FFG Floor Rules

Me staring at my opponent for 5 seconds after installing a card.

3 Likes

Exactly, I felt I had but the floor rules allowed wind-backs to stop Corps playing too fast. Which is basically what the new FFG rules endorse. If the judge comes over and the Runner says “he played Shipment too quickly” and I say, “no I didn’t, I drew my NEH card, shuffled my hand a couple of times, looked at two facedown ICE and then played on”, how do you rule that?

One person’s “healthy pause” might be a fleeting second to other people, depending on experience level. I know for sure I’m at the slower end of the competitive players - I’m a part-timer at the game compared to many and don’t log a lot of time in online play. What you might consider a reasonable window for Dan D’Argenio could well be not long enough for me, or an even less experienced player. How do you call that as a judge?

You have two issues here

1. Are both players being 100% genuine in their version of events?
  2. Is the time stated sufficient for a player to make an informed decision?
2 Likes

I’ve took the habit to ask everytime I install something and there’s a clot play potential.
No way to contest :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

ie, “You blinked, I scored 5 points; pass turn.”

6 Likes

In that spot as the Runner I’d say that wasn’t long enough. Lots of things to factor in here: overseas tournament with language barriers and foreign cards etc. Just to take in the game state and assess credit pool takes more than 5 seconds to some players.

Is the onus then perhaps on the runner to put a hand up immediately and say “pause” to allow thinking time, even if they don’t end up taking an action? That’s not what the floor rules say - the onus is on the active player not to move too quickly, not the inactive one to request a window.

Calimsha has the right idea - there can be no question in his approach, but it undoubtedly adds time to games and that will really add up if you do it in every sinlge window. Maybe it’s only Clot for now, but as the game grows other windows will become important too until we have to do it literally everywhere to be safe.

2 Likes

Well, call the judge, then.

Honestly, I agree. The Floor Rules do zero to address the situation, and maybe they never can.

Good call. @eric_c ALWAYS asks if one wants to access, even if it’s a Maker’s after an Indexing.

2 Likes

Also, you say it was 5 seconds, I say you moved right on and it was 1 second tops. Who’s telling the truth? How does the judge rule that? I’m betting Runner gets the benefit of the doubt in that spot 9 times out of 10.

I think the rules have over-formalised situations that weren’t really an issue and really dodged the key questions.

Glad we’re on the same page.

I have zero problems flipping a table.

3 Likes

DQ :wink:

1 Like

Always was, I’m sure. Would be worth it.

I played in two ANRPC events this past weekend. I may have heard judge calls twice, maybe, and zero incidents.

So much for money ruining the game.

10 Likes

clearly after reaching a scoring window by being able to rez tollbooth, only to have the runner drop SMC and stimhack in a femme, one should be able to cuss in some manner.

there isn’t a way to legislate pricks. While you may be concerned about it, any real effort to legislate pricks would suck the fun and joy out of tournaments anyways. The best tool against such things is to not offer prizes of real substance, which they currently employ.

one of the better habits i’ve been able to train myself into, to save myself from getting burned on immediately showing the card by mistake. still many others i need to make part of my routine!

3 Likes

I’m training myself to ask “Do you want to jack out?” instead. This is both more technically correct, and produces occasional wonderful results.

4 Likes

Install the agenda, look at your hand for a bit, give it a few shuffles, look at the board state, play shipment. Plenty of time for a clot response.

i’ve heard of some people doing the “access?” when someone is siphoning, hoping the runner will pull a card and only afterward realize they were siphoning. very mean!

on the topic of floor rules, i posted this story last night that some people might find amusing.

5 Likes

It’s important to ask though. Actually, it’s very important with siphon to confirm they wish to continue/don’t want to jack out. What if I want to rez Dedicated Response Teams and a successful run without Siphon will lead to a potential SEA-Scorch?

Not mean. Just technically correct. I’ll take a forgotten siphon though. :wink:

Even that does not cover every situation. If the corp has either 2x Astro or SanSan in a remote and Astro scored, they can score a Breaking News immediately after installing it. If the corp has at least one Astro token and a possible SSCG in a remote, they would need to ask for reaction before every single click they spend.

2 Likes

The internationally recognised symbol for clot window is to install and raise your right eyebrow at your opponent.

They either then say “whatever, score it” or something like “not yet” and wait for an advance before a flurry of cards everywhere.

The only way to make things simpler is to ban NEH as is only right and proper.

5 Likes

And what if the runner has a Hades Shard down, with facedown (potentially agendas) in archives? Any install could be Jackson. Again, the corp should be asking for reaction before every single click they spend.

(Even worse, with cards like Queen’s Gambit, Muertos Gang Member, Drive By and the Shards, the runner should be asking for a response after every click they spend if there’s a single facedown remote!)