"High-variance decks"

One topic I didn’t see covered as much as I believe it deserves attention, is the meta.
I have the feeling, that right now on the Corp side slower decks are the hotness.
When you check the tournament winning decklists, there is a lot of HB, RP and NEH.
However, you will notice that the tournaments with a lot of players (>40) were NEVER
won by NEH.

This indicates that NEH in fact has a higher variance. The more rounds you play, the
more unlikely it is to superperform. With less rounds, chances are a lot better you catch a lucky day.

So, assuming the top ranked players likely play decks that get along really well with long-lasting games,
a higher-variance deck that is super fast might give you a better chance, if you happen to get a good start in the tournament. Also, referring to the Titan Transnational Deck, another advantage might be that it is rarely played
(compare: Cambridge, MA, Regional: 73 players, 1 Titan). So players (even the top ones), might be more likely to make subtle mistakes that they would not make against NEH, that they have played hundreds of times against.

1 Like

Oh, are the Cambridge 2015 decklists up somewhere?

It just happened yesterday, so I’m sure they’ll be up soon :). I hear Zeromus played IG into the top-4, so I’m sure everyone will freak out about that list and realize it only works for his magic hands in a month.

9 Likes

10 bucks says it has the same inf spread as a list I’m working on for the post-NRE world :smiley:

I think he posted his list a while ago; no power shutdowns, 1 biotic? Kind of standard what-everyone-tried IG.

Butcher shop was the star deck in cambridge yesterday. I think everyone is still assuming that if you know how to play against weyland SEA+scorch, and you know how to use clot against astrobiotics, then you can figure out a butcher shop matchup on the fly. Not so. You gotta respect that deck.

12 Likes

So basically the same story as with his PE list :)? He’s the Jinteki + Kit Whisperer!

magic

Yep. The NEH draw power gets its murder business online pretty quick.

3 Likes

The Warren MI (detroit) regional was rampant with butchershop. I used a first round bye, then played 3 NEH butchershops, 0 losses, then I played 1 in elim, and it beat me for the first time when it killed me missing my IHWx2 in hand.

Oh and I was running a deck that is basically butchershop, so theres that too.

This deck is everywhere right now.

1 Like

Yep, he beat me at final table to move onto top 4, was a fun deck, and I was just happy to not lose to NEH or RP :slight_smile:

finally i have a reason to keep that paper trippin in my leela deck that has been dead weight for six months lol. its been relevant once and it actually did counter a midseason out of TWIY and won me the game. my idea was since i was running security testing and siphons it might be nice to spam siphons and then if the corp let the sec testing/kati stick around turn them back on. good in theory but not so good in actual play lol

@x3r0h0ur I love how your avatar is MemStrips :laughing:

Anyone mind linking me to where Dan stated his opinion on this beautiful card? xD

2 Likes

@x3r0h0ur curious if we met at the tournament? what were you playing? butcher shop also wrecked me in the top 8, when a traffic accident missed my IHW before the scorch.

1 Like

No way! But you can have this best of:

Edit:
Also while we’re at it, now I remember taking a pretty insulting screenshot :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

We didn’t play, I was maxx eater siphon wanton and butchershop varient. I had the military style olive green hat on and regionals playmat. I think when I was on table 2 you were next to me, like round 4.

3 Likes

I cannot like that post enough :smile:

Do you mean his biotech deck? I’ve played against his IG several times and can safely say there is no biotic in it. It is a hardcore murder deck and very scary to play against.

Mod edit: user @dogs has voluntarily enrolled in Project Junebug and, in a totally unforeseeable accident, tragically flatlined. RIP dogs.

4 Likes

Oh, OOPS!

Yeah I mixed the two of them up. No idea what his IG looks like. @Zeromus?

Jinteki Corporation has no information to provide at this time.

26 Likes

I pray every night to our savior JHow that the deck prominently features a Chairman Hiro that costs 10 to trash.

5 Likes

It’ll have DBS, Ash, server diagnostics, melange, Crisium, etc I assume. I’ve got a strong IG list that’s just too slow to play in tournaments, I’m curious if Chris had found a way to speed it up.

Oh and Hokusai/Ronin/shock, the other best IG cards.

3 Likes