Anti-IG stategy

Yeah, I’m not completely sold on Bio-Ethics yet. It’s good, but I’m not sure how much it is obviously better than alternative killshots. I tend to build to the ICE limit (i.e. fifteen), slightly less asset-spammy than some decks and a bit more defensive hide-and-seek, and having tried out Valley Grid on centrals in a couple of games I think there might potentially be some mileage there in enabling the good old Ronin kill.

Don’t forget mumba temple. If it’s early game and they have one bio ethics and one mumba temple rezzed and not a ton of credits, you probably want to trash the temple because it will allow them to quickly rez more temples, bio ethics, hostiles, etc.

You might also want to trash Mumbad City Hall first if they don’t have many of their temples and museums out yet.

2 Likes

He’s always right.

After many deaths,as a Kate player (though not a good one) I started to somehow feel like what I should do about IG:

Early game is the weakest phase for IG.They need to set up,they don’t have much econ early,all their ICE other than Crick cost basically 5.Get some access and go aggro these phase.It’s rarely to die in this phase since 3 Snare is harder to find than 8-9 agendas in a 54 cards deck.Set up yourself for a decent econ (DC,ProCo) and trash some important assets (Museum/Jackson etc) if you can,since Archive is usually free to go.Only install necessary cards,every other cards is simply your health bar.

Mid game became harder for us.they finally have turtlebacks econ and certain set up,maybe lack a full Bio-lock.If you handled your econ well in early game,getting into Archive and use these money to trash some key assets.Always keep Jackson off the table and if better,force them to use Jackson.Packing your multi-access (RDI/Indexing/Film Critic/Legwork etc) since Museum allows you to access free cards.And it’s time to keep Deus Ex online to prevent sudden death and prepare for the Late game.If you can,trash some cards that might be hard for your late game to go on.I especially refer to Ronin.

Late game is the countdown to the inevitable death.It’s just too hard and too unwise to totally break their Bio-lock (as a Shaper it’s damn hard without Apocalypse).Calculating how many turns left before you die and use your limited resource to go big access like crazy to grab the final points you need.And actually you should go to check remote in this phase,in case a Chronos Project to completely lock the game.They basically don’t have anything punishing the facecheck other than Snare and Shock anyway.

So this is my little thought on IG as a normal Kate player.I’m of course not a good player and I know there are some negative trends on the forum.I felt this deck is just unfun to play against initially.But after so many lost and trying to figure out how to beat this deck,it turns out it’s still the classic Netrunner and I found myself quite enjoy the tense of these IG match ups.Just practice and practice,losing after losing,and trying to figure out how to play.

12 Likes

My advice is go after archives more often than you do, you don’t need every card to win, and you’re probably playing levy

1 Like

As an IG player I can attest that it’s rare for the runner to hit archives too often but common for the runner to not hit archives enough. If IG can get 2 or 3 shocks in the garbage fast it can be painful, but you need to trash some of their cards and the extra trash cost will pile up on your work compression faster than the cards lost to damage.

I find it generally isn’t the shocks that keep me off archives, but the hive/ashi that make it prohibitively expensive.

Played against IG in an upgraded GNK tourney with Noise. My anti-IG tech consisted of a Corroder to be able to kind of deal with Hive. That might be a mistake, since Hive costs so many credits to break it’s probably nearly always better to just kill it with Parasite and eat the Hostile damage. Hard to say after my first meatspace match.

It sucks if your Imps get Cyberdexed every time, and I couldn’t get rid of the Hostile Infrastructures before they became too opressive. It was reasonably close, but I’m not sure I see land in the matchup yet. Maybe I’ll try to mulligan for Lamprey or Wyldside instead of Imp.

Would Leverage be good anti IG prison deck tech? Either get immunity from damage for a couple clicks so you can run archives/kill their Hostile Infrastructures (and you can ignore Bioethics for a turn), or you get 2 bad publicity that you can use for trashing stuff.

6 Likes

I like the idea, but how useful is Leverage in your other matchups?

I’m ok with silver bullets that are at least okay in the non-targeted matchups. For example, I’m okay with Archives Interface in Noise, since farming datasucker tokens and checking archives without fear of CVS is always at worst okay for most of Noise’s other matchups. Against IG AI is a good silver bullet, and helpful in disarming other asset spam decks.

What does Leverage do for your deck in other matches?

I’d think the only types of matchups where that’s good is the “thousand cuts” style, since a burst damage deck is simply going to just wait until next turn to blow up the planet. Leverage + Black File could keep the corp from winning period for a turn or two… but that’s almost the definition of “long shot.”

Depends how many Net-Ready Eyes I install with my remaining clicks, right?!!?

Archives interface also works okay as anti-recursion tech in general. If you trash a Caprice or Jackson early, getting rid of them permanently is a good idea.

Slums in narrower, only performing the anti-recursion function, but it does so more efficiently.

I like you’re thinking! It’s good to have people check out old cards and re-evaluate for the current meta.

I don’t much experience with the match-up, but at a glance it does look like it will be helpful. May not be a terrible card in Criminal, even, as you said, if they take the BP (you can use those credits to offset the cost of trashing those assets). Probably most useful in a Medium deck, so you can really take advantage of the safe clicks you have. Although, the requirement for HQ run is a huge negative, because you only get a couple of clicks to be safe unless you really take advantage of that HQ run with a Legwork or something.

Sure, go ahead, throw a couple of them in a Criminal deck and get someone to test out some IG games and see how well it works.

4 Likes

Even using the window to run Archives safely might be useful.

Or find an extra click from somewhere, run HQ click one, Leverage click two and if they choose to negate damage run the other two centrals and Apocalypse. Well into the ‘tower of jank’ territory by then though! (But really every card should be looked at through the lens of “How can this help me apocalyse someone” ;))

1 Like

The way to counter it:

Buy into Game of Thrones LCG. :smiley:

8 Likes

Maybe the whole IG-asset spam meta was created by FFG as a way to push their big AGOT relaunch? If so, they’re evil geniuses! :stuck_out_tongue:

You’d still have to deal with overpowered red cards though :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Meta question: does Whizzard with Slums kill IG hard enough that people will just stop bringing it? (until they figure noone is bringing Slums anymore and IG is ok again)

I don’t think Whizz with Slums alone can do it. I’d honestly say that Employee Strike makes more of a difference. I found that it becomes a war of Cerebral Static vs Employee Strike, with Slums eventually eroding IGs win conditions. If Whizz takes too long finding Slums, though, IG can get to a board-state where Whizzard still has a very hard time winning.

I would imagine it depends on the deck. A defensive, higher ICE deck with Caprice on Archives ought to be better placed against Salsette Slums than an aggressive, low ICE wall-o-assets. But against Employee Strike it ought to be the opposite. They counter different tactics, they don’t counter an ID per se.