Exploring a Stalling Metagame: Nasir Meidan StimShop by El-Ad David Amir

i like the title. it kinda contradict itself. either its stalling and no room for exploring. or its unexplored, but then it proves most players are lazy and cant build decks other than netdecking.

Not promising anything, but Iā€™ll take a look at cooking something up about Prof. Pretty sure heā€™s more close to competitive now than he was during last Regionals (because of how essential all of Mimic, Parasite, Imp and David seem to have become for Shapers), and Iā€™ve enjoyed decent success with him then. Earthrise and Incubator could very well be the missing pieces.

2 Likes

I feel like winning with Prof is possible but never optimal. I was in the camp of ā€œthought he would eventually be goodā€, but I feel like the lack of deck space to utilize all of your influence is sort of a limiting factor. There are only so many programs you can jam into a deck.

2 Likes

This removes your ability to deny Blue Sun their OAI credits, and also makes Taurus a much larger threat to your RDI and Plascretes.

1 Like

With IT Department around D4V1D is starting to look essential.

2 Likes

Thoughts on the effect the new O&C ice will have against Nasir? They seem made for each other, at least thematically speaking. A cyber-explorer charting Asteroid Belt is pretty cool flavor. The rules describe Nasir not getting full credits for ice rez cost if the corp can reduce the rez cost through ā€œabilities that reduce the rez costā€ (direct quote from updated FAQ), which I would assume apply to constellation ice, is unfortunate, but curious, and I wonder about whether these ice will encourage Nasir PW like yours to become more prevalent.

Would be painful to give up on D4v1d versus Tollbooth and Blue Sun. Also I heard that IT Department is killing Netrunner and D4v1d is a potential answer.

I agree. I think it was Mr. Frog who said that you can always take a Prof deck and improve it by going down to 15inf and using Kate?

Iā€™m quite worried about that. If constellation ice becomes popular Nasir could be in trouble. Getting three or zero creds out of an Asteroid Field rez will hurt. On the other hand, if you pressure the Corp into rezzing them for six or nine, youā€™re a happy camper. Testing will be needed.

2 Likes

Nahā€¦ it just means exploratory romp will become mainstream =P

Oracle May/Program deck maybe? :wink:

1 Like

I know youā€™re joking, but even if that were a good idea, the Prof can only pack 1 May and no tutors for her. =/

You could theoretically recycle them with Deja Vu, but Levy AR Lab Access + stupid card draw is probably the better way.

Thatā€™s only true as long as you can realistically cut the influence down to 15 without compromising what the deck is trying to do (and/or turning too many matchups into nightmares by cutting the answers you had for 'em). Kate just gives econ (and link, being pseudo-econ), which can be gotten in other ways. Extra influence, not so much.

Iā€™ve been playing this deck online a bunch since the article went up. Itā€™s a blast to pilot, and feels like in the right hands it can be tier 1. Thanks @IirionClaus, itā€™s clear youā€™ve put a lot of work into every card choice and every major matchup. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I second this; in many ways this feels very close to what I was reaching for with my own stumbling Nasir decks, but a few of your insights here really feel like theyā€™re smoothing out the kinks and making this the ID to be reckoned with that Iā€™ve always suspected it could be!

Great write up, lovely insights, really, really looking forward to more from El-Ad!

yeah I need to start playing this soon. I have felt for awhile that Nasir is a sleeper hit, incredibly powerful but largely untested and thus unproven. This list should be the definitive stepping stone for any player looking to try something new and probably win a lot. IMO Nasir has the strongest economy of any Runner, and he gets it without playing a single card.

Biggest problem with Nasir right now is that his powerful ability is muted by the standard NEH build that uses very low cost ICE. The other super strong corp, RP, often has a lot of Pups and Quandarys which can hurt. In these cases what you give up (continuing financial security) is not offset by a tremendous early game economy. If the low-cost ICE rush deck loses steam due to Clot or something like that, then I think Nasir is going to look a lot better.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œOmer_Rotstain, post:22, topic:2609, full:trueā€]
Off topic a bit, but is anyone planning on making a similar write-up for The Professor? (or if someone already has, then a link would be nice.)[/quote]

Iā€™m writing one up for Exile, since Iā€™ve been playing him exclusively for the last two months or so. I think I have an original build.

I really like Nasir, so Iā€™ll put this on the top of my play list (itā€™ll be about 5th in line, though - I have tons of cool decks to try).

On first glance, I donā€™t really see the appeal of Stimhack, since its money disappears as well and it uses up extremely valuable influence that could be used on Xanadu, Parasite, or Crescentus. I completely agree with 3 ghost runner, though. NAPD is really important to be able to steal.

Edit: It can be a series!

1 Like

Iā€™ve been thinking a lot recently about publishing my Ken Tenma deck that Iā€™ve been playing and tweaking since honor and profit. I did exceptionally well with the deck at the Durham regionals ending up in 10th place (I would have placed higher but I was experimenting with a new corp) and Iā€™ve become known locally as the the go to guy for Tenma. I had planned to get some store championship wins in soon and then publish. My main concern is that Iā€™m afraid people will not get my deck design because itā€™s very much tuned to my own personal needs, my friends have refered to my deck as a ā€œshock collarā€ that is difficult for them to play, itā€™s very aggressive but punishes you for making mistakes.

Iā€™d very much like to write a piece for Stimhack, who should I contact?

Thereā€™s a clue in the title of the article - this is a StimShop deck. The idea is to get Personal Workshop out with ~9 creds worth of stuff on it before you use Stimhack. Then the money is never wasted :slight_smile: