About the trollish builds going up on NRDB

You’ve obviously never played a MOBA. :wink:

I’ll put it this way: Some of the more competitive players in the community STILL play jank and like to play jank… Just not at a tournament. There’s no jank-hatred as far as I’ve found, and all the comments, even the NRDB in Review column, are aimed at ‘This might be fun jank, but when it comes to a tournament…’ Elitist would be trying to say that it isn’t worth playing such a deck, or that you should put the toys away and play a real game.

1 Like

i saw Noah’s deck, i thought the writeup was pretty funny, especially the “I actually haven’t played this on OCTGN” and “TECH lord = TECHnical writer (connection?)” bits

i thought a couple of the troll lists posted were pretty funny as well

for those complaining that it is confusing to new players, consider this, from a player who started not so long ago: looking for competitive decks on netrunnerdb and having a plethora of absolute garbage thrown at you, heralded consistently as the most powerful deck that exists is also extremely confusing. it took me forever to figure out that it wasn’t me who couldn’t make these awful decks work, they were just awful decks. won a store championship, a regional, the author says it’s the best thing ever, front page, etc.

if this is a form of gatekeeping it’s pretty mild. when i saw Noah’s deck i couldn’t tell if it was a troll or a real thing, and i actually loaded it up and played a couple games with it. either way the writeup was funny to me. maybe i’m being kept out of the loop as well, but if people aren’t allowed to post lists like that because it might be misleading to some others, then start this decklist policing with the greatest offenders, like the apex build with an uninstall in it. i shudder to think a bunch of redditors/nrdbers will sleeve that thing up when it is on the front page tomorrow only to finish last place at a GNK and wonder how little they really understand about the game

4 Likes

I’m glad to see this being discussed, and I respect and appreciate the opinions of both sides.

Just to be clear on my end - I was referring to decks where the write-up is written in such a way that it is not obvious that the poster is being sarcastic. These decks also seem to have comment from players who are “in” on the joke, but they reply as if they think the deck is genuinely good. I did not refer to builds where the poster is not aware that his deck is not “top tier”.

Everyone are certainly allowed to do as they please, the web is free and open as it should be. Maybe I have a different view on this subject as I’m at the start of my Netrunner journey and am trying to improve my game. I just feel like the same time could be spent on something constructive for the community (will be glad for lessons if anyone’s offering :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

I wonder if we should start a thread like the streaming announcement thread where experienced players could say they are online and free to teach, and other players could hit them up for lessons/pointers/games.

5 Likes

You are in slack, just ask

2 Likes

That could be cool, maybe a Slack channel.
I don’t know if anyone will have the time and will be willing to do this, but such games could be streamed live or available as vod for all to watch and learn.

Will take you up on that offer.