Article on Concerns about Competitive Play

I think the hope that constructed tournament play will ever deviate from highly tuned net decking is probably unrealistic. I’ve found that this tends to be self correcting… in between major tournaments, its considered bad form in my meta to show up rocking PPVP / NEH, unless you explain that you’re testing / training for something big…

However, if you want to facilitate organized play that avoids net decking - you have to change the rules. Hoping that someone makes sub optimal plays (either from a deckbuilding or from a game play perspective) for the “enjoyment” of the game is just not realistic. This isn’t a roleplaying game.

However, formats with alternate rules help shake that up:

• The format at today’s KoS format should force a diverse meta. You’re still going to see net decks, but at least you’ll see at least 4 different corp net decks… and if you want to play jank you can choose to be the Weyland dude.

• Cube drafting

• Regular drafting

• The Core + 6 Expansion deckbuilding restriction - this would probably also get net decked eventually, but it does shake things up.

• Build decks at the tournament - instruct everyon to show up, and then randomly make 1/2 of the data packs illegal.

• Achievement leagues

1 Like

Just my anecdotal contribution:

I skirt the line between competitive and casual. At heart I am an extremely competitive person, but I recognize that my desire to win is disproportionate to the amount of time I invest compared to others and thus never feel entitled (for lack of a better word) to placing high in tournaments. While many of the regulars in my local meta are objectively more dedicated to Netrunner (eg: actively involved in this community, attend almost every local tournament, form cliques amongst themselves to practice and playtest together), I’ve noticed myself feeling resentful at times for feeling ‘excluded’ from conversations and discussions by the ultra-competitive players as if my opinion/presence is less valuable because I don’t share the same accolades.

I don’t think this is a phenomenon unique to Netrunner - I’ve been involved competitively in lots of activities across the years and noticed similar behavior. Within communities, social hierarchies form as like-minded people band together to protect their interests and legitimize their behavior/existence, and it’s always something I’ve persevered during my attempts to find my way into those ‘inner-circles’ to enjoy the benefits that come along with it: recognition, respect, increased support and knowledge-sharing.

The scenes where this has tended to play out the most are ones where money is a big factor. In my experience, automotive racing is the most clear-cut example. Individuals with more resources often can’t be bothered by those with less because they are a distraction, a nuisance, or at worst: a threat. Witnessing that behavior is always frustrating, as I think it limits both sides from growing and rising closer to their true potential.

The most obvious manifestation of this behavior in my mind is the amount of herd mentality in deckbuilding - only those with competitive merit have a strong voice in influencing those below them, as they possess the chops to win and therefor their chosen cards are deemed ‘the best’. This is a bullshit way of a thinking and bothers me to no end, and would love to see people continue to push back against this and explore deckbuilding as a form of art and expression, rather than means to an end (winning tournaments).

3 Likes

This resonates for me and I just wanted to say that if you (or anyone else reading) is in my local meta and feels like it’s too cliquish, let me know! I’m trying to do a better job keeping everyone in the swim together and more voices with different interests and perspectives is always awesome.

3 Likes