Anti-IG stategy

I’ve had success with “standard” Noise WyldCakes builds that slot 3 IHW and 1-2 Injects instead of vice-versa, and just add in 2 AIs. You’re really only slotting the AIs as “tech,” and they help vs. other Museum decks anyway, so they aren’t there solely for Shocks in the bin. The card draw is never bad and helps alleviate the usual Anarch problems early. Familiarity with their options are key in deciding where and when to Run, and I’ll echo the sentiments above that hitting R&D is generally the best course of attack for finding Agendas. It’s never fun, but it’s doable.

1 Like

As a complainer who didn’t have much time for Netrunner lately, this thread is immensely helpful to me. While obviously I will still need to play against IG to have a decent shot against it (as with any good deck), it changed my mindset from “this will be annoying” to “this will be a challenge”, which is really all I needed.

18 Likes

I want to make a deck that’s able to make more than 9 creds a turn. Install a feedback filter, and laugh at that IG guy because I took his only winning condition away from him.
Just take creds untill you have enough to run safely on a central without risking any dmg from snares and such. The game will take ages but eventually you’ll win. If you keep a good credit pool they can’t even try to score out.

Decks that can do this.
-Drip econ sunny/kate/…: Get 6 drip, click 4 times or one kati
-au revoir: Get 12 creds a turn
-magnum with extra click by rachel or even akshara sareen might be good vs ig

Not competitive but pretty funny.

Also one net shield makes it a bit easier

2 Likes

Sorry, I honestly didn’t mean to sound catty or anything.

Just wanted to point out that “R&D lock” is a specific term with a specific meaning in Netrunner, and a really powerful strategy against corp decks that don’t ICE or barely ICE R&D - like IG! - except that it’s not possible here because shuffling breaks R&D lock.

I thought “strategy that seems good here and that you’re recommending, doesn’t actually work here” was worth calling out.

9 Likes

Additionally, “locking” R&D is done with the intent of preventing them from drawing agendas. For a deck that pretty much actively refuses to score agendas, a locked R&D is irrelevant.

2 Likes

Score notoriety. Then play out Magnum Opus, Net shield, and Feedback filter. Every turn click for 8, prevent 3 damage from bioethics, and prepare your argument for how playing to prevent net damage is not stalling for time, and you’re just building your 1 credit per turn until you have enough to safely spend a turn running R+D or trashing 4 cards.

Bonus points if you can spin the argument that the corp seeing how futile bioethics is at this point is the one stalling by not installing agendas.

5 Likes

Somebody doesn’t know how to Moby…

You’re not stalling at all. That turn takes less than 3 seconds; there’s nothing in the rulebook saying the runner has to run, it’s the corp’s job to apply pressure.

3 Likes

The corp isn’t stalling at all either. Nothing in the rulebook says the corp has to install agendas (just that they lose if they can’t draw).

Stalling by taking turns that prolong the length of the game, as long as not done by taking artificially slow play, is a totally valid move. I don’t know where the confusion arose about slow play, but the floor rules are pretty clear that it’s only how you take your actions, not what those actions are, that can ever constitute an infraction.

If the game declines into boredom of two players watching each other for an opening, that’s might be because clever game design mechanics were subverted.

4 Likes

This exactly is why these discussions are not worth it. Instead of being appreciative, people pile on on a small semantic mistake and ignore everything else.

Next time, I’ll just not post in this kind of threads. It’s tiring and doesn’t go anywhere.

Maybe I missed the pre degenerative stage of this thread, but it would be a crime not to mention Desperado if we’re talking about asset spam. Criminal burst and run econ is the best way of getting on top early, which is the only time you can. Additionally, multi server pressure is great: think Gabe, Noise with Lamprey, or Sneakdoor alongside medium or keyhole.

Other stuff I’d try is apocalypse with councilman, or just net shield.

2 Likes

Couple people have already said this, but I’ll say it again just to drive it home. Play with the deck you can’t beat. While playing, consciously think, “How do I lose right now?” Or “What got me to this winning position and how could my opponent have stopped me?” Questions like that help you make better plays and deck building choices.

4 Likes

i have been playing apoc kate a lot - against IG you really need a bookmark otherwise you will lose it to shocks

2 Likes

Hyperdriver is in your deck I’m sure, so why not just SOT the Apoc?

1 Like

Hades Shard also lets you run Archives without access, and Councilman for Hostile Infrastructure is nice too. You could PolOp it, but you still have to take the damage there.

Still, Bookmark is nice because it let’s you stash cards that will be good post Apoc and is potentially protection from flatlines on non-Apoc turns too.

1 Like

In my experience - the window to apoc is very small… once two infrastructures are online, it starts to be a real problem. I don’t think that IG is unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination - just that the game plan of apoc needs to be very carefully planned.

What are we fighting about in here anyway? Just give in, play Whizzard and slums. Remove the Ethics from game, and then laugh!

4 Likes

We’re not fighting, we’re crafting alternatives. I was interested if anyone had had significant success against IG, and if so, how they went about it. Whizzard is absolutely a viable option, I wanted to see if any Criminals or Shapers had has similar success, as those have a different playstyle and other powerful options in matchups besides Assetspam.

Apocalypse is a viable strategy if you run Councilman, as it forces them to rez their Hostiles preemptively. I generally use Apocalypse early, as simply setting them back to turn 0 can be devastating without trashing 15+ cards. I have once kept 2 I’ve had Worse in hand and tanked a Hostile to the face, but that was an exception rather than a strategy.

As someone who has played IG off and on since it first came out, and who is currently enjoying the fact that it can actually compete now, I can say that the two best suggestions in this thread are “slot film critic” (seriously, it is a very good card in many matchups), and “do not focus solely on a single central.” I can’t count the number of times I’ve single iced HQ and was able to store 4-5 agendas in there for half the game because they kept hitting RnD over and over again. As an IG player, you WANT them to focus entirely on a single central server, as explained above.

As soon as FC hits the table, half of my agendas are liabilities instead of enablers.

If a player is hitting RnD every turn, but also hitting HQ and/or archives every other turn, I am in a very precarious position. At that point, shuffling Snare!s back into RnD and having buttloads of money are the only recourse I have as I try to finish out the game before they find enough points to win.

You can certainly go beyond this, with slums/AI (which, in any deck relying on clot for other matchups is not a bad call), or even further with FF/NS… but at that point you are really teching for IG and not much else.

6 Likes

You could pay 3 influence to use Apocalypse and make 3 runs on three central servers to force IG to rez Hostile Infrastructure at a slightly different moment then they would prefer. Or you could just slot Slums and win???

1 Like

Agreed, but this is also a dicey proposition for the runner. Your first single access run (against a central) each turn is generally safe, but hitting a snare on click 2 or 3 can be game ending, depending on whats out there.

2 Likes