are not more than likely going to see this since they have some sort of other way for recursion, but Criminal is definitely going to benefit from this and working with Pol Op.
Although they are going to need some other econ other than the usual run-based one. Meaning that they want drip econ or some other econ options like Kati Jones or import Magnum Opus.

To be honest, I’m relieved they are printing Political Operative. Without recursion, and already stretched for influence on breakers and R&D pressure, Criminal rigs are uniquely brittle Batty or Keegan trashing. I’m sure it will be used (and by other factions) mainly for Caprice and Ash, but Criminal needed this card if they are going to insist on lack of recursion to remain a Criminal staple.

Edit: Councilman, principally, not Pol Op. but both help.

2 Likes

Being honest, I lean more towards playing Shaper consistently, but I am glad Criminal is finally getting something that is going to bring them back into tournament level play potentially. Gets a little tiring seeing Anarch all the time and I am happy to see them get back into the game. Suggested that one still runs maybe another copy of an Icebreaker to be safe but it makes Criminal runners be more durable while being a great denial tool overall.

We will continue the Crim situation MWL over here: