Codex by David Sirlin

How long does each game take with this? 15, 30, 45, 60 mins? More?

I played the PnP copy once with @sneakysly at Worlds. Itā€™s a good game and I kickstarted the Core set with only one play. And I say that even though Iā€™m not much of a Sirlin fan, though I understand that opinion might get me beaten up on here so I wonā€™t say more.

Codex I think punishes you for not knowing/tracking your opponentā€™s cards very well-- and with so many cards being played itā€™s incredibly easy to get overwhelmed (analysis paralysis).

Sirlin did a great job making an RTS-type game. I think he oversells the ā€œfog of warā€ aspect, but the patroling mechanic is interesting and makes for clever decisions.

4 Likes

First Purple spec just got revealed.

1 Like

Second to last reveal.

1 Like

In the comments for the Kickstarter, thereā€™s a ā€œJorgen Grondalā€ also from Norway, doing one of the group buys to Sweden, maybe you could get in on that if you post there.

EDIT: I really like this game BTW. I like Netrunner a lot but I get frustrated with the designs of a lot of cards where theyā€™re only good against one deck and you have useless garbage in your deck in other matchups, as with most CCGs. Codex is kind of between there and a board game so itā€™s a breath of fresh air.

1 Like

Iā€™ve played this game and itā€™s really good, I definitely recommend it. Itā€™s basically the best parts of Magic and Dominion combined.

2 Likes

I might just do that, thanks! Now Iā€™m a bit sad that I didnā€™t know of this earlier - Iā€™m not buying the deluxe without playing the game, even if I really want it. Core is still an option!

The Protoss, I mean future spec, is here!

Canā€™t do the fancy image thing from my iPad, sorry.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking at the printā€™nā€™play option - does anybody know how many sheets Iā€™m looking at?

The Starter is 14 sheets, and Iā€™m guesstimating 10 sheets for a full faction, plus about 6 sheets for the generic components (no tokens, though).

I played a ton on Tabletop Simulator over the weekend with a friend.

The game is really interesting, and hard. The learning curve is really steep. Iā€™m looking forward to playing more.

2 Likes

I played a few games with @bluebird503 over the weekend and had a blast! Definitely going to be printing out print and play versions until the physical copies arrive.

1 Like

You donā€™t find TTS to be a better way to play than printing out? I think it would be cool if there were a community to play with on TTS.

Looks like another great game with no one to play it with :confused:

6 Likes

I just donā€™t have TTS yet, I might try that out.

do i understand correctly, that eventually along the road, i can buy expansions and have all the stuff from deluxe set? i found it hard to justify paying deluxe price, yet wanna collect all cards if game will be worth it.

Yes, I believe you could just get the core set now and then eventually the other factions will be released in expansions.

1 Like

All of the game cards, yes. (Starter + Core + 2x Expansions) However, the Collectors edition comes with Map cards (for variant play) that wonā€™t be available anywhere else. Also, Iā€™m not sure if the custom tokens will ever be printed outside of the Kickstarter. I havenā€™t done that much research.

1 Like

So I pledged for the deluxe set, because Iā€™m dumb. Iā€™ve played almost a dozen games on TTS so far and the game is fun. Let me know if youā€™d like to play.

2 Likes

How deep is it compared to netrunner? I tried the starter set yesterday, and Iā€™m not sure how I liked it. I think it might be good, lots of decisions, but it was hard to see how those decisions affected the game. Like, I teched for Harmony one game and it fizzled vs the bashing units, and the other game I almost managed to turn around with Final Smash but got overrun by vituosos.

It hints at hidden depths, especially in 3v3, but itā€™s hard to know. I want to print out the entire set, but thatā€™s not free and quite a bit of work.

1 Like

You mind showing it to me sometime?