Anything is Possible: In Defense of 'Jank' Tournament Decks

I figured the statement was flippant enough that it was obvious I was kidding, especially since it followed my proclamation that a deck I had never seen or played was the best corp deck there is, which is why I continued with “for real though” to explain that I actually did think neh has cracks and bad matchups and is not as strong as it once was. I flubbed up if it read like a deadpan declaration that neh sucks or isn’t high tier since I don’t believe that.

2 Likes

Not “any corp” : if you can open a window with Junebug, AggSec or anything like this, the runner is screwed.

that is a very rigid definition of tempo and economy.

you also get to see the ice you will need to deal with, which lets you install to break just that ice in the most efficient manner possible. you don’t need to prep a sentry or AI breaker to face check and apply pressure, which saves money. you know which servers grant the cheapest accesses so that you can attack where the opponent is weakest, which saves money.

running servers is by far the most expensive aspect of Netrunner economy, not installing cards. Snitch lets you figure out where to up your access count most cheaply, while also giving you credits in return.

i think your math is a bit simplistic too. 1 click isn’t worth 1 credit or 1 card because of increased draw efficiency [diesel/qualitytime] and especially in the early game where you get 5 free cards.

3 Likes

I had only played Netrunner with my friend and online on occasion. I didn’t know my meta when I went to a store championship because I had never met or played anyone outside my friend IRL before. This forced me to consider every deck type I could face as a runner and a corp, putting together a deck that could survive anything. I won the 37 player store championship and I think I’m better prepared for regionals as a result.

Could I have won “harder” if I had made a jank deck against the local meta? Maybe. But I know I wouldn’t be as good of a player from it and I know I wouldn’t know what modifications I should make to my decks before going to regionals with them had I not played my future-regional decks in such a trying setting. I don’t know about you but I want good practice before I go to regionals, not the notoriety that I won a SC with a cute deck that doesn’t have a prayer against serious competition.

5 Likes

what’d you play ?

You’d better play Rielle / MO.

not nearly as strong in the late game.

2 Likes

I think you mean after the 14th run when you have those 3 Au Revoir + those runs with one of them…

Everybody knows that US meta is all the same, only Timmy makes the difference.:wink:

I’m happy with au revoire, ian, proffessor and other non-mainstream cards see some plays. Thanks to everybody doing this!

2 Likes

You had only played with a friend and online on occasion? Impressive to win a 37 player SC. I’d like to know more about the decks too.

I should clarify my poorly written sentence: I play with my friend a lot and I play online on occasion; I only have a work laptop so to play OCTGN I had to use a live CD of Ubuntu and install OCTGN each time, and it was buggy and crashed often on Linux, so I didn’t get many games in (currently can’t ever play runner on OCTGN).

My friend plays limited styles (he refuses to play FA) and prefers corp, so I played the popular FA decks to practice them so I could see how they work and understand them more. @moistloaf, my decks weren’t anything revolutionary: I played my take on stealth Andromeda (I only have one core set and my friend has one too, so with two desperado, in addition to other changes based on my preference) and my RP deck which has been my evolving baby since the RP identity came out.

My Andromeda deck went 5-1. Wins against Blue Sun, Killteki, NEH astrobiotic, 2x a different PE deck. Loss to an RP grail when I dumbly ran R&D and hit a fetal with one card in hand.

My RP deck went 6-1. Wins against Noise, Valencia, Andromeda, Whizzard, and twice against the same Leela deck. Loss was to a Whizzard deck that got a great start on me and I made some really bad decisions that were legitimately due to nervousness in the new environment (whereas my other bad decisions were just bad that I have hopefully learned from).

2 Likes

I assumed you were playing Tier 1. The OP brings a legitimate angle, but playing strong decks well will always be better than trying to trick the meta, IMO. Grats on your win, that’s a large SC and your first competitive event, very impressive.

2 Likes

Keeping up with @tmoiynmwg is almost impossible, but I did it on Saturday with this and this. Both those decks are rather terrible but still held their own against some decent players out here, which I think shows that a lot of the time it’s not the jank deck that matters, but who is piloting it.

1 Like

It’s hard to know what your meta is if you can’t go to the regular game evenings (due to a tight schedule) and just have to play on OCTGN that mostly has US players, whereas I live in Europe. :frowning:

1 Like