Exploring a Stalling Metagame: Nasir Meidan StimShop by El-Ad David Amir

Femme has always been great in Nasir. My early builds ran 2, at least. I’ve been running it over Mimic in most MWL lists. The other option is subbing in Crescentus spam over Parasite spam. Probably in a big rig build that can use the extra cash to build a scary endgame.

1 Like

It seems like @JonathanJones is taking a different tack; using Nasir for early cash and then bypass troublesome ice in the late game. Parasite spam looks good with Faust.

Going to test out the NexusFemme deck first. Test Run/Femme is a decent Inside Job proxy.

For Nexus Nasir to work, you need to play it differently from regular Nasir. You need actual economy and can’t rely solely on your ID and recurring credits. You don’t need as much econ as a regular runner, but you need some. MO is a popular choice, I personally prefer Armitage since it’s cheaper to install and I usually don’t need more credits than three of them provide. I also include Underworld Contacts to help out. You never need to worry about dumping all your credits thanks to Sec Nexus, so you can float all those credits you usually couldn’t. Taking a tag doesn’t matter as much, because you have a much more stable source of economy compared to regular Nasir. If you can’t beat the trace, then you’re playing Nasir way too traditionally (aka, broke). I haven’t been running Femme yet, as I’ve been having plenty of use with regular breakers, but it could definitely do work.

So what happens when you trace to bypass a Tollbooth only to run into a Pop Up?

1 Like

wokka wokka wokka

1 Like

I mean, Tollbooth costs 5/7/8 credits to break with CyCy/Gordian/Zu, so either:
a) it’s just been rezzed, and you have the cash to get through it paid for by the Tollbooth itself. (with some left over to beat the next trace if you aren’t using zu)
b) it was already rezzed, and you know there’s an unrezzed piece of ice behind it so you should save the sec nexus for that mystery ice and only run once you’ve built up your credits for the tollbooth. (which won’t take super long with MO / armitage)

I mean it’s not a great situation, sure, but it’s not the end of the world. You could also unload a Parasite / Femme off of Workshop to just forget about the Popup, too.

Still playing around with @JonathanJones’s deck (couple of small changes*). I’m really liking it - the Femmes, link and Nexus handles a lot of ice.

The question is, as always, is it better in Nasir? I just started tracking the amount of credits Nasir has gained, and over two games it’s 3 credits and 5 credits. That kinda implies that it’s “Better in Kate”.

Given that the deck replaces one downside (losing all credits to an Ice Wall) with another (you have to use Nexus on Ice Walls), how many credits should Nasir gain before he’s worth it over Kate?

*-1 Plascrete, -3 Quality Time, -1 Utopia, -1 Stimhack, +1 Trade-In, +3 Earthrise, +1 Clot, +1 Deus Ex

Utopia vs Clot is debatable, but Earthrise over QT is IMHO a given for Nasir.

Regarding the “better in Kate”-thing. Originally I built this as a Kate deck but since I wanted instant Femmes from a Workshop, her ability become a lot less useful since I was dumping almost everything on the Workshop anyways.

Regarding your changes, having a Trade-In is certainly nice, but I think the deck is lacking the targets, aside from Plascrete there is no Hardware in the deck that is situational. You always want as many Interfaces and Rabbit Holes as possible. There most likely is some other interesting piece of hardware you mind find deck slots for by going to two-off with some of the events.

Dropping a Stimhack is probably fine and Clot is a good addition, but without instant speed recursion I don’t know about this. I might still give it a try.

Earthrise might be better long-term. but Quality Time allows you to find your Workshops faster, which is crucial to maintain pressure in the Early-Game. I might have to try your variant, though I think about including more card draw anyway, so maybe instead I might toss something else for Hotels.

Trade-In supposed to be a fail-safe, in case you don’t find Nexus - and if you need that plascrete, it can fetch that instead. Saccing a Rabbit Hole to find that Plascrete is worth it against Butcher Shop, and if you don’t fear the kill Plascrete can be traded in. There are no good targets for Trade-In, but as a failsafe you should accept an okay target.

Good point on the Stimshop part, and Workshop works well with Femme. I guess the question is more how it compares to regular Nexus Kate - it has many of the same strengths, does the Femme Spam give it enough of an edge?

[quote=“JonathanJones, post:529, topic:2609”]
Regarding the “better in Kate”-thing. Originally I built this as a Kate deck but since I wanted instant Femmes from a Workshop, her ability become a lot less useful since I was dumping almost everything on the Workshop anyways.
[/quote]I don’t want to be flip (warning: I’m about to be flip) but it honestly doesn’t even matter if you aren’t using kate to the best of her ability, or if you’re using her at all (which, c’mon, you’re gonna use her ability. it’s almost impossible to completely avoid). What matters is if your list can justify the significant drawback that is just “being Nasir,” which, well… I don’t think any list justifies it now (thanks MWL).

as @ulrikdan mentions, I think most of the time you’re not going to gain much given that nexus needs to float credits before a run (unlike older Nasir builds that would almost exclusively run on or very close to zero). given that Kate can hardly sneeze without earning 5-6 credits during a game, Nasir needs to be earning big to justify slotting him in.

Although I mostly agree, I want to note that Nexus does mitigate Nasir a bit, even if you don’t float money - if you know you’ll lose the trace, triggering Nexus prevents the ice from firing. You can still fish for credits with Nasir, at the cost of a potential tag if you hit something nasty.

I got ~4 credits from Nasir in a couple of games yesterday (net), and I think I can do better if I facecheck more aggresively. Going to test it at least.

If you can dump creds on something, it actually doesn’t seem that bad. Especially if you run Workshop. Dump your cash in to accelerate your rig and then click opus up.

Opus normally is terrible in Nasir, but with Sec Nexus and x1 run a turn you can pull it off pretty well.

With that said he isn’t better than Kate in most match ups, especially NBN.

How do people feel about Corporate Scandal? Business First is “on the boat” according to FFG. Bad pub is REALLY good for funneling cash into Personal Workshop, so that might do some work for Nasir (and also help with trashing and traces). Investigative Journalism would be pretty easy to import as well to stick it permanently, giving him much needed econ for the long-term. The Blackmail would also do well to help him out if you have a decent amount of credits and don’t want to lose them all to a popup.

I don’t think the bad pub is enough to help him set up against fast decks, where he needs the most help. I could see Blackmail helping against Ash, but Councilman will do the same thing and it’s not unrezzed ICE I worry about as Nasir.

So is Rebirth going to help Nasir? It could be nice to grab money for the early game rezzes and then turn off the ability, but Shaper isn’t exactly swimming in great ID powers. Kit is the obvious one, of course.

For Nexus Nasir she’s not so obvious. The deck runs Zu (not too good) and Kit kinda nonbos with Nexus, plus she has 0 link. Jesminder, maybe, but you still lose that link. Is Rebirth into Kate worth an influence and a card slot?

• Haley’s/Kate’s ability competes with Nasir’s.
  • Kit is nice, but best in the early/mid game.
  • Jes is a fine response to some yellow decks.
  • I guess CT is an akamatsu?!

Yeah, I don’t see a reason to run it in Nasir.

Anyone cooking a Nasir build? I know that the loss of clone chips galore was probably a big hit, but we got artist colony and fan site. Seems like being able to pull whatever BS you want from your deck with your cash would be more important than heap recursion. I wonder if there’s anyway to merge Tumblr Hayley with Nasir, and actually get a tangible benefit.

2 Likes

I want to return to this, so I’ll probably bring a version to our local game night tonight and let you know how it does. Not sure what build I’m going to grab, but it will play the new stuff you mention: fan site/colony. I think Nasir needs to splash Faust, sadly, as he has such trouble with other things. I’ve been pleased as punch with ProCo in Kate, so maybe I’ll try that, too, or Cacheshop. Or both? I’ll just jam all the things in it.

I’ve been trying hard to salvage Security Nexus Nasir, but I just can’t make it happen like it used to - you just can’t afford the Parasite recursion while also keeping Nexus, and parasuckering down ice was a big way it stayed so effective. I was thinking of fiddling around with Corporate Scandal, as Workshop definitely loves Bad Pub, but it’d need Blackmail and probably Investigative Journalism to really make good use out of it, and that’s a decent amount of deck slots + influence. Maybe there’s a good build hiding in there somewhere? The trick is finding one that doesn’t just work better in Kate / Hayley / CT / Kit / Jesminder

Badpubshop? Activist + Investigative Journalism with FS+AC to tutor the IJ’s as needed…use that cash on workshop, allowing blackmail? Not sure why its better out of nasir than any other shaper, but hey it could be good right? Right?

Honestly though, what about stealth???

1 Like