Feeling Blue About Blue Decks

An ideal first andy turn is career fair (temu), desperado, run, laundry. Always try to install desperado as soon as you can.

3 Likes

In this ideal situation decision is indeed simple. But situations where you have only Temujin and Desperado (so you cannot install both before doing any runs) are more interesting. Let’s say you are Leela and your starting hand is Temujin, Desperado, Legwork, Faerie, Tapwrm - what to do depending on which servers have been iced turn 1.

2 Likes

Assuming there’s a single un-iced server, Temujin -> run Temujin seems correct for at least the first two clicks. From there it’s a debate between dropping Desperado and running Temujin again, or just running two more times. The latter is probably reasonable, especially since if you’ve targeted Archives or a less important server, they may not even bother to place ice on it that early just to deny you a few more Temujin runs. Then next turn would look like, Desperado, run, run, Tapwyrm.

3 Likes

It depends quite a lot on what deck and faction you’re facing, too. Against ice-light, fairly face-check safe factions, Desperado is correct. Against decks with large amounts of ice, ice that hurts to facecheck, or HHN and a good economic start, it’s better to get the value.

Temujin is a card that really encourages and rewards good decision making on the part of both players. It’s maybe a bit powerful, but the overall design is really good.

5 Likes

Yeah, if you can force them to rez something you don’t normally want to pre-rez, such as a SanSan City Grid, and then trash it before they use it, that’s also a successful siphon.

1 Like

Hypothetical - had Aaron Marron been “Spend a counter: Remove a tag or draw a card” would people be less likely to run him? Or is it just that he can do either and has such powerful flexibility (plus an auto-refill when the opponent tries to score)?

He’d still be bonkers good. A more powerful nerf would be if he got 1 counter per agenda, so he doesn’t counter Breaking News 100% of the time or allow a click 4 siphon if a single agenda has been scored.

1 Like

Does Hunter Seeker mean Crim has to run multiple copies of its breakers from now on?

Not necessarily, they might prefer Sacrificial Construct or Film Critic.

Mostly yes, but I don’t think it’s the end of the world for Crim. Before Paperclip they had to run multiple copies of all their breakers too. I think you just slot an extra Saker and call it a day. And maybe add an extra inside job.

1 Like

We dont know what other cards the runners may get in response to it. For now you have critic (and hostage, which is really going up in value) for hunter seeker, tracker for batty, sacconstruct also helpful.

The release of Skorpios hurts recursion decks, so SoT is a bit worse now but otherwise criminal are unaffected.

As long as Corps don’t score Paper Trail, anyway. Holy crap. All-Seeing I that just needs a Trace to fire, but only kills Connections/Jobs? Still seems real good. Thank god it’s a 4/2 Agenda and those are really difficult for most Corps to play.

Is a 4/2 that they have to hard score and be richer than a famously rich runner who starts with link really any bigger a threat than snatch and grab if you’re relying on critic to duck Hunter Seeker? The worst case I think for that is against a corp that rushes it out turn 2-3 while Andy is still trying to build a board and offshore money into resources and there you’re more likely to lose Kati and a half empty Temujin than a Critic

1 Like

The best answer to critic is [[contract killer]]

Yea that’s definitely worse, especially given that all the Stinson decks are running dedication ceremony anyway, I was just thinking about a worst case for the new 4/2. Having taken a step back and realised Critic is only 1 inf I agree with your assessment that crim is still in a good place post TD, albeit maybe with a few more necessary tech slots

Juggling influence and slots will be a pain. Probably -1 something -1 sucker +1 critic +1 hostage. Not ideal but probably necessary in the near term

Just wondering, given the existence of Macrophage, would it still be a good idea for criminals to continue to rely on Medium (and Datasucker a lesser extent)?

2 Likes

I have moved away from Datasucker and Medium permanently because of that very reason. I have basically concluded before Macrophage however that R&D interface is still the best option for good stuff criminal. The biggest problem with medium in criminal is late game purges. Unlike our Anarch counterparts, Criminal has to keep paying thru expensive ice, so it can’t make the repeated runs to threaten with medium like an Anarch does late in games even thru purges.

5 Likes

Played a couple games last night with Whizzard and one with Silhouette. I know Andy would have been better, but I’ve been using Silhouette as a starter Crim.

The contrast between the two decks was pretty sharp. Whizzard blew up and destroyed everything my opponents put on the table. Para/Sifr, Cutlery, and Whizzard credits laid waste to their boards. Silhouette was able to use Siphon, Inside Job, and other blue cards to hold the Corp down for a time, but not forever. As the Corp board state grew, it became harder and harder to threaten centrals and got to place where I could only make one run ending in an access per turn. The power differential between the Anarch ice and asset feast and the Criminal control game was really obvious.

The Criminal game was tense and down-to-the-wire. I ended up losing with six points after making a run on R&D where I would see two out of 8 cards left in R&D with two agendas in the mix. I missed on that shot and my opponent was able to score out on his next turn to win the game.

The Whizzard games were stomps. My opponents could not build or defend a remote or keep me out of R&D with Medium.

I’m not sure if any of this is a problem. It may just be the nature of the Orange deck vs. the Blue deck as designed and intended. Orange is a burn deck. Blue is more control. Perhaps with more skill, I’d be better at piloting Blue to the point where it feels as overpowering as Orange does, but it will be a different kind of overpowering.

1 Like

I do find it strange that RDI haven’t been seeing much use for a while, considering its popularity during the heyday of Criminals. Granted, the MWL changes might have played a part in this, but wouldn’t the underlying reasoning to pick that over medium be the same regardless?

Another thing to consider, if hunter seekers are going to be common, having a rig that needs (or really wants) 3 breakers + medium/sucker at the same time is going to be problematic if the console gets targeted. Especially so if Scorpios is in the picture.