BBTL 4 starts on September 8

The fourth round of TheBigBoy Teaching Deck League will begin September 8.

It is an open Elo league in which players organize their own games and play as many or as few as they like. This topic will be where I post updates about the league. Here are a few guidelines and links to resources.

How long does the League run?
It starts September 8 and ends on October 6.

If the top four finishers agree, I will organize a Top Four playoff at the conclusion of the League.

Can I still join?
Yes. Registration for The Bigboy Teaching League is open for sign up at any time.

Register by signing up at The Challenge Board. Password for the board: thebigboy

How can I organize a game?
You can post an open game on Jinteki.net with the title: Teaching League Game. If someone joins, you should ask if they are signed up for the league because you cannot report results if they are not in the league.

The best way to organize games is by joining the Slack channel dedicated to the league where you can post requests for games. Here is the link to that channel. If you need an invitation to Slack, use this link.

You may also organize games via any other means you find convenient.

Players are encouraged to play two games with each opponent (one Corp and one Runner) each time they play, but this is not required. Single games still count toward the League.

What Decks Can I Play?
Legal decks for this League are the teaching and learning decks published by Abram Jopp (@TheBigBoy) on his Web site. Here are link to the decks:

Gabe
Kit
Whizzard

Engineering the Future
GRNDL
Personal Evolution
Spark

Jopp’s notes and advice for playing these decks can be found here. For this league, Andromeda is being replaced by Gabriel Santiago. Jopp’s notes for playing Gabe will be linked here when posted.

His notes for the Jinteki deck can be found here

You can transfer these decks into Jinteki by clicking on the “Export” button at the top of the decklist and copying the list into the Jinteki deck builder.

Are there any resources to help me play well?
Here are links to some videos that might give you some helpful pointers on effective game play.

How to play Netrunner by Team Covenant

Game Vocabulary by Willingdone

Runner Play by Willingdone

How Corporations Win Games by Willingdone

Tournament Play Tips by Ben Ni

BBTL 2 Semi-final with commentary from Abram Jopp

BBTL 2 Final with commentary from Abram Jopp

BBTL 3 Final with commentary by a fellow BBTL participant

Finally, here is a link to Episode 11 of the great Netrunner podcast Run Last Click, the episode that @thebigboy says changed his entire understanding of Netrunner and will change yours as well.

Can I change decks between games?
Yes. Each player can select a new deck each time they play.

Where do I report results?
The winner of each game should report results to The Challenge Board. Make sure to get the Challenge Board ID of your opponent from them, as some people do not use the same ID on Jinteki and the Challenge Board.

Optional: If you want to help me in a data collection experiment, you can also report game results to this Google Form where I am trying to gather information about match ups during the league.

What if I have other questions?
Please direct them to me (@FightingWalloon) here or on Slack.

Good luck and have fun!

6 Likes

I highly recommend anyone interested in improving to join this league.

As for myself, I’ve now placed Top 4 in this league twice in a row, so I’ll be bowing out. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I echo @CrushU’s comments, this league is a great way to get games in a restricted meta and improve your understanding of the game. Whether you’re brand new to Netrunner, have played a little and want to expand your game, have played a lot and just want to play fun, competitive games without being too “serious”, or are a competitive player tired of some of the current T1 decks and want to try playing something different as a challenge - this league offers that.

As always, big props to @FightingWalloon for organising and running these leagues (and the many others he seems to always be promoting) , it’s a great service to the Netrunner community.

2 Likes

BBTL 4 starts in 2 days. You can still join.

Invite your friends.

Meta Report from BBTL 4.

We have had just under 60 games reported and 15 active players in BBTL 4. Here are the results for each ID, so far this round:

Gabe 9-3

• ETF 7-0
  • GRNDL 1-2
  • PE 1-1
  • Spark 0-0

Kit 18-12

• ETF 5-2
  • GRNDL 6-9
  • PE 3-1
  • Spark 4-0

Whizzard 5-8

• ETF 1-1
  • GRNDL 3-4
  • PE 0-1
  • Spark 1-2

Corp Overall

ETF 3-13
GRNDL 15-10
PE 4-4
Spark 2-5

ETF and Whizzard are both struggling toward Netrunner retirement it seems. Have fun in the last couple weeks and good luck out there.

1 Like

I really love the idea of this and would like to play the decks at home. Has anybody else issues opening the decklists on netrunnerdb? I get an error page everytime I’m clicking on one of the links. Any help is much appreciated.

I suspect this is because of an unrelated problem on NRDB related to deck sharing and stealing.

Unfortunately, the decks are hosted as private decks and right now it appears there is a problem with accessing those. Hopefully, that will change in the near future.

2 Likes

Would it be okay to Publish my personal copies of those lists, @TheBigBoy ?

I’ll do it.

2 Likes

Thanks, people. That would be great.

In the first three editions of the BBTL, we have had 445 games reported via the Google Doc that I set up to collect results. Here are the total win/loss results for each ID across all three BBTLs.

Win-Loss By ID

Andromeda 23-18

• ETF - 7-3
  • GRNDL - 5-2
  • PE - 2-11
  • Spark - 9-2

Gabe 15-26

• ETF - 3-2
  • GRNDL - 3-13
  • PE - 4-7
  • Spark - 5-4

Kit 92-129